Priest didn't say "go in peace"

The last time I went to Confession, it was a substitute priest I had never seen before, and after he absolved me, I waited and he said nothing (They usually say "your sins are forgiven, go in peace" or something similar). Finally, I just said, "Thanks be to God." and left the confessional. I am scrupulous and afterwards I thought, "Did he really absolve my sins?" And I thought so because I remember making the sign of the cross as he did. But it really threw me off when he didn't say "go in peace" or give me any words of dismissal. Should I be concerned?

If he said “…I absolve you of your sins” etc. after you confessed and then he gave you penance, I wouldnt be concerned

He did give me a penance.

You’re fine. Please, go in peace. :signofcross:

[quote="holyghost, post:4, topic:290170"]
You're fine. Please, go in peace. :signofcross:

[/quote]

Hehehe:p

Just because he didn’t say, “Go in peace” doesn’t automatically mean that you have to go in doubt. You are fine. Don’t worry about it.

Only one priest that I go to confession to says “Go in peace.”

*Only one priest that I go to confession to says “Go in peace.”

I guess it’s just that he didn’t say ANYTHING after absolution. I waited and I didn’t know what to say so I said, “Thanks be to God” and left. I thought the priest always gave words of dismissal, but I guess I won’t worry about it since there was absolution and penance given.

No where in the rubrics for Confession, either in the old form or the new form does it even say that the priest should say “Go in peace.” Not all priests say it. Some do. Mine says “Go in Peace. God Bless” whereas the other priest says “Go in Peace. Pray for me, a sinner” (That threw me off) and I had another visiting priest say absolutely nothing, which was just awkward, because he was talking so quietly, I wasn’t even sure if he had finished saying the words of absolution until he told me that I was free to go. :o

As long the priest says the words of absolution, you’re good (provided you had sufficient contrition, didn’t deliberately leave out any mortal sins, etc).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.