Presidential Proclamation--Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month

Click Here: Presidential Proclamation–Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month
The White House

Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release May 28, 2010

Presidential Proclamation–Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month
As Americans, it is our birthright that all people are created equal and deserve the same rights, privileges, and opportunities. Since our earliest days of independence, our Nation has striven to fulfill that promise. An important chapter in our great, unfinished story is the movement for fairness and equality on behalf of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. This month, as we recognize the immeasurable contributions of LGBT Americans, we renew our commitment to the struggle for equal rights for LGBT Americans and to ending prejudice and injustice wherever it exists.

LGBT Americans have enriched and strengthened the fabric of our national life. From business leaders and professors to athletes and first responders, LGBT individuals have achieved success and prominence in every discipline. They are our mothers and fathers, our sons and daughters, and our friends and neighbors. Across my Administration, openly LGBT employees are serving at every level. Thanks to those who came before us the brave men and women who marched, stood up to injustice, and brought change through acts of compassion or defiance we have made enormous progress and continue to strive for a more perfect union.

My Administration has advanced our journey by signing into law the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act, which strengthens Federal protections against crimes based on gender identity or sexual orientation. We renewed the Ryan White CARE Act, which provides life saving medical services and support to Americans living with HIV/AIDS, and finally eliminated the HIV entry ban. I also signed a Presidential Memorandum directing hospitals receiving Medicare and Medicaid funds to give LGBT patients the compassion and security they deserve in their time of need, including the ability to choose someone other than an immediate family member to visit them and make medical decisions.

In other areas, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced a series of proposals to ensure core housing programs are open to everyone, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. HUD also announced the first ever national study of discrimination against members of the LGBT community in the rental and sale of housing. Additionally, the Department of Health and Human Services has created a National Resource Center for LGBT Elders.

Much work remains to fulfill our Nation’s promise of equal justice under law for LGBT Americans. That is why we must give committed gay couples the same rights and responsibilities afforded to any married couple, and repeal the Defense of Marriage Act. We must protect the rights of LGBT families by securing their adoption rights, ending employment discrimination against LGBT Americans, and ensuring Federal employees receive equal benefits. We must create safer schools so all our children may learn in a supportive environment. I am also committed to ending “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” so patriotic LGBT Americans can serve openly in our military, and I am working with the Congress and our military leadership to accomplish that goal.

As we honor the LGBT Americans who have given so much to our Nation, let us remember that if one of us is unable to realize full equality, we all fall short of our founding principles. Our Nation draws its strength from our diversity, with each of us contributing to the greater whole. By affirming these rights and values, each American benefits from the further advancement of liberty and justice for all.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2010 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon all Americans to observe this month by fighting prejudice and discrimination in their own lives and everywhere it exists.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand ten, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fourth.

BARACK OBAMA

The Democrat party is no longer the Democrat party of FDR, Truman, and JFK. Its been the party of abortion, death, gays, taxes, and foreign policy weakness for many years now. That explains the flight of more conservative voters away from the Democrat party over the past few decades more than any "southern strategy". Their journey to the dark side has been complete for a while.

Ishii

We’ve discussed this in the Secular News forum, with 23 comments at this point.
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=462430

I’m posting the link to that thread, just for completeness.

[quote="ishii, post:2, topic:200314"]
The Democrat party is no longer the Democrat party of FDR, Truman, and JFK. Its been the party of abortion, death, gays, taxes, and foreign policy weakness for many years now. That explains the flight of more conservative voters away from the Democrat party over the past few decades more than any "southern strategy". Their journey to the dark side has been complete for a while.

Ishii

[/quote]

Not to quibble with you overmuch, but I think "Party of Death" covers it all, when you think about it.

What about the Undocumented Immigrants Pride month; UIP? Can’t leave out our Illegal Alien brothers and sisters. :rolleyes:

Is July taken?

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

[quote="stanmaxkolbe, post:5, topic:200314"]
What about the Undocumented Immigrants Pride month; UIP? Can’t leave out our Illegal Alien brothers and sisters. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Didn't they have Cinco de Mayo for their celebration?

No that only includes Mexican heritage. We can’t leave out the others.

This article makes me sad. I am so tired of the attitude that it's all about "being who you are" and that it's the rest of society who has the problem for not liking it. When a person struggling with substance addiction falls down and succumbs, we often "refuse to enable them" or want them to seek help. So, if you are struggling with homosexuality, why isn't it ok to want to help someone instead of enabling them? Because then you are a close minded bigot, at least according to BHO and the liberal government. I often fight despair thinking that this society is going you know where in a hand basket. I do not deny that I have done my fair share of lousy or immoral things to contribute, but that was before the scales fell off my eyes and I see clearly now those behaviors are wrong. If someone had been able to explain this to me sooner, I could have saved myself a lot of heartache and temporal damages. But, you are silenced by statements like this that back up this opinion that we are a bunch of right-wing extremist, racist, small-minded radicals who are to be ignored. Ugh.

[quote="nurselisa99, post:9, topic:200314"]
This article makes me sad. I am so tired of the attitude that it's all about "being who you are" and that it's the rest of society who has the problem for not liking it. When a person struggling with substance addiction falls down and succumbs, we often "refuse to enable them" or want them to seek help. So, if you are struggling with homosexuality, why isn't it ok to want to help someone instead of enabling them? Because then you are a close minded bigot, at least according to BHO and the liberal government. I often fight despair thinking that this society is going you know where in a hand basket. I do not deny that I have done my fair share of lousy or immoral things to contribute, but that was before the scales fell off my eyes and I see clearly now those behaviors are wrong. If someone had been able to explain this to me sooner, I could have saved myself a lot of heartache and temporal damages. But, you are silenced by statements like this that back up this opinion that we are a bunch of right-wing extremist, racist, small-minded radicals who are to be ignored. Ugh.

[/quote]

I think we reached the point where Christian healthcare professionals risk serious repercussions if they speak their mind. Social workers and psychologists already got fired for simply denying to counsel a gay or lesbian person in a way that affirms the LGBT lifestyle. When such a professional tried to make arrangements at her workplace so that she would not counsel a lesbian patient, well before the actual appointment date, she was fired. Later on the employer, a university hospital, was forced to go back on the decision to fire her, because she didn't commit anything unprofessional, she simply refused to take on a patient whom she never counseled before. But can you imagine the firestorm that would have ensued if she actually met this lesbian patient and offered to help her get out of the lesbian way of life?

There's just one category of people that gays hate even more than they hate Christians: the ex-gays and ex-lesbians who successfully got out of the LGBT lifestyle, conquering the virtue of chastity (either in the form of abstinence, or heterosexual marriage and faithfulness to one's spouse).

Maybe Obama should proclaim July as the Ex-LGBT Pride Month! :D ;)

This is exactly the sort of reason that Obama won the presidential election.

Glad to hear about this.

:thumbsup:

[quote="jjdrury81, post:11, topic:200314"]
This is exactly the sort of reason that Obama won the presidential election.

Glad to hear about this.

:thumbsup:

[/quote]

He won the election because he promised to make a presidential proclamation for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month? :confused:

[quote="rlg94086, post:12, topic:200314"]
He won the election because he promised to make a presidential proclamation for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month? :confused:

[/quote]

He won the election because the American people wanted a change in direction in many things. This being one of them. You would have never seen Bush or McCain doing something like this. And that is why the GOP lost.

[quote="jjdrury81, post:13, topic:200314"]
He won the election because the American people wanted a change in direction in many things. This being one of them. You would have never seen Bush or McCain doing something like this. And that is why the GOP lost.

[/quote]

I think that's an assertion that could use some sourcing. :rolleyes:

Regardless, though, of whether it "made the difference" in the election, it truly is disheartening to see the president of the United States dedicate a month to celebrate sexual perversion. He sure didn't have to do that, so one can only conclude that he did it because he wanted to do it.

You should also never see true Catholics support this kind of thing.

OK, cool. Now, will he proclaim July as the Ex-LGBT Pride Month? :wink:

Or, are the ex-gays and ex-lesbians any less worthy of celebration than the gays and lesbians, in this president’s opinion? :eek:

[quote="jjdrury81, post:13, topic:200314"]

[/quote]

Really? So, do you have some data that shows that the majority of Americans support Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender month?

As a ‘true Catholic’, I could not disagree more.

So, as a ‘true Catholic,’ what is your stance regarding lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender relationships, gay marriage, et al. How do they square with Church teaching?

They are all perfectly acceptable in the social and civic realm and should be treated as such.

They are not acceptable in the Church and should be treated as such.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.