Preparation and Consecration to Jesus through Mary

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Chapter 7 continues and includes St. Louis de Montfort’s method for consecrating oneself to Jesus through Mary, in his book on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin” .

A few clarifications before you read today’s post:

1. paragraph 227 states this devotion “has not been erected into a confraternity” - this was true when St. Louis wrote this, but after his death and through the Montfort Fathers there is now: “The Association of Mary, Queen of All Hearts.” – See HERE

2. please notice when St. Louis writes “they may if they wish” - he makes some suggestions, but does not require certain prayers or action, however, at times he writes “they should” etc.

3. “the first part of this preparation for the reign of Jesus Christ” is a reference to the first part of the book “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”. Some of you may already know these things, but I wanted to clarify for newcomers. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions, or comment on your own experience in the hope of helping others, by God’s Grace.

1. Preparation and Consecration

1. Those who desire to take up this special devotion, (which has not been erected into a confraternity, although this would be desirable), should spend at least twelve days in emptying themselves of the spirit of the world, which is opposed to the spirit of Jesus, as I have recommended in the first part of this preparation for the reign of Jesus Christ. They should then spend three weeks imbuing themselves with the spirit of Jesus through the most Blessed Virgin. Here is a programme they might follow:

2. During the first week they should offer up all their prayers and acts of devotion to acquire knowledge of themselves and sorrow for their sins.

Let them perform all their actions in a spirit of humility. With this end in view they may, if they wish, meditate on what I have said concerning our corrupted nature, and consider themselves during six days of the week as nothing but sails, slugs, toads, swine, snakes and goats. Or else they may meditate on the following three considerations of St. Bernard: “Remember what you were - corrupted seed; what you are - a body destined for decay; what you will be -food for worms.”

They will ask our Lord and the Holy Spirit to enlighten them saying, “Lord, that I may see,” or “Lord, let me know myself,” or the “Come, Holy Spirit”. Every day they should say the Litany of the Holy Spirit, with the prayer that follows, as indicated in the first part of this work. They will turn to our Blessed Lady and beg her to obtain for them that great grace which is the foundation of all others, the grace of self-knowledge. For this intention they will say each day the Ave Maris Stella and the Litany of the Blessed Virgin.

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful. Kindle in us the Fire of Your Love!

2 Likes

Dear patricius,

Thanks for your “faithful heart”! You have probably prayed your Act of Total Consecration to Jesus, through Mary as I have, and have also “renewed that Act of Consecration” many times as well. Over the years, I have found the 33 Days of Preparation have become more and more meaningful to me, by God’s Grace.

Especially the preliminary period during which we " should spend at least twelve days in emptying themselves of the spirit of the world, which is opposed to the spirit of Jesus. I doubt many people in the world today think much about the “spirit of the world” or how it is opposed to the spirit of Jesus. Yet it is good to be able to re-read the first part of “True Devotion”. to remind ourselves of our great need for humility and beg our Lady for " that great grace which is the foundation of all others, the grace of self-knowledge.

Few of us seek the knowledge of our sins – yet it is necessary so that that we can repent and be forgiven by God’s Great Mercy and the powerful intercession of our Mother Mary. By God’s Grace, we can be confident in God’s and Mary’s Love, as St. Louis has already taught.

1 Like

Dear Stephie,

Thanks for your “faithful heart” as well! :slight_smile: Today’s Mass readings are powerful ones, as are all God’s Words from Holy Scripture, but I was so mindful of Mary in reading the story of the courageous Mother of the 7 seven sons who suffered death rather than disobey God’s Law. She encouraged each one and especially her youngest to remain faithful to God and the wicked king after killing all her sons killed her also.

Even more than this courageous mother is the Mother of God and our Mother Mary, who stood beneath the Cross of Jesus as Mother and Model for his Church!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.