Priest asked if I was catholic

Not everyone who comes to Mass is a Catholic or belongs to that parish.

My comment was concerning the “improper-ness” of a priest asking someone a question after Mass.

I have no idea what parish it is, who attends, nor any details about the OP other than his post. I’ve met a lot of priests who don’t interact with people after Mass, so I think it’s a good thing that the priest talked with him!

I wouldn’t worry about it.
I would assume the priest is seeing you come up week after week, and wondering why you don’t feel you can take the Eucharist. Not having completed RCIA yet, or first communion as a child, is an acceptable reason.
If it had been unrepentant sin, or ‘not feeling worthy enough’, then he would have been able to chat after the mass.
Regarding taking a blessing- it’s normal in the UK, elsewhere it can vary. Your priest seems fine with it, so keep going up for a blessing.

My husband and two sons are in RCIA, and had the Rite of Welcome yesterday. Normally we go to the Saturday evening Mass and had always remained in our pew during Communion. As a former Lutheran, I was accustomed to seeing non-communicants come and kneel at the altar rail for a blessing along with non-confirmed youngsters. I was aware that in the Catholic church, these individual blessings were the source of some consternation so we remained kneeling in our pew to avoid giving any offense. Yesterday, at the late Sunday morning service, one of the ladies helping the RCIA candidates nearly scolded us for remaining in the pew, and kept on until we awkwardly joined the line. Honestly, I am content to wait. I experience His presence even if not as fully as I will next year. I know our friendly sister in Christ meant well, but it was a pretty graceless exercise with little spiritual gain.

I agree. I would hope a priest is aware enough of those attending his mass to be able to ask the hard questions

Stilltodream that’s highly inappropriate of that person. You are free to do what you wish , go up or stay in the pew, for your entire Catholic time on earth.

This EWTN article explains it a bit. It seems to be a response to the environment of countries that have large Christian populations but relatively small Catholic populations.

I have never understood the need to join the Communion line for a blessing. EVERYONE gets a blessing from the priest at the end of the Mass.

My motivation was to go up and bow before Christ.

For people in RCIA, going up for a blessing can be a HUGE thing. They feel included rather than excluded and feel like they’re being recognized as people preparing to enter the Church.

A blessing given to everyone after Communion is simply a blessing given to everyone. Quite different from something individual.

You may not understand it – and frankly it’s not something I would do – but I’ve heard it from too many people to ignore it.

So when they enter the Church we can assume they will no longer go up for a blessing if they are not in the state of Grace to receive? Why not catechize them properly and maybe they will feel a part of the Church by understanding we all get a blessing at the end of Mass.

They’re hardly uncatechized if they’re following the directions of their pastor or bishop.

I guess they just want to be a part of a Communion, even if they can’t actually receive.

even priests can be curious about what they observe. do not take it as a negative interaction just because you do not know or understand the motivation behind the question. the only action the priest could have taken that should make you feel defensive would be if he had asked you to leave when you said you were not catholic.

just take it for literally what it was, a priest interacting with a member of the congregation when he remembered you and was curious as to why you never took communion.

Amen , this.

It also has to do with a ritual, symbolic, and being part of the community of the congregation.

Going up for a blessing is NOT part of Communion.

Despite some bishops/priests allowing this the Church is clear that non-Catholics and Catholics in a state of mortal sin may not join the Communion line for a blessing.

Thistle with respect, we have no idea who is in a state of mortal sin and who isn’t.

Only God can judge it. And His priests in confession. Also , if a person is going up for Communion or a blessing and is not cognisant of the three conditions for mortal sin, they are not in fact, in mortal sin.

And if they have no idea they should not be going up because they are fully aware they are in mortal sin, then again, they are not sinning, mortally.

I never said that. I am talking objectively that any Catholic in a state of mortal sin should not be in the Communion line.

One would imagine if someone knew they were in mortal sin and knew they should not be in the communion line, they wouldn’t be there.

I wouldn’t bet my life on that. In these forums over the years I seen comments from many people who said they went up for a blessing because they could not receive due to state of mortal sin.
Frankly, when you consider the most likely sins people commit, e.g. sins of the flesh most people in that situation know they have committed a mortal sin.

Well, I wasn’t talking about those who aren’t able to receive due to knowingly have committed mortal sin. Im talking about those who are in the process of becoming Catholic but haven’t finished the process yet.
And little kids who go up with their parents.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.