Prescott PD: 'Dark Lord' arrested for burning, urinating on Bible

PRESCOTT, AZ (CBS5) - A 22-year-old man referring to himself as the “Dark Lord” was arrested for after he allegedly set a Bible on fire and then urinated on it on the front steps of a Prescott rescue mission.

14news.com/story/26405602/prescott-pd-dark-lord-arrested-for-burning-urinating-on-bible?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

According to a different news report, he was arrested for “unlawful symbol burning.” Here is what Arizona state law says about that charge:

13-1708. Unlawful symbol burning; classification

A. It is unlawful for a person to burn or cause to be burned any symbol not addressed by section 13-1707 on the property of another person without that person’s permission or on a highway or any other public place with the intent to intimidate any person or group of persons. The intent to intimidate may not be inferred solely from the act of burning the symbol, but shall be proven by independent evidence.

B. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.
law.onecle.com/arizona/criminal-code/13-1708.html

I suppose the law was drafted to be used in situations such as the KKK burning a cross on someone’s property. So the crime was not against the Bible (which presumably belonged to him), but against the Christians the man was attempting to intimidate.

Theoretically, a class one misdemeanor could be punished with up to six months of prison. However, a web search suggests that, in practice, a first time offender will get probation and possibly a fine.

In this particular case, I suspect drugs or mental illness were important factors, which may affect how the arrest is handled.

It seems an appropriate response. If he is mentally ill, then jail is the normative place for such people in society today, sad thought that may be. If he is not mentally ill but just a jerk, then he can learn the legal limits of free speech the hard way.

As disrespectful and disgusting as this behavior is, I am only mildly surprised in today’s world.

I would have to say that I completely agree with you Meltzerboy.

Delusional people are RAMPANT, sign of the times,
I guess. As Jer. 20:7 says, Jeremiah saw himself as
deluded by the LORD!

Just think if a white TEA PARTY person did this to the Koran. :rolleyes:

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.