Priest Embraces Islam B/c Of Fahd's Funeral

Priest Embraces Islam B/c Of Fahd’s Funeral

P.K. Abdul Ghafour, Arab News

JEDDAH, 21 August 2005 — The funeral of King Fahd, which was conducted in a simple manner in Riyadh earlier this month, has encouraged a well-known Christian priest in Italy to embrace Islam, press reports said.

The priest, who watched the late king’s funeral on satellite television, was impressed by the lack of pomp and pageantry in the royal funeral, Al-Riyadh Arabic daily reported without mentioning his name.

King Fahd was buried in Al-Oud graveyard the next day of his death after a solemn funeral ceremony attended by world leaders.

Islamic preacher Dr. Abdullah Al-Malik said the simple funeral of the king had a dramatic effect on the priest’s mind, which led him to Islam. “Although he had read several Islamic books before, they didn’t have the same impact.”

This is the second high-profile reversion to Islam by an Italian involving Saudi Arabia. Four years ago, Italian Ambassador to Riyadh Torquato Cardilli embraced Islam.

“The priest watched the funeral of King Fahd and another person on television and did not find any difference,” Malik said. “There was only a single funeral prayer for the two and both were buried in similar graves. This great example of equality influenced the priest and prompted him to embrace Islam,” Malik said.

Muslim preachers in Italy had given the priest Islamic books and cassettes in the past 15 years, but what moved him was the simplicity of the royal funeral.

“I had read several Islamic books and heard many Islamic cassettes over the past years, they never moved me. But the simple royal funeral shook me and changed my mind,” Malik quoted the priest as saying.

He said he believed the king’s funeral would change the mind of many others. He urged Muslim media to focus on stories related to Islam’s tolerance and equality in order to attract more people to the religion.

“I will work the rest of my life for the propagation of Islam,” the 62-year-old former priest said.

Badr Al-Olayan, director of the Islamic Education Foundation in Jeddah, said the priest’s reversion to Islam was “very good news.” He narrated the story of another Italian who came to IEF office to embrace Islam after being impressed by the large and orderly congregation of Muslims at the Grand Mosque in Makkah to perform prayers.

“How can you assemble such a large number of people by just making a call. It’s impossible. Only God can do that,” he quoted the Italian as saying.

Olayan urged Muslims to do more in order to take the message of Islam to other people.

Ambassador Cardilli, 60, embraced Islam on Nov. 15, 2001. “I am fully convinced of the truth of Islam through my regular reading of God’s final revelation, the Holy Qur’an,” Cardilli was quoted as saying at the time.

What has this to do on this forum? There are hundreds of Christian converts from the Islamic faith all over the world, from ordinary muslims to imams. They were not converted due to some funerals but are convinced that Jesus is the Son of God and came to save us.

Pio

[quote=hlgomez]What has this to do on this forum? There are hundreds of Christian converts from the Islamic faith all over the world, from ordinary muslims to imams. They were not converted due to some funerals but are convinced that Jesus is the Son of God and came to save us.

Pio
[/quote]

That’s just more of their triumphalism … meant to impress us! First of all, we don’t even know if it’s true, …

Besides those who convert from Islam don’t publish the fact for fear of reprisals.

yeah i read the article yesterday and i wouldnt post it here because this inst a place for that .

The problem is that we muslims have the same triumphalism meant to impress us on our forum too. So i just hope we all udnerstand that triumphalism goes both ways.

Peace

[quote=Hashi Al-Eritre]Priest Embraces Islam B/c Of Fahd’s Funeral

P.K. Abdul Ghafour, Arab News

JEDDAH, 21 August 2005 — The funeral of King Fahd, which was conducted in a simple manner in Riyadh earlier this month, has encouraged a well-known Christian priest in Italy to embrace Islam, press reports said.

The priest, who watched the late king’s funeral on satellite television, was impressed by the lack of pomp and pageantry in the royal funeral, Al-Riyadh Arabic daily reported without mentioning his name.
[/quote]

:hmmm: :hmmm:

I wonder that the ceremony a culture uses following the death of an individual has such alledged impact. It is the life of the man in that culture that should be examined. During my seminary years, I had the opportunity to study Islam extencively and interact with many Saudi families. The staggering wealth of the very extended royal family over against the abject poverty of the people (most of whome are denied even citizenship and therefore do not appear on the offical census) does not speak of a people faithful to God. You can fool all of the people some of the time. You can fool some of the people all of the time. But you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.

True , But i can say the same thing about christianity . In the current world of materialism , still teher will be people who will folllow a good example of a christian and others who will hate bad examples of christians .

Just having an incident of inspiration with some aspect doesnt mean he is a fool . And not all saudis are daemons and not all Christians are angels .

The man read alot about Islam and he saw somthing that sealed his decision . Peace

[quote=meedo]True , But i can say the same thing about christianity . In the current world of materialism , still teher will be people who will folllow a good example of a christian and others who will hate bad examples of christians .

Just having an incident of inspiration with some aspect doesnt mean he is a fool . And not all saudis are daemons and not all Christians are angels .

The man read alot about Islam and he saw somthing that sealed his decision . I guess he shouldnt be labeled a fool.
Peace
[/quote]

You can say what you like, but it’s still a foolish reason to embrace a religion! I used to work with a girl who joined the Church of Christ because she liked the way their choir sang! Wouldn’t you call that a silly reason??

if the christian members find the post offensive, feel free to remove it. I didnt post it to give an example of someone who left christianity, i posted it to illustrate the reason why that person converted. And i disagree in saying its a stupid reason, it is not a common phenomenon to witness a king being barried as if he was any other man, in a simple white shroud, in a nameless unmarked graveyard. This you will only find in the teachings of Islam.

Again, if its offensive or doesnt belong here, mods are free to remove it.

[quote=Hashi Al-Eritre]if the christian members find the post offensive, feel free to remove it. I didnt post it to give an example of someone who left christianity, i posted it to illustrate the reason why that person converted. And i disagree in saying its a stupid reason, it is not a common phenomenon to witness a king being barried as if he was any other man, in a simple white shroud, in a nameless unmarked graveyard. This you will only find in the teachings of Islam.

Again, if its offensive or doesnt belong here, mods are free to remove it.
[/quote]

But who is this priest?

Why dont we see a name?

Or a link

Two questions:

1. If the priest is a “high-profile” conversion, why is he not named? I can find no corroboration of this story anywhere else.

2. Didn’t *Al-Riyadh * publish a story a few years ago promoting the idea that Jews use the blood of Muslims in their food?

This story is starting to smell bad. :nope:

arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=68768&d=21&m=8&y=2005

The story was taken from www.arabnews.com, which is run by Saudi Research & Publishing Co., a Saudi based English-language daily newspaper. It is a well established news outlet and is distributed around the world. It seems they took the story from ar-Riyadh, which is an arabic newspaper.

As for why theres no name, perhaps he didnt wanna be named for fear or to avoid public attention.

Anyhow, i dont mind looking into the story myself, i will write to the writer of the article and ask if he could provide more sources for the story. If he replies, ill post the sources.

Hashi,

Thank you for providing a link to the news source.

All,

Overall, this topic is being reasonably discussed and I thank you for that.

Just a reminder - it is fine to disagree with a decision made by someone to convert to another faith. Please, however, refrain from obviously hostile terminology such as “garbage”, “fool”, and similar words.

Thank you,

Joe

[quote=Hashi Al-Eritre]As for why theres [sic] no name, perhaps he didnt [sic] wanna [sic] be named for fear or to avoid public attention.
[/quote]

I doubt that a former priest now dedicated to spreading the Muslim faith would not want his name publicized along with his conversion story. Such anonymity would defeat the purpose, don’t you think? I don’t doubt that Catholics do convert to Islam, but this particular story does not pass the sniff test.

Having just returned from the Middle East recently, I don’t place much faith in the credibility of any news outlet from that part of the world. Muslim-dominated media in the Middle East and elsewhere are prone to propagating myth-information, sensationalism, conspiracy theories and anything that makes Western civilization look bad no matter how preposterous. Remember how it was reported by Middle Eastern news outlets that American and Israeli nuclear tests caused the deadly tsunami last December? Or what about all those “reports” on Al Jazera claiming that Jews were responsible for the destruction of the Twin Towers?

Let’s consider the source before we give this article any credibility. That said, I too must agree with Mr. Monahan that the original post was entirely appropriate for this forum. Thanks for the post Hashi. Better to discuss and question an article such as this than to censor it as you suggested.

[quote=Desert Father]I wonder that the ceremony a culture uses following the death of an individual has such alledged [sic] impact. It is the life of the man in that culture that should be examined.
[/quote]

Let’s not forget the reports of mass conversions to Catholicism during the recent papal funeral by those claiming to be moved by the passing of John Paul II. People can be motivated by the death of someone so beloved to seek God. It’s where they find Him that makes all the difference.

[quote=Booklover]You can say what you like, but it’s still a foolish reason to embrace a religion!
[/quote]

If some of those Catholic converts who were motivated by the death of John Paul II were Muslim, would you still think they were foolish to embrace the Catholic religion for that reason? Just wondering.

[quote=Desert Father]During my seminary years, I had the opportunity to study Islam extencively [sic] and interact with many Saudi families. The staggering wealth of the very extended royal family over against the abject poverty of the people does not speak of a people faithful to God.
[/quote]

DF has opened up a can of worms. What can be said about the vast majority living in the Christian West who hoard the world’s resources; dispose of food as a matter of habit; freely yoke themselves to endless debt payments rather than give to the poor; and are so given over to crass materialism, gluttony and consumerism as a way of life?

It would be easy to dismiss them as nonbelievers, but then you would have to allow the same liberty to the defenders Islam when you accuse the “very extended Royal Family” of not being “a people faithful to God.” Be careful how you frame your arguments so that you don’t appear to be throwing stones from a shatter-prone glass house. Next time, remember that the infamous British Royals also claim to be Christians.

Mike

I think it is fair for those reading this thread to doubt the story. Although what i know from that source is that they are credible, i cannot find anymore sources other than them. And since this is regarding a conversion, it is important there be no shadow of a doubt the story is true.

thanks for all your replies.

I too am concerned that there are no other sources for this. The Catholic Church does not persecute apostates in a manner that would require a person to hide their identity, so the whole secrecy surrounding this strikes me as disturbingly odd.

I’m not willing to accept this story until I see it from multiple credible sources. This isn’t because I feel that Muslim sources are inherently untrustworthy, but because this kind of conversion is not something that is usually hidden in the Catholic community, and there would be every reason for this individual to release the information to many and not just a single news source. In fact, most priests who embrace what the Church considers to be heretical beliefs seem to go out of their way to let the world know (look at the history of Protestantism), and this is highly uncharacteristic of Catholic conversions. Anyone can tell you that the most vocal anti-Catholics are former Catholics.

It might be real, but I just can’t accept it until I hear more. Please keep us updated as more information surfaces, so we can address the issue (if it exists) in a truthful and honest manner.

:blessyou:

I agree with you ghosty

Me myself read the article but i didnt post anything about it because it wasnt backed by many sources and the name was hidden . I dont discredit them but i dont believe them either.

I have received a mail from the Director of Asianews, Vatican.
According his reports no priest embraced to Islam recently from Italy.

If any one has any link with the priests name please provide. If you dont have his name and clear address please don`t.

In Christ,
selvaraj

So the priest alledgely embraced Islam, hey, nobody’s perfect. Any so-called religion that promotes violence or mistreatment of people and then rewards that uncivilized conduct with ‘seventy three’ virgins’ should be reserved for stray cats and junkyard dogs. The rest of us people take up our cross and walk in the path of Faith as our Lord Jesus Christ has commanded of us.

Objectively speaking, I fear for the soul of the Priest. Not only was his soul ontologically marked with the Priesthood, making him Another Christ, but that implies he had a strong faith, leaving out the probability of ignorance. I hope God has mercy on him…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.