Preparation for Stations of the Cross

Hi all,

I’m looking for some help in preparing for the Stations of the Cross on Tuesday/Wednesday. This will be the first time I’ve been able to go to it, and I don’t know what it is or what to say etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Louise

Is it being led by a group?

Go in with an open mind, and be attentive to everything that happens.

They will begin with a song, and then there will be readings and prayers for each of the Stations. These vary from place to place, and from age group to age group, other than that they will be related to the event of that Station - for example, on “Jesus is Condemned,” there are choices of Scripture readings, but it will be one of the ones that recounts that event - they won’t just pick something totally random.

Two people will carry candles (one candle each) and one person will carry a cross from station to station. If it’s a large group, the people will stay in their places rather than follow the cross and candles. Smaller groups follow behind the cross and candles.

In between each station, it’s customary to sing a short verse; the choice of verse will depend on who’s leading the event.

Certain things remain the same no matter what:

As the person carrying the Cross arrives at each Station, everyone genuflects. A leader will say, “We adore Thee, O Christ, and we bless Thee.”

Everyone will respond: “Because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world.”

(Younger groups will use “your” and “you” instead of “thy” and “thou.”)

There are 14 Stations in all, and they recount the last journey of Christ from when He was condemned until He was buried in the tomb.

At the station where He was crucified, it is customary to remain kneeling throughout the whole prayer and Scripture reading. There is also a time of silence after the reading.

Most churches will hand out small booklets for you to follow and a “leader” will do the main meditations and lead the main prayers. You really don’t need to prepare as it is pretty much done for you and you prayerfully follow. If you wish you can pray privately before and after. Just follow along. Peace.

I just read the post above mine. There are always some differences in the observation of the stations. Just follow along and be at peace.

Here is a well-known version of The Way (Stations) of the Cross, composed by St. Alphonsus Liguori, just to give you an idea of what to expect.

But I agree with Mary Estelle: Just follow along and be at peace. :slight_smile:

Video: The Stations of the Cross by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Text: The Way of the Cross by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Booklet: The Way of the Cross

If you’re not by yourself, just follow along.

MOST churches hand out booklets, so just follow along:thumbsup:

For more information: GOOGLE “Stations of the Cross”

There are MANY good sites to give you information

GOD BLESS YOU!

Like the Rosary this is an important Catholic Prayer

Patrick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.