Presbyterian Church USA Defeats Motion to Care for Babies Born Alive After Abortion

From lifenews.com/2014/06/23/presbyterian-church-usa-defeats-motion-to-care-for-babies-born-alive-after-abortion/

The Presbyterian Church USA has voted to endorse Kermit Gosnell. Delegates meeting in Detroit at the 221st General Assembly of the 1.8 million–member Presbyterian Church (USA) voted down a measure that would have the church endorse care for babies born alive after abortions.

“Also Thursday, 78 percent of the PCUSA General Assembly struck down a resolution condemning the killing of babies born alive during abortions, as occurred with notorious abortionist Kermit Gosnell. Initiated by the South Alabama presbytery, it called for inclusion of pro-life Presbyterians and an investigation into doctrinal and financial support of abortion. Dissenters cited pro-abortion stances, while others noted past affirmation of viable babies and reservations in commenting on criminal cases. (World Magazine)”

One pro-life advocate who serves as a watchdog of mainline Protestant denominations had this to say:

“Mainline Protestantism, at least in its official curia, has been liberal for nearly 100 years. But for most of that century it was a thoughtful, dignified liberalism that still roughly adhered to historic Christianity’s moral architecture, even if it no longer upheld the core doctrine. But the yonder years of stately Protestantism, at least in the old Mainline, are largely over.”

Getting far less attention was the PCUSA General Assembly’s overwhelming rejection of legislation that urged a “season of reflection” on the denomination’s support for abortion-rights, including its long-time membership in the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice (RCRC), which opposes any restrictions on abortion. Liberal Mainline Protestantism, starting in the 1960s, began its first major break with traditional Christian ethics by embracing abortion rights, discarding traditional notions about sacred human life in favor of radical autonomous individualism. The Mainline’s support for abortion and implied hostility to large families, now compounded by its redefinition of marriage and divorcing of sex from marriage, have all helped to create a culture where the typical Mainline congregation is now largely gray headed and has few if any children.

Of course, some media reports will hail the PCUSA’s ostensibly courageous shift leftward as heralding the irresistible tides of history and representing Christianity’s future. But after about a half century of continuous decline, neither the PCUSA nor any Mainline denomination can be seriously seen as any barometer of mainstream religious trends, not in the U.S., and even less so around the world. Reportedly many overseas Presbyterian churches, many of them now larger than the PCUSA, are prepared to break ties with the PCUSA over its abandonment of Christian sexual teaching. Some of them already have.

Witness the continued death-knell of mainline liberal Protestantism.

If I were a PCUSA member I would be running, seriously like the building was on fire.

Well, what is their recommendation for those babies…where will they be taken to be cared for?

They don’t have any recommendations, other than it is up to the doctor and the woman. Probably not much different than the recommendations that the priests of Molech had.

Gives a whole new meaning to the initials SS.

sola secular-humanism

Jon

One has to wonder if the ELCA will continue its partnership with the PCUSA under the Formula of Agreement.

:hmmm:

Jon

I’m not holding my breath for any change there.

We started running in 2011 and more than three years later we are at the finish line, but haven’t broken it yet. Our church was 94% in favor of leaving PCUSA. I’m in a very liberal, secular area of central California on the coast. We’re not by far the only ones leaving from our area.

“A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians” or ECO for short.

I think the general course of action is to lay the baby aside until he or she breathes their last.
:frowning:

Why do they even bother going to church if they are going to re-write all of the rules according to their own convenience and will?
Every kind of sin is now not only permissible and laudable, but tagged with ‘sacred’.
scratching head Don’t they know that they can’t change God to suit them?

(and yes, I am reflecting on where I may be doing this in my own life as I write this)

“If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don’t like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself.”
~Saint Augustine

The membership of the Presbyterians have been bleeding out for the past 20 years to make the current votes possible. I had a Presbyterian professor in my (secular) college that reflected the same mentality. He was an intellectually and theologically confused man that adopted so much of secular liberalism yet still had this latent yearning to continue to identify with his Presbyterianism. The result? Change your values but keep your label.

The Presbyterian Church was one of the many churches I taste tested along the way to Rome. Moral alarms went off for this very reason because in my head I could only make logical sense of two scenarios: Christianity is right or it is wrong. Revelation can’t evolve because it’s already as advanced as it can get.

Having said that (and I agree with most of your assessment), there are a few, smaller, Presbyterian denominations that did not drink from the liberal Kool-Aid in the early 20th century. The Orthodox Presbyterian Church and the Presbyterian Church in America among them. The PCUSA just happens to be the largest.

Up until a couple months ago, I was PC-USA, although my church is attempting to secede to ECO. I got an email from our session yesterday reiterating our belief in the sanctity of life, marriage between one man and one woman, chastity in singleness, the Bible is the word of God, and support for Israel despite what the General Assembly has decided. Still, a portion of every dollar I donate to my local church is given to the governing body to support these anti-Christian beliefs.

If I hadn’t left them for the Catholic Church a few months ago, I would be running out the door now. My church had lost about half of its membership over these issues.

Like the media silence on the Gosnell murders, the defeat of the motion was intended to maintain plausible deniability on the matter, however implausible the deniability might be. Had the Alabama group introduced a resolution asking for a positive affirmation of Gosnell, it would have been voted down also for the same reason: people can still say, “Well of course I don’t approve of such things, but I wouldn’t want to use that to attack legal abortion.”

A much more explicit statement was made in allowing pastors to perform wedding ceremonies for homosexual couples -- which I link to here to give an example of the difference between the attempt to maintain silence and the desire to directly enter into agreement with the secular culture:

pcusa.org/news/2014/6/19/assembly-approves-allowing-pastors-perform-same-ge/

I don’t understand how moral issues could be seen as so flimsy, so as to be left up to a vote. It reminds me of a pre-Islamic Meccan practice where female babies would be buried alive by their own parents. To the pagans, female babies were thought to have been a source of bad fortune. Is that not what most abortions today are done for? the thought that “my life could turn out badly if I have this kid weighing me down, therefore I want to abort my child”.

Perhaps it’s just me. I see parellels, though.

A horribly painful death.

This is the first I’ve heard of it, but from what you’ve posted … sad.

No, it isn’t just you. I have often drawn parallels between the practice of human sacrifice and abortion.
Human sacrifice was performed to ‘appease’ the gods for health, wealth, rain, sun, or whatever the current ‘necessity’ in the culture was (as they saw it). Abortions are performed for the same reason, the gods of convenience (I don’t want a child right now), the gods of wealth (I can’t afford a child right now, OR having a child will get in the way of my career), the gods of health (so many claim health issues, and how bearing a child will negatively affect theirs) and many others.
The fact is, abortions are performed for the same illogical reasons that human sacrifices were.

God bless.

I would take a quick exit out of that entity in the USA.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.