Priest and scientist?

So is it possible to be a priest and a scientist these days? I am in college discerning a religious vocation, but I also may be majoring in Biology. Is there a religious order that allows research?

I am will always be open to the Holy Spirit of course, but I was wondering if it is possible.

-Thanks

Of course it is. You may want to contact the National Catholic Bioethics Center.

Scroll down to the bottom and look on the right side.

ncbcenter.org/

Tell them about your intentions.

Peace,
Ed

[quote="300WhiteKnights, post:1, topic:321235"]
So is it possible to be a priest and a scientist these days? I am in college discerning a religious vocation, but I also may be majoring in Biology. Is there a religious order that allows research?

I am will always be open to the Holy Spirit of course, but I was wondering if it is possible.

-Thanks

[/quote]

Certainly!! Fr. George Lemaitre was the one who formulated the "Big Bang" Theory, and he was a Catholic Priest. Fr. Gregor Mendel was the "Father" of Modern Biology and a Catholic Priest!!

May the SACRED HEART Bless Your desire to serve HIM!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: :D

A thought on the faith of the scientist

"The scientist's condition as a sentinel in the modern world, as one who is the first to glimpse the enormous complexity together with the marvellous harmony of reality, makes him a privileged witness of the plausibility of religion, a man capable of showing how the admission of transcendence, far from harming the autonomy and the ends of research, rather stimulates it to continually surpass itself in an experience of self-transcendence which reveals the human mystery".
- Pope John Paul II, 7/17/85.

Which scientific field, space, geography, medicine, technology?

Jesuit priest, Guy Consolmagnol has done several books, lives in the Vatican Observatory, and has been on the "Colbert Report". I'm kinda a fan of him.:). vaticanobservatory.org/index.php/en/research/research-highlights/cat-planetary-sciences.

There are fertility catholic doctors who maintain catholic values and still practice medicine. Gosh, our parish even had a former Airforce pilot convert to a priest. From my understanding part of a priests education should focus on some sciences. Many take psychology classes to help them.

-Thanks

[/quote]

The Jesuits and the Franciscans for a start.

-Thanks

[/quote]

Of course! Fr. Georges LeMaître theorized the Big Bang, Gregor Mendel founded genetics, Pope Francis has a master's in chemistry, and one of the priests at my home parish once worked at Fermi Lab

Pope Francis.. PhD in chemistry...I'm going to go with yeah.

O.o
fermilab!

[quote="Agent_Benedict, post:8, topic:321235"]
O.o
fermilab!

[/quote]

I assume at my parish priest who worked there?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.