Priest doesn't wash hands

Before canon during mass last saturday. It was done innocently. Any problems?

It could have been a mistake. The Priest may have just forgot, which of course, is okay.

But, if done on purpose, this would be a Liturgical Abuse. The rubrics state clearly that Priest is to wash and dry his hands after the offertory (and thus before the consecration as you say). This is both a Scriptural Tradition and a Practical tradition, to prevent any dirt from touching the Sacred Host.

It could be a mistake or an abuse. But in all forms of the Roman Rite, the washing of the hands MUST occur. It would not make the Mass invalid if he didn't wash his hands, but it would make it an illicit celebration; because the Priest did not follow the Rubrics given by Holy Mother Church - which is a divine institution, and puts these laws in place for many reasons, by the will of God, and of respect for Jesus Christ who will be made present upon the altar.

God Bless,
Deus, Salus Nostra :gopray2:

Yes, it was a mistake, I was aware of that case if on purpose, but it's nice to see it in writing to put it together. I guess I was wondering if it was illicit.

It's not at all illicit if it was a mistake; it's all about the Priest's intentions. The question we ask in such a case is: Are their intentions/ideas in accordance with the will of God (through his Church) or rather their own self-introduced ideas (which if they are contrary to the Liturgical Books, are wrong)? But you needn't worry in this case of course.

There would be no problem here. God bless, and it was good of you to ask about such things.

God bless you! :D

[quote="TheologicalLeft, post:1, topic:337454"]
Before canon during mass last saturday. It was done innocently. Any problems?

[/quote]

It is not a requirement for validity; therefore, it has no effect on the Mass.

If it was a simple error it can't even be counted as liturgical abuse.

I'm interested in how you noticed. There's a lot happening at the Offertory. My priest could be omitting the handwashing week after week and I don't think I'd notice.

[quote="Bergon, post:5, topic:337454"]
It is not a requirement for validity; therefore, it has no effect on the Mass.

If it was a simple error it can't even be counted as liturgical abuse.

I'm interested in how you noticed. There's a lot happening at the Offertory. My priest could be omitting the handwashing week after week and I don't think I'd notice.

[/quote]

During mass I watch the priest closely and would also notice if anything was not done.

[quote="ajecphotos, post:6, topic:337454"]
During mass I watch the priest closely and would also notice if anything was not done.

[/quote]

Why do you watch the priest so closely?

Because i love the mass especially the offertory etc. As he is acting in the name of Jesus i really dont want to miss what he is doing. It is such a wonderful moment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.