Priest and Altar Servers Holding Hands during Our Father?

So, at one of the Parishes that I attend on occasion, the Priest actually has his altar servers come forward to stand next to him and hold hands during the Our Father. Is he supposed to be doing this?

I usually don’t question priests, but this particular one seems to do his own thing as he deems fit.

Probably not, but this has been hashed out over and over, so:

:popcorn:

Saints preserve us, I thought this one was finally over and done with. The clerical hand holding, not the Our Father.

I know its more debatable what laity are supposed to be doing, but I thought the Priest has specific instructions?

So, at one of the Parishes that I attend on occasion, the Priest actually has his altar servers come forward to stand next to him and hold hands during the Our Father. Is he supposed to be doing this?

**This is not the posture talked about in the General Instruction to the Roman Missal.
The GIRM states:

adoremus.org/1103OransPosture.html**

The Priest at this part of the Mass is offering ALL of the prayers of the faithful to heaven and the holding of hands on the Altar is not encouraged…let alone the holding of hands of the faithful**[/FONT]

This happens at my Parish all the time. We all hold hands, including the Priest and altar servers, and pray the Our Father.

Not supposed to happen.

No, never, under any circumstances should anyone hold hands during the Our Father. It’s not a sentimental moment, it’s when we offer ourselves up to Our Lord as we prepare to receive him fully and wholly, and we affirm our faith and glorify God the Father. It’s an earth-shattering moment, not a hold-hands-around the campfire one.

It’s not part of the rubrics, so, no, he’s not really supposed to be doing that. If that’s the worst thing the priest does, though, I don’t know that I’d go to the mat over it. If you’d like, you could certainly follow the chain of command in reporting it. I don’t know how quickly I’d expect any movement on it, though.

Those who are doing so aren’t reading these threads. At my church I doubt the grown men who assist would do it. I know the younger man who assists wouldn’t.

I think I’ll join you JG :popcorn:

My step-mother was upset when I wouldn’t hold her hand during mass. Had to explain to her afterward that it’s an abuse, and we shouldn’t be doing it. “But the priest was doing it!”:shrug:

This is probably the most blatant thing he’s done, but he skirts the edge on several issues. For example, our Bishop had stated that the Priests should be having their parishes chant the new translation of the Mass. This Priest is using the new translation, but with no chant.

I have never in my life seen anybody hold hands with anyone else during the Our Father.

I have seen people from the Phillipines hold their hands up during the Our Father.

[quote="Nelka, post:13, topic:296105"]
I have never in my life seen anybody hold hands with anyone else during the Our Father.

I have seen people from the Phillipines hold their hands up during the Our Father.

[/quote]

You see it very often in the United States, but this is the first I've seen a Priest do it.

Sometimes bishops encourage. Sometimes they encourage strongly. Sometimes they mandate. :slight_smile: I personally think that priests are better off deferring to the manifest will of their bishop, but barring a mandate, not following the bishop’s every suggestion is not technically disobedience. As such, there’s not really much you can do.

You could befriend the priest, get to know him, and then bring up these issues in friendship. Just going up to him after Mass and saying ,“You’re not supposed to do that,” probably wouldn’t have the desired effect.

All that said, our priests aren’t perfect. I’d take a priest who holds hands during the Our Father and doesn’t chant over one that preaches in favor of women’s ordination.

It happens at a Parish that I attend quite often. It bothers me enough to strongly consider going somewhere else, but does it invalidate the Mass?

Not even close. Every sacrament needs valid matter and form to be valid. Unless the priest is using something other than bread and wine (the valid matter) or is significantly altering the words of consecration (the proper form), the Mass is valid. It might contain many illicit elements, but it would not be invalid.

Don’t forget, without our priests, we would not be able to partake in the Holy Eucharist. :slight_smile:

I definitely agree that it could be worse (preaching about female priests would certainly be more out of line with the Church). I’m in a situation where my job causes me to worship at two different parishes, depending on the weekend. It is difficult to get used to this Priest because he is much more laid-back compared to the 3-4 priests rotating at the other Parish I attend.

I’d definitely never go up to him and verbally attack him for not doing these things. I’m young and female, so befriending him enough to ask isn’t exactly an easy task. I could probably ask his reasons for not chanting citing confusion because the other Parish does, but I do realize it’s a recommendation, not a requirement. He often does the non-recommended option whenever there is an option. It makes me wonder if he does it on purpose to make people realize certain things aren’t requirements.

Oh really?
Well I suppose next Sunday I will just let my toddler and preschooler run wild during the Our Father, and ignore my 7yo daughter who wants to hold hands during much of the mass. :wink:
Just kidding around. The severity of your first sentence just really made me laugh because obviously there are circumstances where hand-holding is actually necessary.
:smiley:

For the Our Father holding hands in a nice arc in the Sanctuary at every Mass at my parish (and all its neighbor parishes as well), we have the full line-up; Priest, servers, readers, emhc, and special guests.

Thanksgiving day Mass and the occasional ‘special’ Mass EVERYONE is up there.

I have given up :crying:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.