Pressure group urges Theresa May to let UK nationals remain EU citizens after Brexit

independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-theresa-may-european-movement-uk-nationals-retain-eu-citizenship-a7418211.html

**Pressure group urges Theresa May to let UK nationals remain EU citizens after Brexit

A new campaign is urging Theresa May to allow British nationals to retain their European Union citizenship if they wish to do so after Brexit.

The European Movement UK argues it would be unprecedented for Britons to be stripped of their EU citizenship against their will.

It plans to deliver a petition to the Prime Minister asking her to make optional retention of citizenship a priority in withdrawal negotiations under Article 50 of the EU Treaties.

The move comes after Luxembourg MEP Charles Goerens tabled plans for European associate citizenship for “those who feel and wish to be part of the European project but are nationals of a former member state”.**

Unless a plan of this kind is taken up, Brexit risks being the first time when a whole population of a modern state loses its citizenship without that nation being involved in armed conflict or ceasing to exist, said the European Movement.

The group’s chief executive Matthew Fulton said: “Sixteen million people voted to remain citizens of the EU, and as such we’re asking that this Government accepts it has a mandate to represent the wishes of those who want to remain in Europe by letting them keep their EU citizenship as a key request in the Brexit negotiations.”

And the European Movement UK’s chairman, Labour MEP Richard Corbett, added: “Stripping citizenship from millions of residents against their will is unprecedented in a modern democracy.

it’s not that odd. At one time in the U.S. you had to renounce all other citizenship to be a U.S. citizen.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37987830

Brexit: Could UK get ‘associate EU citizenship’?

There are many in the US who have dual citizenship; it could work for UK, I guess, and keep everyone happy?

You still have to in many nations. When my friend’s wife married him she had to renounce her Chinese citizenship eventually when she gained British citizenship. She was not overly upset about the whole matter as her family had suffered under Mao and co. I hold citizenship in three countries and am entitled to hold it in a fourth (Spain) but have not bothered. Many people in the UK hold dual Irish and British nationality, that is very common indeed. in fact since Brexit the Irish embassy has been swamped by people applying for passports and is overwhelmed at this point and virtually in meltdown. The bizarre spectacle of Ian Paisley jr. advising the people of Ulster to apply for irish passports occurred. I cannot easily explain how odd that was but Vouthon will have seen that and know how weird that was.

Interesting how dual citizenship works for Americans. Most European Americans could not qualify for it anywhere because our European ancestry is now too distant. Among European countries, though, I found that for me, France would be the easiest, but not because some of my ancestors were from Alsace, which some were. It’s because I was born in the former Louisiana Territory. That struck me as a particularly odd preference. But I would have to own a residence in France, refresh my French tolerably enough to stumble through a conversation, and appreciate French culture. (Don’t know how they decide that last one).

But I don’t think most Americans think about such things a whole lot unless having European citizenship would entitle them to do business in the EU. I think some seek it for that reason.

They may decided how much you appreciate French culture by making you sit an exam. Applicants for British citizenship must sit an exam quizzing them about British history and pass a test showing they are proficient in English. My wife had to do to both and some of the questions are rather bizarre and obscure and most British people do not know the answers to the questions, which makes the process rather amusing. A sample of the questions are:-

theuktest.com/life-in-the-uk-test/1

Some of themT are obvious and the answer is fairly self evident but some are not.

The first question below made me laugh in fact. I know the answer but if I wandered around the streets of London asking it to many people born in the UK they could not answer it I assure you.

Which of these forts were part of Hadrian’s Wall?
(Choose any 2 answers) Housesteads
Skara Brae
Sutton Hoo
Vindolanda

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.