Priest invalidly blessed scapular?

I was at a Franciscan Friars of the Atonement Chapel run by monk brothers and priests. I bought a brown scapular in their store, adjacent to the chapel. After purchase, I asked the priest to bless it. All he said was “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” then touched it. Is this a valid blessing for scapulars? I know that there is a specific formula for blessing them. However, I do not know if the scapulars were blessed before being packaged. Any info would be greatly appreciated

If you had already been enrolled in the brown scapular, you do not need to have any new brown scapular blessed. Just buy it and wear it.

No sacramental will be blessed before being sold, since if you purchase a blessed item the blessing is immediately gone from it.

If you have not been previously enrolled in the brown scapular, you need to have a priest enroll you in it.

were you wanting to be enrolled in the fraternity of the brown scapular? because if so, then no, you are not enrolled in it. if you just wanted the scapular blessed then yes, the scapular is blessed. but there is a certain formula blessing for being enrolled in the confraternity.

Franciscan Friars are NOT monks! They are friars! The Franciscan Rule calls for the Brothers to be very much out and about in the world (even though they live in community) serving their brothers and sisters.

The distinction between monks of other orders and Franciscan Friars may not seem like much, but there is a huge difference!

Peace and all good!

As Don says, the Franciscans are not monks, but friars. A very important distinction.

Your scapular is blessed, which is what you asked for.

If you would like to be enrolled in the confraternity, there are specific prayers for that. Many scapulars come with the prayers in the packaging. The prayers are for you. Once you are enrolled, you do not need to have any future scapulars blessed. The blessing is confered by you wearing the scapular.

If you haven’t been enrolled yet, ask your parish priest or one of the friar priests at the chapel. It would be smart to bring along the prayers and a small vial of holy water. :wink:

PS - remember that the brown scapular is not a Franciscan tradition.

[quote="andrew2101, post:1, topic:297326"]
I was at a Franciscan Friars of the Atonement Chapel run by monk brothers and priests. I bought a brown scapular in their store, adjacent to the chapel. After purchase, I asked the priest to bless it. All he said was "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" then touched it. Is this a valid blessing for scapulars? I know that there is a specific formula for blessing them. However, I do not know if the scapulars were blessed before being packaged. Any info would be greatly appreciated

[/quote]

You can simply start wearing it, it is no longer necessary to be formally enrolled, but you can be. Most important is to say prayers for others. (It is not a good luck charm.)
carmelitanacollection.com/catechesis.html

There is a short summary on the Brown Scapular here:
sistersofcarmel.com/brown...nformation.php
Practical guidelines:
mtcarmelassociation.org/scapularguide.html
More detail is here:
ocarm.org/pls/ocarm/consu...&id_pagina=207

I wear the brown scapular as part of the fivefold scapular, and previously wore the brown scapular by itself, or the scapular ring. The wool and the moving around of the scapular, which gets unbalanced, is inconvienient, but I find that inconvenience is also a blessing as it is a reminder.

The spiritual benefits are from the wearer's devotion, not the object. The Church grants indulgences, that is, remission of the temporal punishment due sin, for sins already forgiven. An indulgence may be obtained from using a crucifix, cross, rosary, scapular, or medal.

In 1967 Indulgences were revised (the latest revision is 1999), rescending all previously given, and requiring orders to re-establish them. The Carmelites did. So if you read about the indulgences for a particular scapular anywhere, keep in mind that the information given is only historical, if before 1967.

Also, on specific days, wearers of a scapular and members of certain confraternities that wear them, are eligible to obtain a plenary indulgence, under the usual conditions of: intention, in the state of grace (at least by the time of completion), sacramental confession (within 20 days), communion, vocal prayers for the intentions of The Pope, and detachment from all sin (regret for even venial sins).

These are the days for the brown scapular indulgence:

The day of investiture.
Feast of Saint Simon Stock, May 16
Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Jul 16
Feast of Elijah, the Prophet, Jul 20
Feast of Saint Therese of the Child Jesus (Lisieux), Oct1
Feast of Saint Teresa of Avila, Oct 15
Feast of The Saints of Carmel, Nov 14
Feast of Saint John of the Cross, Dec 14

The fasts are part of the Sabbatine Privilege which is not an indulgence granted by the Church. Some believe that this originated from Pope John XXII in the year 1322 in a vision of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, but it is without historical foundation. In 1613 the Holy See instructed the Carmelites to stop mentioning the “Sabbatine Privilege”, but that people may believe that The Blessed Virgin Mary will help them especially on Saturday, which is her day. Read about it here, exerpted from The Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel: Catechesis and Ritual:

carmelitanacollection.com/catechesis.html

For Church indulgence, the scapular or the scapular medal can be used.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.