President-elect Trump speaks to a divided country on 60 Minutes

The new President-Elect in his own words:

On abortion:

“If it ever were overturned, it would go back to the states… and they’ll perhaps have to go, they’ll have to go to another state.” “We’ll see what happens. It’s got a long way to go, just so you understand. That has a long, long way to go”.

On SSM:

“It’s done. It-- you have-- these cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They’ve been settled. And, I’m fine with that.”

On prosecuting Sec Clinton whom he continuously called crooked and his fans chanted lock her up:

“Well, I’ll tell you what I’m going to do, I’m going to think about it… I don’t want to hurt them. I don’t want to hurt them. They’re, they’re good people. I don’t want to hurt them. And I will give you a very, very good and definitive answer the next time we do 60 Minutes together.”

On the electoral college:

“I would rather see it where you went with simple votes. You know, you get 100 million votes and somebody else gets 90 million votes and you win.”

cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-donald-trump-family-melania-ivanka-lesley-stahl/

I saw the interview and it was interesting. He seemed very thoughtful.

I watched much of it before I switched to a Christmas movie. A part that I missed which did trouble me though is he is still publicly saying he knows more than the generals. That to me is no less disrespectful than pro athletes kneeling or protesters saying this is not their country.

Yes, that part on ISIS was one of the few bull**** moments in an otherwise very impressive (!) interview. One of the highlights: when he was asked about Trump supporters harrassing minorities, he said directly into the camera “Stop it”.

I agree that was a highlight. And hopefully his followers will heed to their leader’s commands.

Yes, this was a highlight. Another highlight was when he was pressed to assure people protesting that there was nothing to fear. Trump was very clear about this, that there is nothing to fear.

I think that he is under a lot of pressure to be a true statesman, and he is complying with this pressure. Rather than railroading people, I think he is going to sell his positions and proceed, it"s good policy and good business. We will find out if the man is capable of developing some compassion.

One brief point that impressed me was he is not going to take the full president’s salary. Yes of course we all know he makes more money. That in my opinion shows a bit of humbleness of him. Yes I know there are bigger issues like abortion and gay marriage, I just wanted to bring this up or give “my two cents.”

I agree except without seeing his taxes, I do assume he is quite wealthy like you said. He won’t miss $400,000 that’s for sure.

I didn’t vote for the man, but I am absolutely willing to take a “wait and see” approach.

This is certainly not the first time that “my candidate” lost the election – and this time I had no hope at all of McMullin winning. :rolleyes:

I really appreciate his toned-down approach now that he’s not trying to rally the troops to get votes. Praying and hoping… but still not willing to whitewash everything he says. :o

:thumbsup:

Ah. The Jerry Jones of the military.

:thumbsup:

I’m not surprised to see him switch gears now that he is not trying to drum up votes. He’s a pragmatist. He did what he needed to do to get votes. Now that it the election is done, he will do what he needs to do to assure people that he’s not a bull in a china shop. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well…if anyone has anything to fear I think it might be right wing conservatives who cheered him on with his pre- election rhetoric…now SSM appears to be a done deal…overturning abortion…you’ll just have to understand there is a long long way to go…on prosecuting HRC…looks like that might be put on the back burner…Obamacare…now instead of just getting rid of it entirely some of it isn’t so bad after all…so what else might he be “rethinking”…just these few issues drew praise from conservatives here on CAF for his strong stance…but hey…I voted for the guy also…if only mainly as a protest against Clinton and her pro abortion and SSM support…so maybe we’ve all been duped…time will tell.

He’s not even sworn in. There are protests outside his home and in major cities against him and no one from the democrat side is doing a darn thing to encourage unity. Have faith! You’ll be surprised how quickly things get done. The republicans are in control of all three branches now. Don’t let the disgusting media discourage you.

I’ll give him credit for being a great salesman. That hasn’t changed in the 30 some years I’ve followed him on the news.

And that’s the kindest thing I have to say about the interview.

For those expecting to see Trump triumphantly leading the nation towards the embrace of conservative, and especially socially-conservative principles, I expect that his presidency will be a big disappointment. It’s beyond my ken to understand who the real Donald Trump is, but my gut says that now that election is won, we can expect to see the disappearances of his extreme positions as well as many of the causes that conservative Christians hold near and dear. That doesn’t mean that SoCons don’t stand to gain — they do —but I would be surprised if the mechanism of that gain was directly through Trump.

We’ll see. He has to figure out what the president does first. Good thing we have a good man in the White House who is willing to put in some extra time to tutor him. Maybe he’ll figure it out before January? :confused:

Trump plans to spend more time with Obama learning the ropes: report

How snarky.

As someone who fervidly casted his vote less “for Clinton” and more “against Trump”, this interview was surprisingly thoughtful. I still think electing him was a giant mistake, but as an American I will root for him to truly be a leader of the People. It was reassuring to hear him reiterate his indifference for SSM, but I’m not sure he realizes it isn’t “him” that LGBT activists are worried about. I’m also not surprised that he’s essentially dropping that nonsense about incarcerating Clinton. I never bought that.

He needs to continue telling his supporters to knock off bad behavior. Though the other side is just as guilty. There needs to be a mutual understanding and respect: Trump supporters need to remember that most Americans chose Clinton. Clinton supporters need to remember that, despite that, Trump is our president-elect.

As for his salary, I think he should just designate his paychecks to charity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.