Pres. Obama writes a final thank you letter to Americans: "You made me a better President, and you made me a better man."

twitter.com/ABC/status/822112156187586562

I vehemently disagree with many of Obama’s views and actions as President, but he certainly does now how to be classy when the situation calls for it.

I still find him as enigmatic as he was at the beginning of his presidency.

Imagine Trump writing something with an ounce of this kind of class.

It is difficult to imagine, but I suppose we will see. I’m still holding out hope that Trump has it in him. Maybe we will see a different side of him after tomorrow.

A year from tomorrow, remember these words, “We’re Going to Miss, President Obama.”

He was a president with class, dignity and wisdom.

Jim

I see it as someone who is a master of manipulation.

I apologize for being cynical, but I had Obama figured out from day 1.

This has been the longest good-bye because he really doesn’t want to go. How will he be the center of attention and who will he lecture now?

Until Twitter ceases to exist, the art of classy communication will continue on a downhill slope.

No doubt.

I could try to imagine it, but I don’t want to risk an aneurysm.

You mean like his New Years tweet? I suppose just the first few words of it might have been almost an ounce.

Center of attention? Uh oh you’re not gonna like this new guy. :smiley:

You could very well be correct. But then we can hardly criticize those critics of Trump who refuse to give him a chance or the benefit of the doubt because they already have him figured out from day one. Pegging Trump as a master manipulator and one who wants to be the center of attention wouldn’t be difficult to do.

I don’t know. I don’t particularly like Obama. But I’d like to at least give him the benefit of the doubt every once in a while that he is sincere, even though he is sincerely wrong in many of his views. If we can’t give our ideological opponents the benefit of the doubt every once in a while, I don’t see how our divisions will do anything but get much deeper in the years to come.

I would check his “farewell” address from last Friday night. He was rather less classy in his words that evening.

Eloquence and class are often conflated anymore, though. Reminds me of the old saying that an Irishman can tell man to go to hell in such a way that he’ll look forward to the trip. President Obama isn’t quite that good but his eloquence has certainly masked a lot of coded language and made banal, lofty speeches seem to be more substantive than they really were.

You may be right about missing Obama. I generally believe it is true that despite how terrible the previous president was you eventually wish he was still president. It has not so much to do with the person but the office. The US president has powers that would have made a king of old envious. In merely maintaining the government he is maintaining its abusive power. But since the government always grows the latest president has even more abusive power then the previous. Since the government never shrinks the latest president is necessarily the worst. If Trump were to a actually roll back the state some then he may not be as disliked as Obama. As much as I hope he will I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t.

:thumbsup:

I think he’ll find a way.

Oh believe me Joe, despite my misgivings from the beginning, I most definitely was ready to give him a chance. I was not that stubborn. It did not take long though, for me to realize he was horribly misguided in the direction he wanted to take our country.

As I am writing this, Donald Trump is officially our new president. I made it through those 8 years of Obama. I prayed I would and now I hope our country will turn in the right direction again and we can fix the problems facing our country instead of creating
more.

I am sure he will.

Do you have a link to that address? Certainly, I realize that rhetorical eloquence can have such effects and that Obama isn’t classy all the time. I like the old saying about the Irishman. :stuck_out_tongue: There’s definitely plenty of that present.

I’m glad you weren’t that stubborn. :slight_smile: I can’t say I was super ready to give Obama a chance 8 years ago. :o

I am hopeful about the change in Presidents. I have been reflecting on how simply being able to say we “made it through” is somewhat hopeful. 8 years ago, I know many were afraid that FOCA was coming and the country would never survive. But we’re still here (though marriage and religious liberty have been battered a bit along the way).

Now a different group of people is fretting that the country will not survive Trump’s presidency. But I’m sure we will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.