President-elect Trump says how many immigrants he’ll deport

“What we are going to do is get the people that are criminal and have criminal records, gang members, drug dealers, where a lot of these people, probably two million, it could be even three million, we are getting them out of our country or we are going to incarcerate,” Trump said in an interview with CBS’ “60 Minutes.” “But we’re getting them out of our country, they’re here illegally.”

“After the border is secure and after everything gets normalized, we’re going to make a determination on the people that they’re talking about who are terrific people, they’re terrific people but we are gonna make a determination at that,” he said. “But before we make that determination…it’s very important, we are going to secure our border.”

cbsnews.com/news/president-elect-trump-says-how-many-immigrants-hell-deport/

IMO that is what most people are in favor of.

What is shocking to me is how shocking these statements are to us. There is really not that much wrong with them. It is amazing how desensitized we are to fairness, law. It is like we are being shocked, electrically. Remember in the campaign, he was saying all 11 million would go. That was legitimately terrifying. Now it is just those who are in the country illegally and have a criminal record, have committed crimes. I presume that would be felonies. My honest question is why is this so horrible? If I was in Canada illegally dealing drugs and they deported me to America…I would get it. It would not strike me as a human rights violation.

Still, immigration is not my top issue - I don’t like it being front and center of everything. I am fine with deporting illegal immigrant criminals, but I hope the Trump administration can come up with something a little better than that in its first 100 days, like infrastructure and the Surpreme Court. Don’t wear out the welcome before you’ve hung a single drape. He should do bipartisan and partisan things at the same time, and not too many of them at the same time.

I wonder if he would have garnered more votes if he were more practical-minded like now.

Maybe we can at least stop the screeching about Hillary gaining more popular votes.

Who said she won the popular vote, I’m guessing she and the dems cheated a million votes.

I would really like to see some data on these two million or so criminals - sounds very inflated. I was thinking more like 100,000 or so. But what do I know ! Yes I know if they are iklegal they are ‘criminals’ but thse are the hard cases we’re talking here.

Maybe, because his plan is very similar to Obama’s immigration plan.
google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/obamas-deportation-policy-numbers/story%3Fid%3D41715661?client=ms-android-att-aio-us

:slight_smile: I resonate with a lot of what you say. He must address immigration first if he’s going to stick with the thrust of his campaign. For myself, the Supreme Court is key.

All this talk of imprisoning illegals in our system might make some interesting episodes for Locked Up Abroad.

I must admit I had no idea Obama’s administration was doing this. If it was in the news I must have been busy with other things. Was this big news during the Obama years? Do you know how Democrats felt about this?

I don’t recall Fox covering it, but other news outlet have been covering it. I know some people that call him “deporter-in-chief”. The democrats I know are ok with the deportations, if they are criminals.

So let me get this straight: the illegal immigrants who did not commit crimes are now characterized by Trump as “terrific people”? And even though he apparently cherishes them, a determination must be made as to whether or not to deport them? I think I got it. Well, this sounds quite logical to me, that is, if one does the Spock mind-meld to get inside Trump’s way of thinking.

I believe he said a ‘determination’ not necessarily to deport them. I agree with Trump, secure the border, deport illegal immigrants who are committing crime or at least enforce the law, as for the other illegal immigrants who are not committing any crimes, I would like to see a path for them to become citizens without being deported. I think Trump could quite possibly do that too, he certainly appears open to it.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.