Priest and nun ice cream temptation ad banned

CathNews:

Priest and nun ice cream temptation ad banned

UK’s advertising watchdog banned an ice cream advertisement featuring a young nun and priest about to share a kiss, deeming it offensive and demeaning to those following a religious vocation.

The print advertising campaign with the strapline “Kiss temptation”, was run by ice cream brand Antonio Federici Gelato Italiano, The Guardian reported. The ad, which ran in Delicious and Sainsbury’s magazines, featured a nun in full habit and a priest wearing rosary beads while holding a pot of ice cream.

The Advertising Standards Authority said in its ruling that “the portrayal of the priest and nun in a sexualised manner and the implication that they were considering whether or not to give in to temptation, was likely to cause serious offence to some readers,” The Times reported.

I’ve read complaints on UK Catholic blogs that the “demeaning to religion” laws are not enforced to protect Christians so I guess this is good to see.

Oh yeah, I saw that. It’s funny that they think a priest’s wardrobe includes a rosary around the neck. :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.