Priest cited in Spotlight commits suicide [CC]

Father Bonifacio Buzzi, a priest mentioned in the film Spotlight, hanged himself in his jail cell in Minas Gerais, Brazil.

More…

Buzzi got a reduced sentence and the Catholic Church obtained a court order allowing him to serve it out at the home of the local archbishop.

:mad:

thesestonewalls.com/gordon-macrae/how-father-benedict-groeschel-entered-my-darkest-night/

I will pray for his soul.

Father Bonifacio Buzzi, a priest mentioned in the film Spotlight, hanged himself in his jail cell in Minas Gerais, Brazil.

The priest, who was convicted and jailed from 2007 to 2015 for molestation, was arrested on August 5 on new molestation charges, according to a Reuters report.

My condolences to those who knew him, my thoughts and prayers are with them.

Indeed :mad:

What’s worse is why he was in jail again where he hung himself.

This was the THIRD time in 21 years he’d been arrested for abusing children. He was arrested and convicted for abusing children in a mental hospital in 1995 and sentenced to house arrest. And he’d just finished his sentence and the inexplicable house arrest with the bishop arranged by the Catholic Church for his 2007 arrest and conviction for molestation of an 11 year old boy (after he’d been on the lamb for 3 years after being found guilty of that crime in 2004).

This most recent arrest was now his third instance of arrest stemming from abusing children, in this case another instance of molestation. How this man was still a priest after the incidents in 1995, never mind all the way to today is utterly baffling. But then again if the Church is protecting him as they clearly were in 2007 arranging his house arrest with the archbishop, maybe it’s not surprising after all… The Vatican was finally taking action against him, but did it seriously need 21 years and three arrests before they laicized this monster? It sure does no favors to the Church as a bastion of moral authority that’s for sure. :nope:

catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/08/09/brazilian-priest-commits-suicide-in-prison-after-new-abuse-allegations/

The article’s title is pretty misleading. It almost seems to imply that he committed suicide because he was cited in Spotlight. When the reality is very different it seems, since he didn’t kill himself until after he’d been caught molesting yet another child this year long AFTER the movie came out.

Praying for the repose of the soul of Father Bonifacio Buzzi and solace for his family.

Réquiem æternam dona ei, Dómine, et lux perpétua lúceat ei.

Anima eius, et ánimæ ómnium fidélium defunctórum, per misericórdiam Dei requiéscant in pace.

Amen.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/Kerze_2007k.JPG/24px-Kerze_2007k.JPG

Pie Jesu

Áve María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum;

benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Jésus.

Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstræ.

Ámen.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]
[/FONT]

And I offer a prayer for his many victims, known and any unknown. May they be able to recover from his monstrous actions both physically and mentally. And may their faith not be destroyed due to their abuse at the hands of a supposed man of God.

I also pray for the Buzzi’s soul as well.

What happens to extremely well publicized accused child molesters inside Brazilian prisons? There’s no way of knowing whether he was murdered, whether he was tortured, or what happened to him. Brazilian prisons have a fearsome reputation.

True. Hopefully they’ll investigate as you’re correct he may have been killed by someone enacting vigilante justice given his extensive history of molesting children and getting away with it. Apparently with Church support. That said, perhaps it was just a suicide and the fear of the fearsome Brazilian prisons was enough to push him over the edge since he’d never had to serve time in them after his 1995 and 2007 convictions for child molestation since the Church had arranged for him to serve his sentences at home in both instances. :nope:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.