Pressure on police over protest

Police are coming under political pressure to explain why no arrests were made during demonstrations in which protesters chanted threatening slogans.

The protests on Friday in London over cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad saw slogans and placards glorifying the 7 July London bombings. Shadow Attorney General Dominic Grieve questioned why no-one was arrested.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4683002.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41295000/jpg/_41295948_protest203x152.jpg Some of the protesters glorified Bin Laden and terrorist atrocities

[quote=gilliam]Police are coming under political pressure to explain why no arrests were made during demonstrations in which protesters chanted threatening slogans.

[/quote]

Let me know if you are able to view this, it’s reasons given for the softly softly approach.

[Video](http://www.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-police_050206,00.html)

Source

The Labour MP Shahid Malik, who is on the Home Affairs Select Committee, wrote a letter to Sir Ian Blair, head of the Met Police, on Friday calling for prosecutions. He said he had every confidence suitable action would be taken.

“Had they intervened on Friday when I witnessed some of the scenes from the obscene placards and the obscene chants, I think the situation could have got much worse,” he said. "Police are professionals at dealing with crowd and disorder matters and I think they’re best placed to make those kinds of judgements.

“I believe that prosecutions should follow. No matter how much offence cartoons may or may not cause, it can never justify violence.”

I suppose its necessary to point out that Shahid Malik is a Muslim. Also see observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,1702682,00.html

Britain’s leading Muslim body called for the protesters to be prosecuted. Inayat Bunglawala, spokeswoman for the Muslim Council of Britain, said: ‘The Metropolitan police should now consider all the evidence they have gathered from the protests to see if they can prosecute the extremists. It is time the police acted, but in a way so as not to make them martyrs of the prophet’s cause, which is what they want, but as criminals. Ordinary Muslims are fed up with them.’

Kurshid Ahmed, chairman of the British Muslim Forum, which represents more than 600 British mosques, said: ‘The reaction and demonstration by some elements within our community are not reflective of who we are.’

Azhar Ali, of Labour’s National Policy Forum, said: ‘My fear is some militant organisations will use this incident to propagate hate and this serves to act as a recruiting sergeant for their causes.’

[quote=Eireann]Let me know if you are able to view this, it’s reasons given for the softly softly approach.

Video

Source
[/quote]

Yes, I was able to view the video.

The worst time to arrest people is during a demonstation.

Arresting people during this demonstation would have been a big mistake. It would have been a public relations disaster, with international consequences.

If arrests need to be made, it is best if the police choose the time and place.

[quote=Chris Jacobsen]Yes, I was able to view the video.

The worst time to arrest people is during a demonstation.

Arresting people during this demonstation would have been a big mistake. It would have been a public relations disaster, with international consequences.

If arrests need to be made, it is best if the police choose the time and place.
[/quote]

I agree, conditionally and cautiously. The police had better pick up the suspects or there will be a worse backlash in Britain. I think the ordinary folks in Britain have seen the light and had better not be pushed any further.

I thought the video made some sense as well. However, I think Ani has a great point about the non-Islamic people of Britain. I can’t imagine being a Briton and having ancestors going back thousands of years on that island and being dictated to by an Islamic mob.

[quote=Chris Jacobsen]Yes, I was able to view the video.

[/quote]

Thanks for letting me know. :thumbsup:

[quote=gilliam]Police are coming under political pressure to explain why no arrests were made during demonstrations in which protesters chanted threatening slogans.

The protests on Friday in London over cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad saw slogans and placards glorifying the 7 July London bombings. Shadow Attorney General Dominic Grieve questioned why no-one was arrested.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41295000/jpg/_41295948_protest203x152.jpg Some of the protesters glorified Bin Laden and terrorist atrocities
[/quote]

There are more photos here:

michellemalkin.com/archives/2006_02.htm

Search with the phrase “In Their Own Words”. ##

[quote=brotherhrolf]I thought the video made some sense as well. However, I think Ani has a great point about the non-Islamic people of Britain. I can’t imagine being a Briton and having ancestors going back thousands of years on that island and being dictated to by an Islamic mob.
[/quote]

Are we being dictated to by an Islamic mob? I can’t say I noticed. I’ve been busy with friends all weekend, and I didn’t notice this issue affect me whatsoever.

Mike

[quote=MikeWM]Are we being dictated to by an Islamic mob? I can’t say I noticed. I’ve been busy with friends all weekend, and I didn’t notice this issue affect me whatsoever.

Mike
[/quote]

Amazing—I had the exact same reaction to the Superbowl. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.