Priest cut me off in confession

so I was doing confession and was halfway done when the priest mumbled something. I thought he asked me a question about the sin I just confessed and said excuse me to get him to repeat the question. He thought I was done and continued on mumbling these words and finally told me to say the act of contrition and that was that. That was a first too me. Not the fact that the priest didnt seem to care at all about what I was saying and what advice he gave (which I could not understand) but the way he cut me off like that half way through.Im kinda upset about it all.

anyone have this happen to them before?

He may have been in a rush to get to an appointment, a funeral, a meeting with a parishioner, someone dying, who knows…and didn’t have time to explain. :slight_smile:
I’d just go again another time or to another church to make sure my sins were really absolved.

If the priest feels that he has heard your sins, and has heard evidence of contrition then he may give you absolution. Perhaps you were mumbling or not clear about what you were saying.

His "mumbling" ( :tsktsk: ) was Christ forgiving you of your sins.

Your sins were forgiven in that confession - no need to go again.

Priests are human, too. I would just chalk it up to a miscommunication. Yes, these things happen. Your sins are still forgiven.

I had a priest who, when I went to him for Confession, I knew in advance that I could not stop talking for even one second or else he would launch immediately into advice-giving which would seamlessly segue into the words of absolution. If I needed to stop to think, I would just have to fill their air with lots of filler words like "um...ahh...er...that is...I think..." :)

lol thanks that made me laugh :smiley:

If there where any mortal sins not confessed…bring to confession.

[quote="Niji, post:1, topic:296636"]
so I was doing confession and was halfway done when the priest mumbled something. I thought he asked me a question about the sin I just confessed and said excuse me to get him to repeat the question. He thought I was done and continued on mumbling these words and finally told me to say the act of contrition and that was that. That was a first too me. Not the fact that the priest didnt seem to care at all about what I was saying and what advice he gave (which I could not understand) but the way he cut me off like that half way through.Im kinda upset about it all.

anyone have this happen to them before?

[/quote]

Wow! Sounds like the kind of confessor that makes it easy to go often! :D Got his name and address?

Sorry, not trying to be too flip, just ease up a bit - who knows what really happened...If it repeats, start going to another confessor...or make the best of it.

[quote="Bookcat, post:6, topic:296636"]
If there where any mortal sins not confessed...bring to confession.

[/quote]

I agree but it should be known that all sins are forgiven and the OP can receive the Eucharist. You would want to confess any mortal sin to bring it to the Church but as far a God is concerned they are absolved. There are no partial absolutions. Bookcat, I know that you are aware of this but I wanted the OP to know. Thank you.........teachccd :)

it seems that their should be some sort of validation from the priest that your sins have truly been forgiven, and i thought validation could only come after a full confession?
am i wrong i know i have heard that priests arent able to hear full confessions anymore because they are time consuming, but something seems to be strange because i would worry about this too. how are we supposed to know that they are still fulfilling their duty as priests to god and as disciples of jesus? doesnt it worry anybody about whether they can truly fulfill there dutys as christians within the catholic church anymore?
there seems to be alot of changed policies after vatican II and a lot of catholics left after vatican II because they disagreed with the doctrine. The catholic church is still trying to bring them back but maybe preparing the church for a modern world wasnt the best idea.

Just recently I confessed to a priest that was a little bit older (okay, he was ancient) and also a little bit hard of hearing (okay, he couldn't hear much). This was at the Jesuit retirement home. So I knew that I had to not only speak up, but not pause, lest he think I was finished.

At least he didn't yell out "YOU DID WHAT?" :p

But it was really interesting because there were several priests available for all of those that were seeking confession. The priest were almost competing for us (not exactly). Back at my parish there is one priest, 45-60 minutes, and a line full of sinners.

In college, a priest did that to a firend of mine. :slight_smile: As soon as he stepped into the priest’s office and closed the door, the priest said that exact phrase really, really loudly so that the people in the lobby could hear it. :stuck_out_tongue: It was pretty funny. :smiley:

Reminds me of the scene from “A League of Their Own” when the Madonna character is confessing. After she leaves the confessional, the priest opens up his door to see who it was that had just confessed. They probably had to edit that scene to make it shorter than it reall was. :smiley:

I've been cut off a few times.

This happened once as the priest needed to begin Mass. The other times are when I am still trying to think of all my sins and can't think of any more for a few moments.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.