Priest killed, another wounded in Phoenix

A shooting at a Catholic church in Phoenix left one priest dead and another one in critical condition, authorities said early Thursday.

cnn.com/2014/06/12/justice/arizona-church-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

guampdn.com/usatoday/article/10360871

This is at Mater Misericordiae Mission. An FSSP parish. :frowning:

A very violent attack. It will be interesting to see who is behind this. Prayers for those affected. Tragic. Concise article: boston.com/news/nation/2014/06/12/police-priest-killed-attacked-phoenix-church/gFPzncqLaWOAmtvrlShApN/story.html

Wow!

What mind of world do we live in where criminals not only rob form Churches, but then shoot the priests?!?!?!?!

May The Lord grant these priests peace

I am shocked. Lost for words. Today, I pray for this world, with great hope, that God will intervene…to bring peace…It sadly seems, our world becomes more evil by the second. There is an increase of senseless violence being seen, over the air waves, in our media daily; our morals and sense of morality is declining as a global society.

Eternal God, in whose perfect kingdom no sword is drawn
but the sword of righteousness, no strength known but the
strength of love: So mightily spread abroad your Spirit, that
all peoples may be gathered under the banner of the Prince of
Peace, as children of one Father; to whom be dominion and
glory, now and for ever. Amen.

azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2014/06/12/two-priests-stabbed-phoenix/10359901/

A 28-year-old priest was shot and killed and another wounded at a Catholic church Wednesday night near the state Capitol, a Phoenix police spokesman said.

Police were responding to a burglary call shortly after 9 p.m. near 16th Avenue and Monroe Street at the Mater Misericordiae (Mother of Mercy) Mission, Sgt. Steve Martos said.

The Diocese of Phoenix released a statement early Thursday morning identifying the slain priest as Father Kenneth Walker, who is listed as associate pastor at the Mother of Mercy Mission.

Father Joseph Terra, the pastor, was identified as the priest who survived but remained in critical but stable condition, according to the statement.

“We are stunned and deeply saddened to learn of the tragic assault perpetrated last night against Fr. Joseph Terra and Fr. Kenneth Walker, two religious order priests who belong to the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter,” the statement said.

Police said early Thursday morning that Terra, 56, was “physically harmed” but not stabbed or shot.

Praying for the repose of this Priest’s soul & for the health & recovery of those injured.

Here’s the Diocese of Phoenix statement.
diocesephoenix.org/news.php?title=Diocese-of-Phoenix-statement-on-tragic-attacks-against-priests&newsmonth=201406&story=1443261423

This is such a tragedy.

That, I believe, the Lord will use to His own means in much the same manner as He is using Christian martyrs as tens of thousands are dying for their faith in Syria/Sudan.

I am just stunned. Praying for peace.

Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Eternal rest grant unto Fr. Kenneth Walker, O Lord;
And let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace. Amen

Lord have mercy on the surviving priest, may his healing be swift and sure. Amen

My prayers and condolences go out to all involved. This is a huge loss to the FSSP and the Catholic Church as a whole.

Here is a video of Fr. Walker’s ordination in Lincoln only 2 years ago: youtube.com/watch?v=LRORqBf1lIg

Requiem Aeternam dona ei, Domine
et lux perpetua luceat ei.
Requiescat in pace. Amen.

:gopray2::gopray2::gopray2:

Father Terra was “physically harmed”, let’s hope he can identify the culprits.

Thank you for the youtube video. It makes it more personal as to this sad loss. I have received mailings from that order before.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

May the Lord accept His servant into the bosom of Heaven, granting him mercy in the face of violent death, and may the Lord continue to watch over His people. Amen.

I fear this will only increase. As often as the news reports school shootings (apparently 74 since the Sandy Hook shootings), less attention is being paid to church shootings, which seem to happen more frequently. It is not unusual for a church or cemetary to be vandalized in our area, and several religious (Catholic or otherwise) have been mugged or shot in recent years. War is always being made upon us by the Enemy, who becomes more bold as society more often embraces him and rejects the Lord.

As the OP, may I respectfully suggest using a thread in the Prayer Intentions forum for prayers, and use this thread for new/discussion about the incident.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

This is a horrific evil act.

Here’s a prayer thread for Father Walker.
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=889412

Here’s a prayer thread for Father Terra.
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=12079833#post12079833

FSSP Priest Killed in Rectory RIP Fr. Kenneth Walker - 1 other Priest Injured
For more details see…
jceworld.blogspot.ca/2014/06/fssp-priest-killed-in-rectory-rip-fr.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.