Priest asked if I was catholic

Apparently, the priest didn’t recognize you. Probably forgetfulness on his part, even though you were probably introduced during your RCIA classes.

He wanted to know who you were, so he took the opportunity to ask. I don’t see any reason to take offense.

Don’t you think it’s a bit strange to take that opportunity when exiting Mass? I’m not Catholic and would think it’s really…strange…weird…if a priest were to stop on the way out of Mass to ask me if I’m Catholic or not.

I would continue to the go up for the blessing… that is the proper etiquette. The priest lacked tack in how he approached you and spoke to you. Something seems improper about his questioning you in this way… :wink:

Agreed…I think it’s, at best, strange.

Welcome to the faith!

Please keep us posted. I want to hear about it when you receive your 1st Holy Communion, and all the other milestones in your journey. Don’t let something like this bother you - keep your eyes on the prize. :wink:

It’s my understanding that non-Catholic are supposed to remain in the pew during Communion. This is the practice in our diocese.

He was probably trying to gently explain to you that he would rather you not do this as it puts him in any awkward position.

There are several reasons not to but the main one is that the laying of hands by a priest has significant sacrament meaning. Not just everyone can receive a blessing, this is why they are so special and important. It’s also really awkward for the EMHC because we can’t give blessings. Consider refraining for now. It’ll make it just that much more special when it’s for real.

Perhaps because you should not be going up for a blessing during communion. That is the time for communion and no rubric that I’m aware of actually exists to allow for a blessing. Now if I were serving the Mass (which should not be done while not in a state of grace, really) and not in a state of grace and therefore not prepared to receive communion, I would cross my arms and, depending on the priest, probably receive a blessing simply because I’d already be up there. However I would not get up and go up from the pew for this. We are all blessed at the conclusion of Mass.

My 5 year old goes up for a blessing our preist tells everyone if they are not predisposed to receive communion then they may come up for a blessing mr 5 is one of the first to go up with his arms crossed for his blessing. I think it’s great it gets him used to going up

That’s something your priest personally allows despite there being no rubric in the books to allow for it. Other priests may simply just do nothing in such a case, or go by to the next communicant at the rail. We were taught to do the same as your daughter in school and I later learned it was wrong.

Vnieto - Here in the UK it is quite normal, and indeed mostly encouraged for folks, who can’t, for whatever [reasonable] reason, cannot/should not, actually receive Holy Communion - that they join the Communion lines with arms crossed, seeking in humility to God a blessing from the priest. May God bless you, and guide you safely into the Church.

Yes, indeed. It has been encouraged by the Board Of Catholic Bishops of England and Wales since the 1970s. following the Swanwick Conference.

As they said, Holy Communion is not a time to inflict pain on non-Catholic spouses by emphasising our differences by making them stay in their pew while their family goes forward.

The 1970’s is a long time ago, perhaps people have a different viewpoint today and wouldn’t find it painful at all

I would think the opposite. If anything, people would be even more impatient of what they see as ‘rules’ and not understanding the problem with going forward for a blessing.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.