Presidential Election Poll 10-2-2012

Time for a new poll.

In the spirit of charity, all candidates from major parties have been included.
Lets make this poll even more different, and apply honesty and contemplation…

I invite everyone to vote their conscience.
Put aside the conditioning of the two party shell game. Be honest.

This is not the actual election. Please put some thought into this and vote for who matches your values the most.

Obligatory news articles:
Virgil Goode - Constitution Party
fairfaxnews.com/2012/09/virgil-goode-stays-on-presidential-ballot/

Gary Johnson - Libertarian Party
examiner.com/article/gary-johnson-will-participate-a-presidential-debate

Jill Stein - Green Party
sonomastatestar.com/news/jill-stein-also-in-the-running-for-president-1.2917078#.UGttkq4pk-0

As Catholics, we should limit the evil.

politicalresponsibility.com/votingstatement.htm

Peace,
Ed

I vote for none of the above. All are too pro-war for me, and a vote form them is tacit approval of their pro-war policies.

Virgil Goode, but I’ll have to write him in. Otherwise Gary Johnson.

I disagree.

constitutionparty.com/party_platform.php#Foreign%20Policy

The Constitution Party has consistently opposed American involvement in conflicts in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, Europe, and Central and South America. These United States has no interest in these areas which would justify the sacrifice of Americans on foreign battlefields - nor is our country properly cast as a merchant of death in international arms races.

We call upon the Congress to immediately terminate American military presence in all foreign countries where such U.S. presence constitutes an invitation for this nation to become involved in, or further participate in, foreign wars.

Virgil Goode voted for the Patriot Act and Iraq War. The latter especially isn’t a very pro-peace position. :slight_smile:

Fair points.
Touche’

I suppose he has a mixed record on liberty issues.

He did vote to limit expanding the military (while preserving veteran’s benefits)
Seemed to have second thoughts on the Patriot Act:
ontheissues.org/2012/Virgil_Goode_Homeland_Security.htm

Q: Does the Patriot Act harm civil liberties?

A: Yes for U.S. Citizens.

Also…

Goode adopted the Republican Liberty Caucus Position Statement:

As adopted by the General Membership of the Republican Liberty Caucus at its Biannual Meeting held December 8, 2000.
WHEREAS libertarian Republicans believe in limited government, individual freedom and personal responsibility;
WHEREAS we believe that government has no money nor power not derived from the consent of the people;
WHEREAS we believe that people have the right to keep the fruits of their labor; and
WHEREAS we believe in upholding the US Constitution as the supreme law of the land; 
BE IT RESOLVED that the Republican Liberty Caucus endorses the following [among its] principles:
US military should be deployed only where there is a clear threat to vital US interests and only with the consent of the US Congress.
No branch of the military should be put in harm’s way without a clear entrance and exit strategy and a goal, which when achieved, constitutes victory.
US military personnel should always be under US command.
US armed forces should be all-volunteer.
Military draft registration should be eliminated.

For those who think that they cannot vote for Obama and Ramney (and others) for being ‘to war like’, is there any war in the past 2000 years they would aprove of? :shrug::onpatrol::manvspc::knight1:

Any war that the US has been involved in? Only the Revolutionary War. I would say WWII but Roosevelt egged on the Japanese.

Not really.
Actively waging war just causes death. It’s evil.

I suppose there have been instances in the past 2000 years when people had no choice but to fight.
Like ancient resistance to invasions by hordes from Asia…
Or anti-communist uprisings…
Still, those instances were more cases of self defense than “waging war”.

ewtn.com/expert/answers/just_war_CCC.htm

However, “as long as the danger of war persists and there is no international authority with the necessary competence and power, governments cannot be denied the right of lawful self-defense, once all peace efforts have failed.”

My conscience is informed of what the issues are and of what Catholic Christians as well as other Christians and other people of faith believe and teach. If not for the fact either Barack Obama or Mitt Romney will be sworn into office for the next 4 yrs, my conscience might lead me to vote for someone like Jill Stein. But because of this truth, my conscience has led me to vote for Barack Obama.

my conscience is telling me to vote for Mitt Romney because i think he and Ryan have the best chance of getting our country moving forward again and because i think they have the best chance of defeating Barack Obama and Joe Biden who have really not shown any real leadership the past 4 years as far as creaing jobs and making a stronger economy.

The war on the unborn is the worst of all - we have a chance to oppose the war by voting effectively against Obama - i.e. voting for Romney.

A vote for Gary Johnson is a wasted vote - unless you’re very passionate about smoking dope legally. Virgil Goode? I have no idea who he is. The election is between Obama the abortion supporter and Romney - the businessman who wants Roe V Wade overturned. This is a no-brainer for Catholics interested in the sanctity of life. The election is too serious, too much at stake to waste one’s vote on a silly 3rd party candidate. Obama and his anti-Catholic policies need to be defeated. Voting for Virgil Goode, Gary Johnson, or not at all, won’t defeat Obama.

Ishii

The western countries did kind of box Japan into a corner in the 20’s and 30’s and FDR did indeed egg on the Japanese. In the end, they did choose to attack Pearl Harbor. As Yamamoto said, they awakened a sleeping giant. Hopefully the next president will have a foreign policy that neither boxes nations into corners, but also doesn’t encourage our enemies to attack us by letting our defenses become weak and going around the world apologizing for America - like Obama has.

Ishii

NBC Poll: Race tied in Florida and Virginia

Rasmussen has Ohio much closer than the NBC poll

Republicans dominate early voting in Ohio

You forgot Pat Paulsen.

I’m originally from The Great State of Ohio. Other than your major population centers, I expect strong turnout for Romney in the suburbs and the farmlands. Franklin, Cuyahoga and Hamilton Counties are particularly strong Democratic areas. C’mon Buckeyes - do the right thing and vote Romney!

I played hockey with Pat Paulsen’s nephew Doug. Crazy family!

Excellent! Thanks :thumbsup:

Has been an overwhelming loss of registered voters in Cuyahoga

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.