President Obama Gives Final Weekly Address: 'We Can't Take Our Democracy for Granted'

“We can’t take our democracy for granted,” Obama said in the video of the address that went live Saturday morning. “All of us, regardless of party, should throw ourselves into the work of citizenship. Not just when there’s an election, not just when our narrow interest is at stake, but over the full span of a lifetime.”

abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-obama-final-weekly-address-democracy-granted/story?id=44780352

I wish people would heed this, especially those in power. America no longer has a functioning Democracy. But each of us, in his own way, can be good citizens who love our country and want what’s best for everybody.

Civics used to be taught. It needs to be taught again.

Ed

I agree!

This has been an ongoing important issue for President Obama. He spoke of citizenship in his recent farewell address in Chicago too.

We have more of a democracy now than at any time in our history.

The Constitution, as it was adopted in 1788
US Senators were appointed by state legislatures until the 17th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (Direct Election of U.S. Senators) in 1913.
The first presidential primary election was held in 1901. A little more than 40 of the 50 states held primary elections by 2005, before that the candidates were chosen by party elites.

I second that !~

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.