Priest leaves in the middle of mass?

Hello,

I've been nodicing something strange that has been happening at my parish lately. At my church, we are blessed with 3 priests and a deacon. Typicly, during the main mass of the day, two priests and a deacon will be in it. The celebrent will do his role, the deacon his, yet the other priest will simply enter the sanctuary for the homily, and then leave. He will then comeback 20 minutes later to distribute communion. What is the point of this? Is this allowed by church law? One other question I have deals with the holy saturday mass. All 3 priests were serving as well as the deacon. At the start of the liturgy of the eucharist, the main celebrant literly swiched seats and alowed the concelebrent to take full control of the mass. Is this also allowed?

Certainly a priest other than the celebrant can give the homily. Additional priests and deacons can come out to assist with communion.

Both of these things happen regularly - especially if the Pastor or a visiting homilist give the homily.

When priests are concelebrating, they each say a part of the EP. The main celebrant is the one who says the words of consecration, but he does not have to give the homily or say they entire EP.

If you have specific questions about how things are done at your parish, you should ask your pastor.

[quote="Daniel1Catholic, post:1, topic:321148"]
Hello,

I've been nodicing something strange that has been happening at my parish lately. At my church, we are blessed with 3 priests and a deacon. Typicly, during the main mass of the day, two priests and a deacon will be in it. The celebrent will do his role, the deacon his, yet the other priest will simply enter the sanctuary for the homily, and then leave. He will then comeback 20 minutes later to distribute communion. What is the point of this? Is this allowed by church law? One other question I have deals with the holy saturday mass. All 3 priests were serving as well as the deacon. At the start of the liturgy of the eucharist, the main celebrant literly swiched seats and alowed the concelebrent to take full control of the mass. Is this also allowed?

[/quote]

This is very normal. In a parish with multiple masses, one way it usually happens is that each mass will have a different priest (or they will alternate, based on number) but only one priest will give the homily for all the masses. For the homily in which a non-celebrating priest is giving the sermon, he simply comes in at the proper part of the mass to give it.

But the main celebrant, wearing the fancy chasuble and vestments, literaly stood up from his seat, (which was all fancy), and swiched spots with another priest, who then said the entire eucharistic prayer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.