Prenatal Vitamins and NFP

Is it wise to take prenatal vitamins if using NFP just in case an unplanned conception occurs? Especially if the woman is 40+ years old?

[quote=DVIN CKS]Is it wise to take prenatal vitamins if using NFP just in case an unplanned conception occurs? Especially if the woman is 40+ years old?
[/quote]

I don’t think it would have a major impact one way or the other, as an NFP user would know they had become pregnant very quickly due to charting. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t take them, especially folic acid. I try to – I get on a roll and then I fall off the wagon.

You could also take them just from ovulation to the end of the cycle if you were concerned.

But, a good multivitamin isn’t a bad habit to get into whether they are prenatals or regular vitamins.

Since the prenatal vitamins made me dizzy, my doctor reccomended I take calcium, folic acid and a multivitamin. I started taking them a year before I started trying to conceive. After I did become pregnant I continued to take them. My husband and I are trying to practice NFP at this time and I am still taking calcium, folic acid and a multivitamin. This way they are already in your system and working and the folic acid helps to reduce the chances of your baby having birth defects. God bless you!

I think taking at least folic acid is wise for any woman having sex. My motto is: better to be safe than sorry.

malia

I agree with Malia. What’s more… I think public health officials should require manufacturers of contraceptives to include a label, in bold-face type, stating that folic acid should be taken along with their products. After all, those things have a “failure rate,” and the resulting babies would be at risk if the mother were deficient. (Especially in the case of the pill, since it actually depletes the body of folic acid.)

I doubt this would catch on, though, because it would actually cause contraceptive users to reflect a little on the true significance of the act. Couldn’t have that, now, could we? :rolleyes:

A nutrition teacher of mine said that a regular all-purpose vitamin like Centrum should be fine. He warned us also that sometimes the doctors may prescribe too much iron so becareful on that. I forget how much iron is recommended during pregnancy, but some doctors can go overboard.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.