Priest killed in Civil War to be honored

JONESBORO—One hundred and fifty years ago this August, a Benedictine priest became the first Catholic chaplain in U.S. military history to be killed in action.

Father Emmeran Bliemel, the military chaplain of the 10th Tennessee, died on Aug. 31, 1864, while ministering to soldiers during the Battle of Jonesboro in Georgia.

georgiabulletin.org/news/2014/07/priest-killed-in-civil-war-to-be-honored/

Very interesting story that surprised me, the young Priest actually lived in Pennsylvania early on.

Close to 1,500 Confederates died at the battle of Jonesboro as the article points out. A very harsh war.

Peace and all Good!

A very interesting article-thanks for posting!

The article is unexpected and puts out so many details, it’s hard to just grasp upon reading it one time. The Colonel of the Division was named Grace.

The colonel of the 10th Tennessee, William Grace, was among those who went down in the attack. The stretcher-bearers and Father Bliemel found him, and the 32-year-old priest knelt beside the Colonel to hear his confession. While pronouncing the words of absolution, the priest was suddenly struck in the head and fell dead on top of Colonel Grace.

Though unrelated to the story, I just found out that the brother of John Wilkes Booth may have saved Robert Lincoln in an accident.

Edwin Booth saved Abraham Lincoln’s son,[9] Robert, from serious injury or even death. The incident occurred on a train platform in Jersey City, New Jersey. The exact date of the incident is uncertain, but it is believed to have taken place in late 1864 or early 1865, shortly before Edwin’s brother, John Wilkes Booth, assassinated President Lincoln.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Booth#Robert_Lincoln

Fascinating detail I thought I’d add.

Peace and All Good!

Yeah, I’m definitely going to re read the article a few times to get the most from it :slight_smile:

That is fascinating, thanks for sharing!! Life is stranger than fiction sometimes.

Wonderful that he is finally being honored. May he rest in peace.

Great info. Thanks for sharing with us.

I agree, that was a great article, PathFinder. The imagery at the end of the story is poignant, to say the least.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.