Prettiest singing voices

Who do you think has the prettiest voices in music, past or present.
Here's my nominations for past and present:
Female:
Enya
Loreena McKennitt
Tori Amos
Pat Benatar
Paula Cole
Bette Midler
Celine Dion
Janis Joplin (yes, she was raspy, but there was a lot of passion in there too)
Annie Lennox
Amy Lee from Evanesence
Dawn Michelle from Fireflight
Lacey Sturm from Flyleaf
Male:
Meatloaf
Paul Simon
John Lennon
Bono from U2

Beyonce
Neko Case
Maria Callas
Aretha Franklin
Selena Gomez
Exene Cervenka (from X)

I would say:

Female- Allison Krauss
Male- Vince Gill

Female:
Charlotte Church (when she was younger)
Tarja Turunen (Former singer of a Finnish metal band called Nightwish; when she does opera-like stuff, she's really good, I think)

Male:
Andrea Bocelli (Have you heard him singing Adeste Fideles?)
the Miles Christi order's Schola (listen to them once, you'll love them)

Those are my votes. I generally only like female voices solo, but I like male voices more in chorus.

Limiting my answer to popular music and to female voices that are actually PRETTY, I would say the three J's: Julie Andrews, Joan Baez, and Judy Collins.

Shania Twain (singing "Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain")
Jim Reeves (" I'll Fly Away").
Patsy Cline, anything!

:)

Female:

Sarah Brightman
Linda Eder

And seriously, in terms a of range, purity, power, and ability no one else really even comes close.

Male:
Anthony Warlow - listen to the brilliance of his voice singing "This is the Moment", an absolutely incredible talent.

[quote="meltzerboy, post:5, topic:246452"]
Limiting my answer to popular music and to female voices that are actually PRETTY, I would say the three J's: Julie Andrews, Joan Baez, and Judy Collins.

[/quote]

To your three J's I answer with three Y's: YES! YES! YES!

Okay... some men can sing. SOME.

Dean Martin and Tennessee Ernie Ford. They don't make 'em like that any more.

Sixteen tons? If all you ever sang in your life was that, you could be proud.

Eva Cassidy. She died any years ago of cancer and was well known in the Washington D.C. area.

Mama Cass.

Female: K.D. Lang

Male: Roy Orbison

Both have very pure voices, without a lot of layering. Beautiful.

I agree also that Cass Elliot (Mama Cass) had a great voice--again, very pure and straight-forward. She was more of an alto, while K.D. Lang is more soprano. Too bad the two didn't live in the same time period--it would have been amazing to pair them up in a duet.

Are we just talking about popular (pop) music in this thread? I personally think that the prettiest voices are to be found in the opera world. I love listening to Renee Fleming!

Female:
Regina Spektor
youtube.com/watch?v=DJw19KKjOEM
Ann Wilson (Heart)

Male:
Freddy Mercury
George Harrison
Paul Simon

Female: Sade

Male: Jeff Buckley

[quote="ZDHayden, post:4, topic:246452"]
Tarja Turunen (Former singer of a Finnish metal band called Nightwish; when she does opera-like stuff, she's really good, I think)

[/quote]

You're my hero. :D I was going to say the same thing. :)

I agree with you on Tarja Turunen. I'd add Simone Simon to the list. She's such a hottie :)

[quote="ZDHayden, post:4, topic:246452"]
Female:
Charlotte Church (when she was younger)

Male:
Andrea Bocelli (Have you heard him singing Adeste Fideles?)
the Miles Christi order's Schola (listen to them once, you'll love them)

Those are my votes. I generally only like female voices solo, but I like male voices more in chorus.

[/quote]

Major facepalm moment. I totally forgot David Bowie. That guy has amazing talent. What I like best about him is that he's in a class by himself. You can't really find a typical song by him because he has none.

D'oh--! I forgot to mention... Karen Carpenter! :thumbsup:

[quote="havana1, post:2, topic:246452"]
Beyonce
Neko Case
Maria Callas
Aretha Franklin
Selena Gomez
Exene Cervenka (from X)

[/quote]

Maria Callas is probably my favorite female singer. Then there's Angela Gheorgiu.

I also like Roberta Flack, especially "Killing me Softly with his Song."

Hayley Westenra is hard to be on the female side. For males, I'd have to say John Denver had a very nice soothing voice, though it would depend on the song some, he was very versatile.

Zooey Deschanel
Garrett Hedlund

:):D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.