Presumption question

If one is committing a sin, and while in the process of that sin, in the back of his/her mind, that person thinks and knows that they will be going to confession about it, is he/she guilty of presumption? Even though it started out of temptation and not the mindset of “I can do it anyway because I’m going to confession”?

Id like to know the answer to this as well. in order to make a true confession you need to be truly sorry from the bottom of your heart, otherwise it is invalid.

I often do things that i know to be sinful, that i dont actually want to do, i know its not going to make me closer to God, and i know i wont feel good about it afterwards, but i do it anyway. Afterwards im truly sorry, but i find myself repeatedly doing those things again and again, even after resolving to never do them again. So then i think that there must be some part of me that wants to do it - otherwise why would i do it? But i feel sick and sorry about it afterwards so that must mean im sorry right?

Its confusing. I actually think this is something that should be discussed in the confessional, then the priest can tell you whether or not you can be absolved of your sins. No fear!

…and you are presuming you will live long enough to get to confession. That is one heck of a chance you are taking. Lord have mercy.

:popcorn:

Depends what you mean, “truly sorry from the bottom of your heart”.

Imperfect contrition is enough (though of course, one should strive for perfect) to be forgiven in the sacrament of Penance. The Catechism says:

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.
1453 The contrition called “imperfect” (or “attrition”) is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin’s ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.

Given the way you’ve framed it up, I would say that the answer is ‘no’ – this is not presumption. Rather, it’s the beginnings of contrition. That is, even while in the commission of a sin, one thinks to himself, “this is wrong; I shouldn’t be doing this; I’m going to need to go to confession about this,” then that is the beginning of that person listening to his conscience and being sorry for his sin. (At the moment, not sorry enough to stop sinning; but nevertheless, beginning to recognize his own sinfulness. It would be good to be able to stop sinning at that moment, but our forgiveness doesn’t depend on our ability to stop a sin in its tracks – rather, it depends on our ability to come to God with contrition and a firm resolve to avoid sin in the future.)

Of course, if the thought isn’t “this is wrong” but rather “meh, who cares… I’m going to go to confession anyway!”… then that would seem to be presumption! :wink:

Depends.
It appears that you are saying that they did not recognize the act as sinful when they started…

Does one immediately stop the sin once they realize the sinful nature of the act - or do they continue?

Peace
James

I think this would depend on how much control you have over the sin. If it is an addiction, you may not be in control at times. Your body may be doing one thing while your mind is pleading with it to do something else. Addiction is the only time I could see this happening. I mean assuming you are not possessed, you are in control of your actions. If your conscience tells you something is wrong, you just stop it right then. With an addiction, your willpower is not enough to overcome the temptation. People with addiction must pray, go to confession, and get support from others who have had the same problem. They need God and people around them to break the cycle.

You are asking if the thought (one cannot naturally know the future) that you will be confessing the sin is a sin. No. Sin done because of the idea that you are saved no matter what or saved without needing future contrition is sinful.

CCC 2092 There are two kinds of presumption. Either man presumes upon his own capacities, (hoping to be able to save himself without help from on high), or he presumes upon God’s almighty power or his mercy (hoping to obtain his forgiveness without conversion and glory without merit).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.