President-elect Trump tweets that the US "must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability"

President-elect Trump tweets that the US “must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability” cnbc.com/2016/12/22/trump-tweets-that-us-should-greatly-strengthen-and-expand-its-nuclear-capability.html

“The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes”

twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/811977223326625792

Expanding it would be pointless and a waste of money. We have enough warheads in enough places to act as a deterrent; more than that is just a liability.

What we ought to do is modernize the arsenal and their delivery and maintenance systems. Conditions at many ICBM silos are very poor.

Dear God, when I read the headline I was hoping he was talking about energy. I’m in favor of nuclear power.

Unfortunately he’s talking about killing large numbers of people in a very short amount of time. Not my cup of tea. The Church strongly and firmly condemns weapons of mass destruction.

2314 “Every act of war directed to the indiscriminate destruction of whole cities or vast areas with their inhabitants is a crime against God and man, which merits firm and unequivocal condemnation.”[109] A danger of modern warfare is that it provides the opportunity to those who possess modern scientific weapons especially atomic, biological, or chemical weapons - to commit such crimes.

Is this what we can expect in the future. No press conferences but we’ll learn what we need from tweets? :confused:

Not a fan of this.

One of the areas I really disagree with Mr. Trump is that of expanding the military. We can’t be the police of the world (morally or fiscally) and this is just an undue burden on our system.

Agree. :thumbsup: After killing the planet a couple times over what is the point? Bouncing dust.

However the hand wringers know MAD did work out quite well so far. But with O giving a path to Iran to get the bomb, Putin upgrading Russia’s arsenal, Norks developing a delivery system and who knows what China is doing, things will get to be more fun.

It’s a little hard to condemn other countries for trying to develop nuclear weapons if the USA is furthering production of of them.

You know the beautiful thing about the nukes is the fact they are city and country killers. They don’t just kill one measly soldier, they kill the whole society. And really in today’s postindustrial world it is a society that goes to war. An army couldn’t last three days without the logistic train going back to the farms and mines. So why can’t the farms and mines and everything in between be blown to smithereens. Why does the church favor only killing 18 year old kids?

Which may be why every country should have their own. Couldn’t you see Robert Mugabe or Assad with their very own nuclear arsenal.

Lord help us.

Don’t believe that he said he intends to us it. But peace through strength seems like a good idea to me.

We don’t have any idea what he intends because he refuses to have a press conference and only communicates through twitter.

If that’s strength then I’ll take weakness.

A picture is worth a thousand words; This used to be a human being, presumably about to climb a ladder. This isn’t what peace looks like.

Well considering my father didn’t get killed invading Japan, it looks peaceful enough.

Perhaps you prefer the Marines floating face down in the surf at Tarawa.

He says what he wants. I don’t take tweets seriously.

Ed

He didn’t say anything about using nuclear weapons. People read into his tweets whatever they want to.

From BBC News:

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38410027

Ed

Exactly.:thumbsup:

So he wants to prevent nuclear proliferation through nuclear proliferation. Makes as much sense as anything else he’s said. :shrug:

Is that what he tweeted?

Pro-life, my foot!

I did not trust he was less evil than Clinton, but he may well show himself worse.

Why increase our nuclear weapons if their is no implicit threat that they might be used?

I feel uncomfortable whenever the talk of nuclear weapons are even mentioned to be honest. It sucks that those things even exist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.