PRESENTATION OF MARY (Friday 21st Nov 2008)

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/pictures/11_21_mary_presentation.jpg
PRESENTATION OF MARY
[LEFT][/LEFT]
[LIST]
*]Mary in the Byzantine Liturgy
[/LIST]Today the Church celebrates the memorial of the Presentation of Mary. The three feasts of the birthday of Our Lady, the holy Name of Mary and her Presentation in the Temple correspond in the Marian cycle with the first three feasts of the cycle of feasts of our Lord: namely, Christmas, the Holy Name of Jesus, and His Presentation in the Temple (February 2)

[FONT=Arial Black]Presentation of Mary[/FONT]

[LEFT]"Sacred Scripture contains no text concerning the event commemorated in today’s liturgy. For something of a historical background one may consult the apocryphal works, particularly the Protoevangel of St. James (ch. 4:1ff). After an angel had revealed her pregnancy, Anna is said to have vowed her future child Mary to the Lord. Soon after birth the infant was brought to the sacred precincts at which only the best of Israel’s daughters were admitted. At the age of three she was transferred to the temple proper (7:2). According to legend, here she was reared like a dove and received her nourishment from the hand of an angel (8:1). [/LEFT]
[LEFT]

"In the East, where the feast, celebrated since the eighth century, is kept as a public holiday, it bears the name, ‘The Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple’. It was introduced at Rome by a Cypriotic legate to the papal court of Avignon in 1371. In 1472, Sixtus IV extended its observance to the whole Church. Abolished by Pius V, it was reintroduced some years later (1585)."
Excerpted from The Church’s Year of Grace, Pius Parsch. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Things to Do:
[/LEFT]
[LIST]
*][LEFT]Meditate on the mystery of Mary’s temporary dwelling in the sanctuary of the Old Covenant as a preparation for the approaching season of Advent;[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Locate the order of contemplative nuns closest to you and visit their monastery (you may want to request their prayers and you might consider supporting them financially); Spend 30 minutes reading the Bible;[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Learn more about Mary in the Byzantine Liturgy and say one of the beautiful prayers of the Eastern liturgy in honor of Mary.[/LEFT]
[/LIST]

Thank you for the reminder, Barb. On Feasts of Our Lady, we like to place a crown of roses on Her head; So when I saw this thread, for a moment… I thought… “Oh no! We missed it!” because the day (November 20th) is half over, here.

But then, I remembered… you are “Down Under” and about a full day ahead of us in the U.S. Whew! We didn’t miss it. It’s still Nov. 20th here. :rotfl:

God bless.

At first I had exactly the same thought as you, Marie Veronica, that I’d missed it - then remembered the big time difference!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

Thank you for posting this BarbaraTherese. :slight_smile: This is the first year that I have known about the Presentation of Mary, and I made my full act of consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in the method of True Devotion to Mary for the first time yesterday, the Feast where I live was yesterday, Friday. I wonder why the Roman Catholic liturgy does not celebrate the feast while the Eastern Orthodox liturgy does. Hope you don’t mind that I am using your perpetual adoration link. :wink: I hope it is not being irreverent if I like to keep it as one of my homepages, and hang out with the Sacred Heart of Jesus while my computer is on even if I am not praying or doing anything holy!! :eek:

Free information on almost all I know on devoting oneself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
Pereptual online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Hi again AVM…Our Eastern Liturgy is particularly beautiful I think!
You are very welcome, Laus Dei, to the Adoration link - I have no claim on it for sure and the more it becomes known and loved, the better. Some of us are unable to get to actual Adoration and the website, which is live, is the very best next thing - and I am sure since The Lord is not miserly nor bound by our human rules will be with us on the online link to Adoration, just as if we were actually bodily present in Church before Him. God is Good!

Sometimes I leave it open in my toolbar too and may spend moments now and then with The Lord. And in the duties and calls of our different ways of life and sometimes not connected in anyway whatsoever with ‘religion and holy matters’ (or so it seems) are still always at work for God, since this whole universe and all in it that is good without exception has its beginning and end in God. We can be confident of that.:thumbsup: As we build up our lives and the lives of those around us in all that is good - goodness of any kind always has God as Alpha and Omega…be it very great good or most miniscule. All goodness flows directly from God and back to Him including through us. As we go about our daily lives in the state of Grace and no matter if something we are about is directly connected to what is ‘holy’ or whether it seems to be not so connected, our whole being which is about it is in the state of Grace, hence working in and for The Lord - in The Blessed Trinity.

Blessings and my warm regards…barb:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.