Prescriptions

I go to electrolysis (hair removal) by a lady who offers the service at her home. She gets a numbing cream with a prescription , and sells it. I’ve bought it before in the past from her to use on the area I want to numb. My question is, is it a sin to use or buy it??

In the United States I believe that is illegal (sharing/selling prescription medication) so probably not the Christian thing to do.

Well it’s illegal to buy/sell prescriptions so if you consider illegal activities a sin, then yes.

Having had electrolysis, I know how painful it can be; but I do think that since what she’s doing is illegal it would be considered a sin to continue to buy it from her.

Thank you. I already used it right before I posted this thread. Is that a mortal sin??

I think she is doing something illegal, and thus you are receiving goods that are being distributed illegally. Not a good idea. And if this person is doing this with you, what else are they doing that could be illegal?

Time to go someplace else.

I can’t find anywhere that the Church has said that purchasing a controlled substance from someone other than a pharmacist is a sin, let alone a mortal sin.

So unless someone has a source citation, the answer would be most likely, no.

Not all civil and criminal laws are moral issues, contrary to popular opinion.

I think that the Fourth Commandment requires that one obey civil authorities in all that is not sinful.

2240 Submission to authority and co-responsibility for the common good make it morally obligatory to pay taxes, to exercise the right to vote, and to defend one’s country:

Pay to all of them their dues, taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.45 [Christians] reside in their own nations, but as resident aliens. They participate in all things as citizens and endure all things as foreigners. . . . They obey the established laws and their way of life surpasses the laws. . . . So noble is the position to which God has assigned them that they are not allowed to desert it.46
The Apostle exhorts us to offer prayers and thanksgiving for kings and all who exercise authority, "that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way."47

Catechism of the Catholic Church.

That is illegal and as such a sin. I would argue that whether it is mortal or venial depends on whether it is a felony or misdemeanor.

Also, if you got caught with those you could end up doing time in jail or prison.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.