Priest contradicts church teaching

I attended a requiem mass some months back, but I would like to know what you think of something that happened in the mass. The priest who led the mass here in Kampala, seemed hell bent on pleasing the family of the deceased. The deceased had been cohabiting with his fiance and they had a child. The priest who was personally known to the deceased, told the congregation during his homily that the deceased had done nothing wrong to cohabit and Church ministers who denied him communion before his death were making the Catholic Church a rigid institution which was sending away people from the church. Apparently other Church ministers wanted the deceased to first get married in Church before they could administer holy communion to him. He didn't do it and died while still in this state. I don't want to judge him but these are the simple facts.

A certain cabinet minister here in Uganda who is Catholic and always sits in "reserved seats for VIPs" at Church functions also picked on from here. During his eulogy, he claimed the Church is rigid and needs to soften up before people run out of it. He claimed that since a sinner says; "Lord Iam not worth to recieve you, but only say the word and I shall be healed" shortly before communion, we should trust in God's mercy and not put obstacles to God's mercy. I was disturbed by this and wonder what you think of these two people of high standing in our local community. Pardon my english if there are any mistakes.

Your english is just fine...Probably better than mine...:D

You were right to be disturbed by this. It seems a poor time and place for the priest to be giving, what was essentially, a political talk.

I suggest that you do some "running" yourself. First out of his parish and, if you feel it appropriate, second to the Bishop to report the abuse.

Peace
James

I believe a priest of God does the Body of Christ a great disservice when he presumes to know, counsel and advise better than our Lord. In Luke's Gospel, (18:18-21), "An official asked him this question, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
Jesus answered him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.
You know the commandments, 'You shall not commit adultery; you shall not kill; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; honor your father and your mother.'"
And he replied, "All of these I have observed from my youth."

A priest, no all of us are called to love our neighbor, love him or her all the way to heaven. That means telling the truth when it comes to matters of salvation, even if it is not particularly PC. Encouraging another soul to dishonor the Eucharist by receiving when in a state of mortal sin is sinful and unloving all by itself. Further, it causes scandal by misleading others into sin. Read Genesis and the story of the Garden. That was Satan's MO.

I believe that when people are held to the standards that Christ set for his people, the pews will be filled to capacity. If you want lukewarm, there are plenty of protestant churches that would fit.

Priests need to stop preaching unconditional tolerance in the name of Christ. Jesus was not that tolerant. It was not a particularly fun time in history to be a Pharisee. It was so distressing to them, they felt compelled to crucify our Blessed Lord.

I realize I might be generalizing. There are many good, holy priests who tell it like it is. And there are other well meaning priests who, through their convoluted sense of compassion, are leading their flocks to the brink of damnation...

I know according to the book of Maccabees, we can pray for the dead people regardless of how they lived. NEVERTHELESS, I think what that priest did, was basically contradicting CHURCH'S TEACHING. Will it be okey for you if you could talk to him asking what he meant by that? If not at least write to him or write to the Bishop.

[quote="cargau, post:3, topic:219191"]
I believe a priest of God does the Body of Christ a great disservice when he presumes to know, counsel and advise better than our Lord. In Luke's Gospel, (18:18-21), "An official asked him this question, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
Jesus answered him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.
You know the commandments, 'You shall not commit adultery; you shall not kill; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; honor your father and your mother.'"
And he replied, "All of these I have observed from my youth."

A priest, no all of us are called to love our neighbor, love him or her all the way to heaven. That means telling the truth when it comes to matters of salvation, even if it is not particularly PC. Encouraging another soul to dishonor the Eucharist by receiving when in a state of mortal sin is sinful and unloving all by itself. Further, it causes scandal by misleading others into sin. Read Genesis and the story of the Garden. That was Satan's MO.

I believe that when people are held to the standards that Christ set for his people, the pews will be filled to capacity. If you want lukewarm, there are plenty of protestant churches that would fit.

Priests need to stop preaching unconditional tolerance in the name of Christ. Jesus was not that tolerant. It was not a particularly fun time in history to be a Pharisee. It was so distressing to them, they felt compelled to crucify our Blessed Lord.

I realize I might be generalizing. There are many good, holy priests who tell it like it is. And there are other well meaning priests who, through their convoluted sense of compassion, are leading their flocks to the brink of damnation...

[/quote]

Well put.

Pax,
Tim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.