Preparing for baptist questions about mass

So Steve Ray is coming tonight to the Cathedral in Phoenix to speak about defending the Eucharist: how a Baptist came to believe. Im planning on taking my dad who is southern Baptist to the mass and his talk. I want to be prepared for any questions he might have about the mass and what we do during it. A few things that come to mind are dipping finger in holy water and making sign of cross, kneeling, misslettes, why we call it a homily instead of a sermon. Can someone explain these, why we do them, and where are the found in the bible. And any other details about the mass that you might think a Baptist would have questions about. Thank you

Dipping a finger in holy water is a remembrance of our Baptism. Kneeling is a sign of respect. Usually we kneel during times like the consecration, when Jesus becomes fully present to us in the Eucharist. The Sign of the Cross is a symbol of our faith. We use missalettes or missals so that people can follow the Mass and so that they can read the readings in advance to prepare themselves for Mass. In the past, the Mass was said completely in Latin, so people followed along in a missal so that they could understand what was going on and find the appropriate responses.

If he asks where we get the readings from, you can tell him that they are on a 3-year cycle. In Year A we read the Gospel of Matthew, Year B we read the Gospel of Mark, and Year C we read the Gospel of Luke. (The Gospel of John is reserved for specific feasts.) This way, we can read the entire Bible in 3 years just by going to Mass.

As far as specific things being in the Bible, you can ask him where it says in the Bible that ALL truth is contained in Scripture. (Here’s a hint: it doesn’t say that anywhere.) In fact, on NUMEROUS occasions the Biblical authors make allusions to things that are NOT written down but are still part of the deposit of faith. These form Sacred Tradition, the body of oral teachings that come down from the Apostles. If he says “we’re not supposed to follow man’s tradition” you can point out that this is God’s, not man’s, tradition. St. Paul tells the believers to follow the traditions that were taught to them. The third source of our faith is the Magisterium, or the teaching office of the Church. EVERY new teaching must be in harmony with every previous teaching, because divine revelation is complete. (Here’s another question for him: Where does it say in Scripture that divine revelation is complete? It doesn’t!)

I’m sure you will do just fine…getting him to attend is half the battle!

I would walk through the Order of the Mass, so many of his questions can be answered before the Mass, and he will feel comfortable following what is going on.

In the Introductory Rites talk about the procession, and how the Crucifix leads the way, making Jesus front and center, the Word is next (which is Jesus), and finally the priest is last…not the “star” of our worship.

Discus the sign of the cross, the collect, and the Baptists will love the Liturgy of the Word, and how the Mass draws from the Old Testament, Psalms, New Testament Letters, with the Gospel being the highlight…that will surprise many protestants who don’t see us as “Bible Christians”.

Point out how the Gloria comes from the proclamation of the angels birth of Christ, and the Creed is contradictory to even protestant beliefs.

Show how the church itself, goes back to Jewish roots…that the Altar is the place for sacrifice, but rather than an unblemished animal being sacrificed, we represent (re-present) the sacrifice of The Lamb of God.

Etc., Etc., Etc…

Always point out how everything is directed to Christ. Don’t worry about the deeper theology of the True Presence, etc. They aren’t going to understand that, or accept it in one mass.

Just provide loving charitable accounts of what it means to Catholics…save catechesis for another time.

Good Luck with your evangelization!

Pray for me, at Mass…I will be praying for you and your guest.

This is good and I would add that Jesus did not leave us a book (Bible). He left us a church; Matthew 16, V 18? (I think).:thumbsup:

[quote=His_helpmeet]As far as specific things being in the Bible, you can ask him where it says in the Bible that ALL truth is contained in Scripture. (Here’s a hint: it doesn’t say that anywhere.)
[/quote]

This was one of the major “light bulb moments” for me in my journey towards the Church: sola scriptura isn’t scriptural at all!!! :eek: Talk about your revelations!

[quote=Neofight]the Baptists will love the Liturgy of the Word, and how the Mass draws from the Old Testament, Psalms, New Testament Letters, with the Gospel being the highlight…that will surprise many protestants who don’t see us as “Bible Christians”.
[/quote]

:yup: I was exposed to so many untruths and misperceptions of the Catholic faith over the years, and this was one of them. I think many of my Protestant friends would be surprised (pleasantly) to learn that next week I’ll begin participating in an 8-week study of Galatians at my parish. The Mass is rich with Scripture!

I’ve also been pleased that so far, my RCIA sessions have focused more on developing our relationships with God and developing our prayer lives than with the nuts and bolts of becoming specifically “Catholic.” We didn’t really start to study the Catechism until after four sessions. The Catholic Church is most definitely “Christian!”

Thank you guys for the help. Does anyone know why we call the priest talking a homily instead of a sermon?

According to the visiting priest who delivered the homily at my parish on Sunday, the difference is about 15 minutes. :wink:

You piqued my curiosity, though, so I did a quick Google search. Searching the definition of “homily” alone just led me to dictionary sites that treated “homily” and “sermon” as synonyms. When I changed the search to “difference between homily and sermon,” I found: ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?number=468930 , which says:

“A homily is a treatment of the Mass Readings, should be application of those readings. A sermon is not limited to the reading of the day, but may be delivered on most any religious topic. A lay person, to my knowledge, may deliver neither a homily nor sermon, but may give a talk on some particular area, e.g. social need, enrollment in a pious cause, at the cl0se of the liturgy. Fr. Bob Levis”

Hope that helps!

oh also I know that certain parts of the mass are supposed to be found in revelation. Can you guys show me which chapter and verses show the different parts of the mass?

You may want to give him this book…amazon.com/dp/1935940007/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=35053682844&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1207913821342473272&hvpone=9.78&hvptwo=25&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8xjq70mj8d_b

This gives the Scriptural references to the Mass: catholicbible101.com/scriptureinthemass.htm

Or this: catholic-resources.org/Bible/Biblical-Mass-Texts.htm

There are quite a few from Revelation, but these are the most important:

Gloria

Priest and Congregation: Glory to God in the highest, and peace to his people on earth (cf. Lk. 2:14). Lord God, heavenly King, almighty God and Father, (Rev. 19:6) we worship you (Rev. 22:9), we give you thanks (Eph. 5:20), we praise you for your glory (Rev. 7:12).

Priest: This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to his supper (Rev. 19:9).

Priest and Congregation: Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed (cf. Mt. 8:8).

If the Confeitior is said be prepared for questions about the communion of saints, praying to the Blessed Mother. Also in many parishes the Hail Mary is included in the prayers of the faithful.

[quote=johnnyc176;12344310. Also in many parishes the Hail Mary is included in the prayers of the faithful.
[/QUOTE]

Only in the UK I believe, as a special concession because of the ancient title for England of ‘Our Lady’s Dowry’.
[/quote]

My current parish here in the states includes it and I have been in other parishes that included it.

my parish had a particular priest who would add it, but only occasionally

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.