Presidential Debate #2

Please use this thread to discuss the presidential debate on Tues 10/16

Live stream here

c-span.org/debates/

Romeny won

My predictions:

Obama will come out swinging. What we saw in his last debate won't be what we see now.

Some of the people who will ask Questions to Pres. Obama and Gov. Romney will be pre-selected in some way to help the Pres look more favorable. (Cynical, perhaps even conspiratorial, but politics is the dirtiest business there is).

My hope:

Romney can continue his upward swing and roll over Obama in the debate.

We shall see.

[quote="estesbob, post:2, topic:301985"]
Romeny won

[/quote]

Yo, Bob, what time zone are you in? :D

I agree. I believe Romney will be up for Obama’s aggressive stance, however, and he will call Obama out whenever he misrepresents Romney’s positions or his own record.

My hope: Romney repeats his success from debate #1. Obama needs to be humiliated so undecided voters can see how inept he truly is (particularly without the teleprompter).

[quote="Tampa_Dave, post:5, topic:301985"]
I agree. I believe Romney will be up for Obama's aggressive stance, however, and he will call Obama out whenever he misrepresents Romney's positions or his own record.

My hope: Romney repeats his success from debate #1. Obama needs to be humiliated so undecided voters can see how inept he truly is (particularly without the teleprompter).

[/quote]

Obama's problem is his record. You cant make a slik purse out of a sows ear no matter how hard you try.

Romney’s Advantage in the Second Debate

catholicvote.org/discuss/index.php?p=37532

I do not trust Candy Crowley or the questions that will be posed Tuesday night. The media is all out for Obama. We already know the media will spin an Obama victory if the debate is somewhat close.

The same Candy Crowley who called the Ryan pick a “ticket death wish”?

Do tell! :smiley:

Obama 2008 town hall debate

Health care

We’re going to work with your employer to lower the cost of your premiums by up to $2,500 a year. You can still have your choice of doctor, no mandate involved

According to IPD

Premiums for employer-provided family coverage rose $3,065 — 24% — from 2008 to 2012, the Kaiser survey found. Even if you start counting in 2009, premiums have climbed $2,370.

There is also an individual mandate

Obama on entitltements

Well, Tom, we’re going to have to take on entitlements and I think we’ve got to do it quickly. We’re going to have a lot of work to do, so I can’t guarantee that we’re going to do it in the next two years, but I’d like to do in the my first term as president

Medicaid recipients increased by 8 million; food stamps recipients increased by 50%; 5.4. million workers and dependents signed up for disability payments since Obama took office

Obama on debt

Well, I think it starts with Washington. We’ve got to show that we’ve got good habits, because if we’re running up trillion dollar debts that we’re passing on to the next generation, then a lot of people are going to think, ‘Well, you know what? There’s easy money out there

Obama has racked up almost twice the debt in his 1st term than George W Bush in 8 years

There are many more

[quote="_Abyssinia, post:7, topic:301985"]
Romney’s Advantage in the Second Debate

catholicvote.org/discuss/index.php?p=37532

[/quote]

Great article. I particularly liked the following:

What about the 47% issue? That one has more promise for Obama, since character matters in presidential elections, and a candidate who seems to be dismissive of about half of all Americans is one that a lot of people would not want to support. But raising this openly is dangerous for the president because it gives Romney a chance to explain and repudiate his earlier remarks, and to turn the issue around on Obama. If Obama brings up the 47%, why couldn’t Romney just say the following in response?

“I’m glad the president raised this, because I want to reassure everyone that I care about 100% of Americans and want to find a way for all of us to prosper. I misspoke in the video to which the president refers. I was trying to talk about two different things: that both of us will get a certain percentage of the vote, and that I fear there is a rising dependence on government in our country. But I certainly do not think and did not mean to say that 47% of American are dependent on government and unwilling to take responsibility for themselves. Candidates for public office do a lot of talking, and sometimes we make mistakes. President Obama has been known to misspeak himself. He once said that a lot of working class Americans ‘cling’ to ‘religion, guns, and antipathy for people not like them’ because they are ‘bitter’ about their lives. He once said a Cambridge, Massachusetts police officer ‘acted stupidly’ when he was trying to do his job in a difficult situation. Most recently, he said ‘if you have a business, you didn’t build that, somebody else made that happen.’ In each of these cases he he later explained that the words did not come out exactly as he intended. I accept his explanations, just as I think he should accept mine, and I think our country would be better served if we focused not on each other’s misstatements but on the serious problems our country is facing.”

I see Romney as much more prepared to give reasonable answers under fire.

[quote="scipio337, post:9, topic:301985"]
The same Candy Crowley who called the Ryan pick a "ticket death wish"?

Do tell! :D

[/quote]

The 80 or so undecided voters chosen for Tuesday's event must submit their questions in advance and moderator Candy Crowley of CNN will decide which people to call on. She can pose her own follow-up questions.

thepage.time.com/2012/10/14/moderator-role-under-scrutiny-before-the-debate

Any ideas for debate drinking games? How about drinking each time Obama says "folks"? I'm not familiar enough with Romney's verbal mannerisms to come up with an equivalent for him.

Of course I'm being facetious -- or am I?

“Let me be clear.”

[quote="tomarin, post:13, topic:301985"]
Any ideas for debate drinking games? How about drinking each time Obama says "folks"? I'm not familiar enough with Romney's verbal mannerisms to come up with an equivalent for him.

Of course I'm being facetious -- or am I?

[/quote]

Well, you could do a shot for every Obama ''uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

Of course, you'd be dead of alcohol poisoning after the introductory comments.

His signature phrase. If you drink to that, you will be wiped out 25 minutes in.

Here is just one of the many versions.

:rotfl: Ain’t that the truth

I understand that John Kerry is still Obama's debate coach. :eek:

[quote="Dawnia, post:18, topic:301985"]
:rotfl: Ain't that the truth

[/quote]

I almost feel bad for Obama. He knows when he's doing it now and the more he tries to stop doing it, the more he'll be doing it.

Wonder if they'll give him another word to use when he's stuck. What would be a good substitute? "hmmm..." :p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.