Pres. Obama grants 153 commutations and 78 pardons, the most individual acts of clemency granted in one day by a U.S. president

Pres. Obama has now commuted the sentences of 1,176 individuals, pardoned 148 individuals in his time as president. abcn.ws/2hB1Vvy

Bravo. The obscenely long sentences for drug related crimes (and various inequities in sentencing) has been a sore spot for many people.

I just read a story in the Chicago Tribune about a woman that was locked up for 49 days in the County Jail. Poor woman was sentenced to community service 23 years ago, judge waived extra time, but the system showed she never completed her sentence. She was working in a store for the past 15 years, she got pulled for selling cigarettes to a minor or some slap on the wrist ticket and this warrant popped up. She was held no bail for 49 days for a judge to throw it in the garbage. The Sheriff’s Office was appalled at his own Jail when the audit revealed this.

??? Then why didn’t pardon or commute them a long time ago?

I wonder if Obama would have pardoned all of them if Hillary won?

Just like I wonder if Bill Clinton would have pardoned all of the people he pardoned if Gore would have won.

??

I’m sure he would have. Pardons/Commutations have very little to do with elections, and much more to do with legacy. What would not pardoning them do for Hillary? and How does it hurt the incoming President?

Unfortunately, some were there on drug charges because more serious charges could not
be proven. Hopefully, those will not go on to do more criminal acts.

Who? Normally any inclination of more serious crime and the pardon is revoked. Name a specific individual that is being pardoned or commuted, and more serious charges could not be proven.

He has been pardoning and commuting for at least a year or two, a time before the current outcome was predicted. Those were also drug offenses he commuted. I feel it is part of an effort to rectify a few issues.

Once again, this “Muslim” president (as so many on the Right have styled him) is acting as a true Christian.

It will be interesting to see his “farewell” pardon list. I’m guessing it will be a long one.

If think a closer examination of the people he set free is in order before we call this action ‘Christian’.

were these victimless crimes?

I believe some one has to bring it to his attention. Generally, Presidents rely on the DoN to review applications.

Amen! Mercy is a good, holy thing and we should always celebrate it! :slight_smile:

I am confused about the pardons, because I haven’t heard a lot of details, and also because of the idea of pardoning some people who are serving “obscenely long” sentences for drug offenses, but not others? Surely there are more than 1500 people serving overblown drug sentences?

I hope that Trump overhauls our justice system while dealing with the problems of the inner city. It just seems like a lot of stuff has gotten out of control, and some of the private contractors are not handling prisoners in a humane way, and possibly not the state-run facilities either.

I think that the person has to have committed no other crimes, been relatively well behaved in prison, non-violent, stuff like that. From what I read, there is a vetting process.

Pres. Obama actually visited some jails last year and talked to people about how they ended up in Jail. Vice did a 1 hour story on it.

vice.com/read/watch-fixing-the-system-our-hbo-special-report-about-americas-broken-criminal-justice-system-985

Awesome!

What we need in America is forgiveness and compassion for those who have made mistakes. Obviously you don’t grant pardons to everyone (no person wants to see a multiple-round sex offender or serial killer released from prison) but you have to give a second chance to non-violent drug offenders.

“Let he without sin cast the first stone.”

Without knowing the facts of each individual case, it’s impossible to decide whether the clemency was warranted. But, the president has the right to do it as has every president before him. While each president has a process, I’m not aware of anything placing limitations on what crimes he can pardon.

On a hopeful note, 49 of the pardons were for firearms related offenses so hopefully he’s looked at some of the ridiculous restrictions some states have placed and the injustice of those convictions.

Sorry I was waiting to respond after I had researched, but I have not had time and won’t
for a while. It was also before the actual pardoning and may have been a general
remark, not a specific one…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.