Priest Hurt in Faith-Hate Attack

A priest has been attacked in the grounds of his church, in what police described as a “faith-hate” crime.

Canon Michael Ainsworth, 57, was injured by two Asian youths at the church, in Tower Hamlets, east London.

Canon Ainsworth said a third youth watched as he suffered cuts, bruises and black eyes in the assault at the church of St George-in-the-East.

The youths also jeered at the priest for being a churchman in the attack on Wednesday night, the Met Police said. An appeal for witnesses has been made.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7297901.stm

Terrible - I pray he will recover speedily, both physically and emotionally.

Here is a bit more information on the incident.
timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article3558715.ece

May our Lord comfort him and guide others to pray for his attackers and bring them to justice.

Britain, as is the rest of Europe, is in some serious trouble. This will only get worse.

Are you from Britain? or Europe?

I wonder how many of these types of crimes go unreported? Not just in Europe but world over. I do agree it is going to get worse as people of faith tend to be the “new” target of hate no matter what religion they practice.

Not the one you asked, but, I have many family members still in Germany and Switzerland. They have all commented on the problems in Europe.

That covers the particular opinions of your relatives in those areas of Germany and Switzerland. I wonder where the blanket statement over the whole continent came from.

If it came from an American, with all due respect, it is not an opinion I will take to have as much weight as a European one. And even then, Europe is a continent, so just as my opinions on Germany count less than that of a German, an Americans opinion on Britain is not worth as much as my own.

I think (IMHO) that it is good to know what other countries think of each other. It opens dialog and provides better information for us all.:thumbsup:

That’s something we have left out of our earlier calculations, you know. In odd places in Europe (Tunbridge Wells, for example) there may be coteries of ‘European relatives of American posters on message boards’, all of one mind - and all of one mind with the American poster, reporting with great consistence about the ‘reality’ that American paranoias about Europe are much more real than our own primitive paranoias.

We forgot that. :wink:

(FYI: in the UK, “Asian” = India and Pakistan. People from China, Korea, etc are “oriental.”)

yes I’m British. I was living in London up until last year. Before that I lived in France for many years. I too was jumped one night by a gang of “Asians” and beaten rather badly. These “Asians” were obviously out looking for an easy target to do this to, in what could only be described as a hate4 crime. This has happened to a number of my friends too. None of this is documented and there is no record of it. But don`t take my word for it, go and see for yourself what is happening over there. :thumbsup:

As a matter of interest, could you give us an indication of where on the planet you’d suggest wasn’t in “serious trouble” and what criteria you’d use to judge that?

Rather like LDNCatholic, by the way, I don’t have to do more than look out the window or go out the door to ‘see for myself’.

The Chaldean archbishop of Mosul was kidnapped and murdered this month as well. The Assyrian and Chaldean Catholics in Muslim countries are terribly persecuted for their faith. There is Catholic bashing in the US in every newspaper every which way you turn. To be a Christian nowadays, we are facing much the same persecution the early Christians received. But there’s good news…we have the rest of the story…and it comes to us in just one week…The Resurrection of the Lord. Let us pray that we one day become one body, because we have one Lord.

Slight exaggeration, surely, otherwise there must be million upon million more lions around than some of us imagined?

Are they selling tickets?

Good then you agree with me. :thumbsup:

Always been interested in the martyr argument for certain things. For instance, the fact that those pushing a gay agenda always love to circulate stories about true hate crimes, without actually saying that most of us who hold the position that homosexuality, the act, is wrong and also do not condone violence or attacks, etc.

Maybe this could be used in the same way? Our agenda must be just as valid as theirs now! :rolleyes:

Praying for the boys who attacked the priest…

I think not.

How about addressing the question about where isn’t in ‘serious trouble’?

I did in my last post, I said Alaska.

What by the way, do you mean by serious trouble? I thought the post was about faith hate attacks, I am unsure what you are talking about. What country in Europe do you live in by the way?

It must be mysteriously embedded somewhere.

What by the way, do you mean by serious trouble?

Your term.

I thought the post was about faith hate attacks,

You were attacked because of your faith?

I am unsure what you are talking about.

I’m trying to get you to be clearer.

What country in Europe do you live in by the way?

Currently, the UK.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.