President Trump calls out mainstream media for failing to cover the March for Life

lifesitenews.com/news/trump-plugs-march-for-life-to-liberal-reporter-youre-gonna-have-a-large-cro

*ABC’s David Muir asked Trump if he “could hear the voices from the women’s march here in Washington?”

“I couldn’t hear them, but the crowds were large,” Trump responded. “You’re gonna have a large crowd on Friday, too, which is mostly pro-life people. You’re gonna have a lot of people coming on Friday, and I will say this, and I didn’t realize this, but I was told, you will have a very large crowd of people. I don’t know – as large or larger – some people say it’s gonna be larger. Pro-life people. And they say the press doesn’t cover them.”

Muir quickly said he didn’t want to compare crowd sizes.

“What they do say is that the press doesn’t cover them,” said Trump. *

Here is the video clip youtu.be/XRnVdgmnBHA?t=28m27s

I didn’t watch it but I read the transcript online.

Good on him for calling the media out. But the rest of the interview was ridiculous.

I am glad to see this because there was always some doubt in my mind about Trump supporting Conservative views over his previously stated liberal views after he had been elected.

He’s looking like the real deal.

He missed it himself last year. All the other candidates had statements that day, his came a day or so late.

Does this mean he will no longer rave about the “wonderful work” Planned Parenthood does for women – “except for when it comes to abortion” – like he did non-stop during his campaign before he decided the give the “pro-life” card a whirl?

And if you take into account gay pro-life groups, and liberal pro-life groups like Feminists For Life, the media would likely be more inclined to cover the “March For Life” if the organizers didn’t exclude those groups from participating (as though the unborn babies even care who’s helping to saving them from bloodshed.) **There’s no diversity whatsoever in the “March For Life” – Trump knows this. **

I’ve read it too; what was ridiculous about it? :slight_smile:

Well, it’s true.

My wife works for a major media organization in DC and several of the reporters in previous years were often confused about why the Metro was so crowded. I’m not even being kidding or funny. Actual reporters working for an actual media company (that you have all heard of) saying, “What was with all the people and kids on the Metro today?”

Also hilarious (and wrong): all her coworkers automatically assume she is a pro-abortion liberal Democrat simply because she’s a young woman.

I laughed out loud when I read this, but it is not really funny; it’s very sad.

:banghead:

Planned Parenthood is being de-funded by Trump. As for the rest of your post, I don’t understand it at all. What do you mean?

Will defunding them lead to less abortions? I don’t see many conservatives asking themselves that. Personally I think it will be like kicking a hornets nest. It will mobilize their supporters and they will make up for the lost federal funding and more. The difference is the federal money doesn’t go towards abortions. When you donate you can specify what services you want the donation to cover. This will backfire.

I didn’t know that. That’s…actually really disheartening. Wasn’t surprised at all by the women’s march organizers excluding pro-life groups because the idea of a march for women is very vague and nebulous and frankly…women themselves don’t agree on what can be considered a human right. But a march for a very specific cause that people from all types of backgrounds can come together on? There is no good reason to exclude anyone who wants to make a public affirmation of support.

One of the most dedicated pro-life people I’ve ever met was a Wiccan. I remember her, over a decade ago, complaining that even though we were for the same cause, the pro-life movement can feel more like a conservative Christian Clubhouse than a movement to save the unborn.

I recommend following the various secular pro-life groups on facebook. These young women are a breath of fresh air. Off the top of my head there’s Secular Pro-Life, Pro-Life Humanists, and Equal Rights Institute (not sure if they are secular). If I remember correctly Equal Rights Institute somehow got to the front of one of the woman’s marches this weekend. They didn’t stay there long before they were surrounded by others shouting “my body, my choice”. It was humorous seeing the protest protest the protest.

You can specify anything you want…it makes no difference…ultimately, you are funding abortion. United Way works the same way…you can specify the charity that is to receive your donation, but ultimately they give a defined percentage of all donations to each participating charity, so you are supporting all of them. They lost significant support when pro-life groups withheld support because of their inclusion of Planned Parenthood in their charitable distributions.

I also didn’t know this. And yeah I have a non-religious friend who is prolife and she feels excluded, as well.

I can believe in the past that some of these groups were excluded, but I’m skeptical that’s as true today as it was. (I might be wrong, but I could have sworn I saw pictures of some of them from previous marches. They simply aren’t as big a number, for one thing.) As for myself, I’ve handed out materials from secular pro-life when I pray in front of PP.

The money Planed Parenthood receives is fungible. A former director of a Planned Parenthood in Texas, Abby Johnson, has said:

An abortion is expensive. Its cost includes pay for the doctor, supporting medical staff, their health benefits packages and malpractice insurance. As clinic director, I saw how money affiliate clinics receive from several sources is combined into one pot, not set aside for specific services.

thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/153699-exposing-the-planned-parenthood-business-model

How so?

Interesting to hear a professor try to explain the mental state of people attending the so-called Women’s March.

youtube.com/watch?v=wtyCeyUdtbo

Because the issue is usually framed around religion and most prominent life groups and organizations are centered around it as well and frequently use religious reasons for being pro life.

I guess imagine that 90% of anti gay marriage activists were Muslim and quoted from the Quran and said that the reason gay marriage is wrong is that is against Islam. You’d be happy that they’re fighting for the same thing you want, but it would be more difficult to really feel part of the movement.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.