Priest asked if I was catholic

Actually, I think it’s more of an English language thing.

Some would disagree with you:

Pope Emeritus Benedict

Our diocese encourages going up for a blessing if you can’t receive communion, and also for children. I loved going up when I was in RCIA and now I also always make sure to get the Eucharist from a priest or deacon so that my 6 year old can get a blessing! :heart:

This is one reason I tend not to do the blessing… I was in a wedding once where it was me and the ring bearer being the only two in the party who didn’t receive. It felt so awkward in front of a packed church getting a blessing with the 6 year old ring bearer when the blessing (at least to me) sounds like it is normally something for kids. IDK, that could be the introvert in me talking as that was the 1st (and only) time I’ve come forward.

My 5 year old goes up for a blessing our wonderful priest before communion tells everyone at church that if they are not catholic or not pre disposed to receive communion but would like a blessing to come up with there hands crossed over there chests.

Since when did it not become ok for sinners to be blessed? I think you are conflating two different issues in the Communion line. Probably my fault because I did not make it clear I was talking about mortal sin for the Eucharist.

They are two different issues. And I disagree that most likely sins are sins of the flesh. Any one ever ran stats on that?

The Church is clear (despite individual priests/bishops disobeying) that non-Catholics and Catholics in a state of mortal sin may not join the Communion line for a blessing.

If you can tell me what mortal sins are more prevalent among Catholics than sins of the flesh I am happy to listen.
By sins of the flesh I mean any sexual act outside marriage from masturbation, to adultery, fornication etc to sexual acts within marriage (man and woman) that do not end with the husband climaxing inside his wife.

Source, please?

Before anyone jumps in and says this is not an authoritative statement because it is a response to a private letter it is true the letter per se is not authoritative but in its contents reference is made to authoritative existing Church disciplines which cover the issue of blessings at Mass.

The response from the CDW was in the form of a letter (Protocol No. 930/08/L), dated November 22, 2008, signed by Father Anthony Ward, SM, Under-secretary of the Congregation.

The letter said that “this matter is presently under the attentive study of the Congregation”, so “for the present, this dicastery wishes to limit itself to the following observations”:

1. The liturgical blessing of the Holy Mass is properly given to each and to all at the conclusion of the Mass, just a few moments subsequent to the distribution of Holy Communion.

2. Lay people, within the context of Holy Mass, are unable to confer blessings. These blessings, rather, are the competence of the priest (cf. Ecclesia de Mysterio , Notitiae 34 (15 Aug. 1997), art. 6, § 2; Canon 1169, § 2; and Roman Ritual De Benedictionibus (1985), n. 18).

3. Furthermore, the laying on of a hand or hands — which has its own sacramental significance, inappropriate here — by those distributing Holy Communion, in substitution for its reception, is to be explicitly discouraged.

4. The Apostolic Exhortation Familiaris Consortio n. 84, “forbids any pastor, for whatever reason to pretext even of a pastoral nature, to perform ceremonies of any kind for divorced people who remarry”. To be feared is that any form of blessing in substitution for communion would give the impression that the divorced and remarried have been returned, in some sense, to the status of Catholics in good standing.

5. In a similar way, for others who are not to be admitted to Holy Communion in accord with the norm of law, the Church’s discipline has already made clear that they should not approach Holy Communion nor receive a blessing. This would include non-Catholics and those envisaged in can. 915 (i.e., those under the penalty of excommunication or interdict, and others who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin).

The Congregation’s clarification that extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion (always laity), cannot give sacramental blessings within Mass is very helpful; and could be especially useful to pastors in parishes where inappropriate blessings during Communion have become common.

I’m pretty much getting the picture about going up to receive a blessing. It is meant only for children with their parents who are not of age yet to do their first communion. I will indeed stay in the pew until I am able to receive sacraments. Maybe my pastor was referring about it being inappropriate because of having sins of the flesh to be in the communion line, but said it in so many words.

@suscipeMeDomine quoted the Pope Emeritus up thread, saying:

I think he outranks the undersecretary of the congregation…

Can you show me the official Vatican document that says a person in mortal sin cannot go up for a blessing please.

This makes absolutely no sense to me, why? Because the end of Mass blessing would not happen, the priest couldn’t do it, lest a blessing fell on someone not in grace.

They are two completely opposing conditions. A lone or rail or where a person is, on the church should make no difference.

God is mercy

It’s a pity we don’t have Don Ruggero here to discuss the ins and outs of this

I showed you the letter which references existing Church disciplines which do not permit anyone joining the Communion line for a blessing.

He was expressing his opinion and not giving official permission.
The whole issue of blessings at Mass is being looked at by the CDW. Meantime, existing Church disciplines say nobody should be in the Communion line for a blessing. It is called a Communion line for a reason. It is solely for people going up to receive Communion. It is not a Communion and Blessing line.

Sorry, the whole Board of Bishops in my country (England and Wales) disagree with you, and have yet to be countermanded by the Pope, so meanwhile………

So meanwhile all bishops and priests who allow this are being disobedient to the Church’s discipline which is that non-Catholics and Catholics in a state of mortal sin may not join the Communion line for a blessing.
Search these forums for the many threads on this subject and you will see that the priests on this forum agree going up for a blessing is not permitted.
Now when the whole subject of blessings at Mass is finally concluded there may be a different outcome because disciplines can be changed but until that time existing Church disciplines say the Communion line is only for those going up to receive.

I can just so relate to this. I’ve been to countless Catholic churches away from my own parish for various reasons, some of them quite regularly, And in most of them I never had the priest or anynody else inquiring about me. I’ve also been to evangelical churches ith friends and people immediately see there’s a new face and come over and make you welcome and tell you to come to them if you have any questions.

@thistle, When the Vatican wants to act on something they are capable of doing it expeditiously. See, for example, the very quick slapdown of the USCCB when they wanted to discuss bishop accountability in the abuse crisis at their last meeting. The meeting started on Monday; on Sunday they were told not to vote on the matter. End of discussion.

In the case of communion line blessings, according to your postings, it has been under consideration for over a decade. In that time, it has become the normal practice in many countries. It doesn’t exactly strike me as something the Vatican cares all that much about.

I think you’re tilting at windmills. You can continue your quest to keep people out, but it’s not having any effect.

Bishops tend to do things that go against the rubrics and get away with it. I was in a diocese a few years ago where the bishop decided that we didn’t need to kneel except for the consecration. Doing something doesn’t always make it right.

There’s literally nothing wrong with what he asked. Usually those who go up for a blessing aren’t catholic. He wasn’t trying to shame you

Bokbok

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.