Presbyterians Approve Gay Marriage

NEW YORK (AP) — The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has expanded its definition of marriage to include a “commitment between two people,” recognizing gay marriage as Christian in the church constitution after decades of debate over same-sex relationships.

The redefinition was endorsed last year by the church General Assembly, or top legislative body, but required approval from a majority of the Louisville, Kentucky-based denomination’s 171 regional districts, or presbyteries. The critical 86th “yes” vote came Tuesday night from the Presbytery of the Palisades in New Jersey.

“So many families headed by LGBTQ couples have been waiting for decades to enter this space created for their families within their church communities,” said the Rev. Robin White, a leader of More Light Presbyterians, which advocates for gay acceptance.

After all regional bodies finish voting and top Presbyterian leaders officially accept the results, the change will take effect June 21. The denomination has nearly 1.8 million members and about 10,000 congregations and is now the largest Protestant group to authorize gay weddings churchwide.

Last year, Presbyterians allowed ministers to preside at gay weddings if local church leaders approved in the states where same-sex unions were legally recognized. The new wording for the church Book of Order extends that authorization to every congregation and reads, “Marriage involves a unique commitment between two people, traditionally a man and a woman, to love and support each other for the rest of their lives.”

More:
usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/03/18/presbyterians-approve-gay-marriage-in-church-constitution

:dts:

How revolting …

Is not the Presbyterian a Church that subscribes to Sola Scriptura? If not someone correct me please. If so, how can they “redefine marriage?” Were they wrong in the first place no. Are they wrong now, yes.

Unbelievable.

Mary.

In 30years, those of us lucky to be alive may see (if the PCUSA survives or merges) the headline “PCUSA/TEC/ELCA redefine two and people as ‘more than one’ and ‘breathing’”…:rolleyes:

:nope::nope::nope::nope:

My old denomination. Sad to see this happen to it; but so glad I’m converting to Catholicism!

The reformation has shown what their Christianity means. We need to pray.

Enjoy your journey home!~
Mary.

Hopefully more and more people will be doing what you are. How can churches vote on what is right and what is wrong but they do it.

I heard of one Presbyterian church that voted on the divinity of Christ. They said He was not the Son of God after all. The older members had to leave after being members for years. They were heartbroken. That church isn’t even Christian anymore.

“So many families headed by LGBTQ couples have been waiting for decades to enter this space created for their families within their church communities,” said the Rev. Robin White, a leader of More Light Presbyterians, which advocates for gay acceptance.

:clapping: :clapping:

Well, we can expect to see much much more of this type of thing as the world moves toward it’s “end of days”…
…And, it will get much much worse before it gets better!

It should be “Presbyterians agree to redefine Marriage”. :frowning:

MJ

This wasn’t sola scriptura… it was a democratic vote based on a man-made tradition.

You may want to ponder the thought that the same forces which have brought this to bear in the PCUSA are also working to bring it to Roman Catholicsm.

That does cause concern, but then I am comforted in knowing that our doctrines are protected by the Holy Spirit. Even wicked popes who engaged in grave sin didn’t change it. I highly doubt Francis will, either. He keeps being portrayed as leftist, but that is too political. He is a servant of God and simply allows the Holy Spirit to guide him. He has backed the teachings of the Church time and again.

Oddly, that thought might be even more disconcerting for orthodox Lutherans, and other types of traditional protestants than even for Catholics. :hmmm:

Jon

I know exactly what you mean. It’s curious how we are dismayed (but not really surprised) when a Protestant church succumbs to popular culture, but we rely on the Roman Catholic (and Orthodox!) Churches to stand as the (last?) bulwark.

“What does this mean?” (catechism reference/Lutheran insider remark) :frowning:

You’re right, if sola scriptura means that scripture is the final norm. The question then is, how does the PC-USA support their decision from scripture, in light of Genesis 2, and various books of the NT?
And for Lutherans who applaud this, how does a Lutheran defend this from scripture and the confessions?

Jon

Once a Church accepts heresy as doctrine, it loses it’s moral credibility and is doomed to failure. If you accept one heresy then you open the floodgates for accepting others.

Take the Dutch Reformed Church is South Africa (of which I used to be a member).

They declared the heresy that is Apartheid and racial segregation to be “divinely ordained”, until they decided in the 1980’s it wasn’t. (The pastors who disagreed eventually formed their own splinter Church, The Afrikaans Protestant Church (APK).

Post Apartheid, they have accepted the heresy of moral relativism, i.e many pastors support same sex marriage and abortion, they accepted the Belhar Declaration (which contains elements of Liberation Theology) and in some seminaries they even teach that Jesus was not the Son of God, he didn’t die for our sins and didn’t raise from the dead, that he was merely a teacher.

The problem is not simply the DRC’s teachings on the Dvinity of Christ, abortion, same sex marriage and Liberation Theology. They don’t have one teaching on these issues but thousands. Different parishes might as well be completely different denominations.

In the meantime former members of the DRC are defecting in massive numbers to other Churches (including the Catholic Church in some cases) or abandoning Christianity altogether.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.