Priest denies Communion to Gay Catholic Supporters

ST. PAUL, Minn. — A Roman Catholic (search) priest denied communion (search) to more than 100 people Sunday, saying they could not receive the sacrament because they wore rainbow-colored sashes to church to show support for gay Catholics.

Before offering communion, the Rev. Michael Sklucazek (search) told the congregation at the Cathedral of St. Paul (search) that anyone wearing a sash could come forward for a blessing but would not receive wine and bread.

READ THE REST HERE:
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156601,00.html

I wrote a letter to Fox News about how they called communion “bread” and “wine” in the last sentence from my above post.
They are all highly educated and it would take them 5-10 minutes to research and find out what Catholics believe communion after consecration. Before posting a story, they should make sure it is accurate.

:frowning:

James

God is blessing this priest. Thank you for contacting Fox.

Dan L

I think that priest needs a standing ovation. Good for him.

…boy is this going to be interesting to see what unfolds…

They are indeed educated, but generally the mass media doesn’t concern itself with accuracy when discussing Catholic matters. I just caught a story on Yahoo news (it might have come from AP) & of course it made the priest and the archbishop out to be horrid intolerant monsters - they also found a renegade nun who wore a sash and a family with young children, if we can believe it, who wore rainbow ribbons in support of the gays. All of them expressed their deep disappointment at the oppressive, antiquated Catholic Church. What a surprise.

One of the “official” representatives of the rainbow group claimed that all they want to do is celebrate their “God-given” gifts of gay, lesbian, & transgender sexuality. Coincidentally, last night Father Corapi was talking about the modern trend of making lies out to be truth and vice versa, & sadly this is just another illustration of it. God bless all the clergy that get stuck in this volatile situation because I fear they’re going to face a lot of fire.

:thumbsup: Well made Michael

[quote=James_2:24]ST. PAUL, Minn. — A Roman Catholic (search) priest denied communion (search) to more than 100 people Sunday, saying they could not receive the sacrament because they wore rainbow-colored sashes to church to show support for gay Catholics.

Before offering communion, the Rev. Michael Sklucazek (search) told the congregation at the Cathedral of St. Paul (search) that anyone wearing a sash could come forward for a blessing but would not receive wine and bread.

READ THE REST HERE:
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156601,00.html
[/quote]

Amen. Finally, a story where the clergy stands up for what the Church teaches. I shake my head in disgust as many before Father Sklucazek, including some Bishops; have shied away from doing the correct thing. I hope that other Priests and Bishops worldwide will take Father Sklucazek’s lead and run with it.:thumbsup:

[quote=James_2:24]I wrote a letter to Fox News about. . . . Before posting a story, they should make sure it is accurate.
[/quote]

Fox News?

Accurate?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Oh brother, do you have a lot to learn.

[quote=romano]Fox News?

Accurate?

[/quote]

romano,

That can be said of all of them. But they are stil better, most of the time,. than Al Jazeera. Competition is something of a safeguard.

Dan L

I am so glad some priest finally have the ____ to stand up for what is right. Maybe that is why men will only be priests!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

[quote=romano]Fox News?

Accurate?

[/quote]

Yeah, if it is accuracy you want and the absence of any discernible agenda, see Dan Rather and CBS or try Newsweek while you’re at it. The NY Times is always good for a skew, too, injected in its “news” stories and in the editorial choices it makes. Do you think the Church has been depicted in a positive or fair manner in the MSM, or is your problem just with Fox?

[quote=swampfox]Yeah, if it is accuracy you want and the absence of any discernible agenda, see Dan Rather and CBS or try Newsweek while you’re at it. The NY Times is always good for a skew, too, injected in its “news” stories and in the editorial choices it makes. Do you think the Church has been depicted in a positive or fair manner in the MSM, or is your problem just with Fox?
[/quote]

No, not at all, my problem isn’t “just with Fox”… in fact, Fox is the main source I go to for news. I just saw an article this morning that pushed the wrong buttons… I have heard too many times the Eucharist (after consecration_ called “Bread” and “Wine” even by a few in my family.)

Why can’t I fire off a letter to Fox without being jumped all over? :confused: And if you have problems with these other networks, why don’t you do the same instead of being sarcastic…

[quote=romano]Fox News?

Accurate?

[/quote]

Nope, I never said they were accurate. I said before reporting they should learn to be accurate… and I didn’t exclude all the rest of the news agencies out there… They all should be accurate and have integrity…

I have a lot to learn? Maybe… but so do all here who are sarcastic about the situation… They should get off their butts and give these networks h*ll every single time news comes out that isn’t accurately depicting Church teaching…

I was taught that Catholics should receive communion as often as possible except when in a state of mortal sin. Does wearing an article of adornment, in this case a sash, put a person in a state of mortal sin?

Does disagreement with a Church teaching put a person in a state of mortal sin?

Have Catholics in the past been denied communion because of what they were wearing at Mass?

I have read Archbishop Flynn’s excellent letter, and superficially I don’t disagree with his conclusions. But, now that Catholics have been refused the Eucharist, I am concerned that this issue is not so simple as it first appears.

[quote=James_2:24]I wrote a letter to Fox News about how they called communion “bread” and “wine” in the last sentence from my above post.
They are all highly educated and it would take them 5-10 minutes to research and find out what Catholics believe communion after consecration. Before posting a story, they should make sure it is accurate.

[/quote]

The story is an AP story. They simply posted it on their site. If Fox uses copy editors for these things, they should have caught the error, but the error did not originate with Fox, it originated with the Associated Press writer or his/her editor.

[quote=OriginalJS]I was taught that Catholics should receive communion as often as possible except when in a state of mortal sin. Does wearing an article of adornment, in this case a sash, put a person in a state of mortal sin?

Have Catholics in the past been denied communion because of what they were wearing at Mass?
[/quote]

Wearing an article of adornment in and of itself does not put a person in a state of mortal sin. But leading others to scandal does. In this case, wearing a specific article of adornment, a sash, leads others to scandal, a grave sin.

It’s not the sash, it’s the scandal. It’s a form of false shepherding, leading others away from the truth of the Catholic faith.

Hurrah for the priest, but it’s not Fox’s job to explain doctrine to people. To the material world it’s just bread and wine, period. I don’t expect them to give the Catholic viewpoint, providing they don’t mock either.

And in addition, if I may add, the Archbishop specifically requested people NOT to wear the sashes and present themselves for communion.

People came in and defiantly wore the sashes.

Last I knew, disobedience was a sin. And since this sin was public, it was a scandalous sin. That is pretty grave.

Putting oneself above one’s priest and bishop, as though one were “holier than the Pope”, is boastful. Acting as though the priest/ bishop are WRONG on top of it is calumnous and divisive. . .further sins.

There was no reason whatsoever for these sash wearers to deliberately defy the words of the bishop, EXCEPT for said wearers to promote homosexual “rights” and to vilify church teachings as wrong, hateful, outmoded, etc.

And then the attempt to “take” communion (as opposed to receiving) is a further in-your-face gesture made to exalt the sash wearers as oh-so-Christian-and-perfect and the church teachers as hateful intolerant bigots. . .so that the TEACHINGS can, by the twists of their perverted “logic”, be made THEMSELVES into hateful intolerant bigotry since they are “preached” by hateful intolerant bigots, and the oh-so-Christian-and-perfect sash wearers with their LOVE and ACCEPTANCE can REMAKE the teachings into their own image and likeness. . .Sash wearers want to be god, IMO. . .

[quote=OriginalJS]I was taught that Catholics should receive communion as often as possible except when in a state of mortal sin. Does wearing an article of adornment, in this case a sash, put a person in a state of mortal sin?

I have read Archbishop Flynn’s excellent letter, and superficially I don’t disagree with his conclusions. But, now that Catholics have been refused the Eucharist, I am concerned that this issue is not so simple as it first appears.
[/quote]

It’s actually quite simple: canons 750-752 is pretty clear about the responsibility of the laity in regards to obedience to the teachings of the Church. Scripture is pretty clear as to how those who are obstinate in their denial of Church authority should be viewed (Matthew 18:17). Also, the result of receiving the Body, Blood, Should and Divinity of our Lord unworthily is recorded in Scripture (1 Corinthians 11:27).

Homosexuals, like all unmarried people, need to live chaste lives and not mistake urges as “divine” gifts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.