Pride in the workplace and how to combat it

So I have this issue with pride. I currently work at a store and am trying to get a promotion; this promotion will give me “manager powers”, and I have this weird sense of pride coming from that as me being “cool” or what have you (I’m still in high school so its not a serious job). Advice on combateing this pride? How do I forget myself everysingle time I have prideful feelings?

Managers do not produce anything. The people you manage do. Your job is to lead them and encourage them to be better workers. You can do this only by empathising with them. You can do that only by respecting them and their work. Their work is of greater importance than yours because they are actually doing things. One of the Church’s greatest insights is that all work, and all workers deserve respect. By celebrating the good work your future staff do, you will diminish any sense of pride in your own ‘power’. Always smile when possible; always listen; always offer to help. Any show that no part of anyone’s job is not one you would refuse to do yourself. Keep staff facilities clean and neat. And realise that your staff live in families. Their families also deserve your support.

Its a big blessing, even to know and acknowledge that you have pride and also the good desire to overcome it .itself is good sign an a act of humility,you have already won half the battle.

Isaiah 66: 2 All these things my hand has made,and so all these things are mine,says the Lord.But this is the one to whom I will look to the humble and contrite in spirit,who trembles at my word.

Isaiah 57:15 For thus says the high and lofty one who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with those who are contrite and humble in spirit,to revive the spirit of the humble,and to revive the heart of the contrite.

1 Peter 5:3- Do not lord it over those in your charge, but be examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief shepherd appears, you will win the crown of glory that never fades away. 5 In the same way, you who are younger must accept the authority of the elders. And all of you must clothe yourselves with humility in your dealings with one another, for“God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. 8 Discipline yourselves, keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in your faith, for you know that your brothers and sisters in all the world are undergoing the same kinds of suffering.

Titus 3:1-2 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, 2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show every courtesy to everyone.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.