Presage in Scripture & Writings

I am putting this post in this particular section because I know we have many good Scripture scholars who are Orthodox, Protestant etc.and I hope they will participate.

We hear in Dei Verbum-- "As the Second Vatican Council declared: “God, the inspirer and author of the books of both Testaments, wisely arranged that the New Testament be hidden in the Old and the Old be made manifest in the New” - to those who have studied both Testaments we know this is called “presage” - that is the OT uses language, symbols and allusions which foreshadow or are as “omens” to the NT, the coming and life of Christ. Many of our prayers include the same language and symbology.

A large number of writers, poets, homilists have provided us with exquisite examples of these foreshadowings between the two testaments and I wondered if anyone here would like to share their findings of them.

I always start with the Litany of Loreto (circa 1500’s)

Mirror of justice,

Seat of wisdom,

Spiritual vessel,

Vessel of honor,

Mystical rose,

Tower of David

Tower of ivory,

House of gold,

Ark of the Covenant,

Gate of Heaven,

Ayone else care to post something they have?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.