Priest led prayer to St. Michael needs to return to the Holy Mass

I feel that it has caused peril and ignorance since this prayer to the guardian of the Catholic Church, St. Michael the Archangel was suspended after the Second Vatican Council.

This society has been spiraling into satanic chaos especially since the 20th century.

Here is a reminder of why Pope Leo XIII had this power prayer of exorcism authored (From Fr. Gabriel Amorth’s ‘An Exorcist Tells His Story’ Pgs 37-38):

What are the origins of this prayer? Here is what the magazine Ephemerides Liturgicae reported in 1995 on Pages 58-59:

**Father Domenico Pechenino writes: "I do not remember the exact year. One morning the great Pope Leo XIII had celebrated a Mass and, as usual, was attending a Mass of thanksgiving. Suddenly, we saw him raise his head and stare at something above the celebrant’s head. He was staring motionlessly, without batting an eye. His expression was one of horror and awe; the color and look on his face changing rapidly. Something unusual and grave was happening in him.

"Finally, as though coming to his senses, he lightly but firmly tapped his hand and rose to his feet. He headed for his private office. His retinue followed anxiously and solicitously, whispering ‘Holy Father, are you not feeling well? Do you need anything?’ He answered: ‘Nothing, nothing’.

About half an hour later, he called for the Secretary of the Congregation of Rites and, handing him a sheet of paper, requested that it be printed and sent to all the ordinaries around the world. What was that paper? It was the prayer that we recite with the people at the end of every Mass . It is the plea to Mary and the passionate request to the Prince of the heavenly host, beseeching God to send Satan back to hell."

Pope Leo XIII instructed to kneel during those prayers. What we just reported was published in newspaper La settimana del clero, March 30, 1947, but it does not give the source of the information. However, we were able to verify that the prayer was indeed sent to the ordinaries in 1886, under unusual circumstances. A reliable witness, Cardinal Nasalli Rocca, in his 1946 Lenten Pastoral Letter to the Diocese of Bologna, wrote: “Leo XIII himself wrote that prayer. The sentence ‘The evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls’ has a historical explanation that was many times repeated by his private secretary, Monsignor Rinaldo Angeli. Leo XIII truly saw, in a vision, demonic spirits who were congregating on the Eternal City (Rome). The prayer that he asked all the Church to recite was the fruit of that experience. He would recite that prayer with strong, power voice: We heard it many a time in the Vatican Basilica. Leo XIII also personally wrote an exorcism that is included in the Roman Ritual (1954 Edition, XII C. III, p. 863 and following). He recommended that bishops and priests read these exorcisms often in their dioceses and parishes. he himself would recite them often throughout the day.”**

Prayer to St. Michael

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protector against the wickedness and snares of the devil; may God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

I thought that this was not a part of a mass but rather a devotion that happened after the final blessing. There is nothing stopping anyone from praying it at any time. I do it on my own at various times of day. Simply having the priest lead it after mass will not ensure that people stick around to pray it. There are plenty of people who leave right after receiving communion so I don’t think an extra prayer will slow them down one bit.

Pope Leo XIII ordered this prayer to be said after all Masses. Of course, you can say it at any time, but many Catholics do not pray it on their own. Prayers are most powerful when said in numbers, in a community such as after Mass. This is what was intended. And this is what needs to be restored.

If tepid Catholics want to be disrespectful and leave right after Holy Communion, then they need to be prayed for. But those that leave Mass early are no reason to justify not bringing back what is so crucial at this time in history.

yea, i definately wish they kept ALL the leonine prayers (3 hail mary’s, 1 salve regina, and 1 st. michael exorcism) for after the mass…and…as for those people leaving mass early…well…they’re the ones we’re praying for :smiley:

Pope Leo XIII ordered this prayer to be said after all Masses.

**1. Not true. The Leonine prayers (not just the prayer to St. Michael) were appointed to be said only after LOW masses–and then not necessarily all of them. Their original intention was for protection of the temporal sovereignty of the Holy See, which became a dead issue under Pius XI, who changed their intention to the conversion of Russia.

1. The Leonine prayers were NEVER part of the Mass, therefore they cannot “return” to it.

2. What one pope requires a later pope can change. This has already happened.

Actually, there are traditional appointed Offices of Preparation and Thanksgiving to be said before and after Communion. The Leonine Prayers were not among them.

And the supposed vision of Pope Leo XIII is a pious fable.**

Fr. Gabriele Amorth, Vatican Exorcist, who included the information in his book that is the basis for this thread, is a qualified, legitimate source.

Several of the priests in this area do start the faithful in saying it after daily Mass, but I have never heard it said after a Sunday Mass.

In the prayer books we own, it is not under the post communion prayers, but in another section for prayers said in specific circumstances (for the sick, to resist temptation, etc.)

We say it after daily Mass, not Sundays.

Perhaps this link will help.

Yes, it helped very much. First, you failed to mention that I asked for proof that Pope Leo’s vision was a “pious tale” as you said. The truth is, we don’t know. I, for one, find no proof that it was false, just the modernist’s claims, born from a distaste for anything which deals with supernatural visions or occurances. (Note how long we went with no mention of Fatima").

[quote]FROM YOUR LINK:

The original legislation prescribing the Leonine Prayers says they are to be recited after every Low Mass (i.e., Mass without singing),[33] while subsequent decrees speak rather of reciting the prayers after Private Mass. Over the years, a number of questions arose over the issue of when it would be lawful to omit the prayers. The Sacred Congregation of Rites issued a number of decrees on the subject. The meaning of some of the decrees is not absolutely clear, and rubricists (experts in liturgical law) were not able to reach complete agreement in interpreting them.[34]

The Leonine Prayers may be omitted after a Low Mass which:
  • Takes the place of a Solemn Mass (e.g., an or*dina*tion or a funeral Mass).
  • Has the privileges of a Solemn Votive Mass pro re gravi (e.g., the Sacred Heart Votive Mass on First Fri*day).
  • Is celebrated with a certain solemnity (e.g., a Nup*tial Mass, the Mass following the Bless*ing of Ashes on Ash Wednesday).
  • Takes the place of the main (“parochial”) Mass on Sun*day and is “celebrated with a cer*tain solem*nity” (e.g., As*perges before*hand, prayer for the government afterwards, etc.).
  • Is followed by a sacred function or pious ex*cer*cise, without the celebrant departing from the sanc*tuary (e.g., Benediction, Novena, etc. after Mass).

[/quote]

These prayers were recited to call upon St. Michael for protection against Satan and in honor of the Virgin’s request to pray for the conversion of Russia.
In the pre-Vatican II Church, the above list states the conditions upon which we were allowed to omit the Leonine prayers.

And, again from your link, we find the expected facts:
** Vatican II (1962–1965), of course, had refused to condemn Communism, while Paul VI after his election in 1963 began to take the first tentative steps toward building what would come to be known as the “Vatican-Moscow Axis.” Since the Leonine Prayers were a reminder that Moscow was conducting a persecution, they were among the first things to go.

In 1964, even before the Council closed, the Vatican issued a liturgical instruction which contained the memorably brutal phrase: “The Last Gospel is omitted; the Leonine Prayers are suppressed.”[38] Under the circumstances, a more appropriate verb would have been “liquidated” or “purged.”[39]**

The Prayer to St. Michael didn’t have a chance. Those who ran their diocese & their parishes “in the spirit of Vatican II” felt that the Leonine Prayers were just “Too Catholic”.

It could equally well be argued that the saying of the PtSM caused the rise of totalitarian regimes - they came after it was prescribed. Not before - after.

So much for the illogic that sees the present state of the Church as the result of discontinuing it :rolleyes: Maybe the CC would be OK, if only some people did not persist in saying it :wink: After all, it caused WW1 & WW2 - if it were restored, WW3 would happen :eek:; as the past warns us, so clearly. :stuck_out_tongue:

We say it after every Mass - weekdays and Sundays, too. It is recited after the final blessing and our priest always includes a reminder to recite it as one of the announcements he says before the final blessing. The priest does not “lead” it - it is just a spontaneously begun recitation after the recessional hymn ends.

It is said after the Final Blessing at our parish as well ( all Masses)

As noted, even in the Tridentine Mass it was said after the Final Blessing (and therefore after Mass), so there is no reason it cannot be said by a parish even now.

The following link by Fr. Anthony Cekada gives the history of the Leonine Prayers.

traditionalmass.org/articles/article.php?id=16&catname=1

In it, he also debunks the idea that they were composed in response to an alleged vision of Pope Leo XIII.

Fr. Cekada is a member of the sede-vacantist SSPV. If there were ever a man who would want this fable to be true, it would be he. But he bravely faces the nonsense about what he calls a “dubious story.”

Therefore I think he can be trusted on this point, even if I disagree with his eccelsiology.

Please understand I say nothing against these prayers as such, but I’m trying to correct false impressions about them.

But, then, it begs another question? Was this prayed after the proclamation of the second Gospel (in the EF)? After the final blessing, is not the Prologue to the Gospel accordng to St. John proclaimed?

That would be good for two reasons. 1. To say the Prayer of exorcism. 2. So it help the people to stay till Mass is over.

In our Parish we pray a prayer that was made up by a member of our Parish. It is said at the end of the petitions. I would rather say the prayer to St. Michael instead. I know the prayer is supposed to be said after Mass.

All of this begs the question how on Earth did the Church manage to survive those 1800-some years without the Prayer to St Michael ever being said anywhere - by anyone - let alone after Mass! :eek:

Yes, they were recited after the Last Gospel (which until 1956 could be either St. John or a Proper Gospel. --sorry, couldn’t resist the pedant hat…:p)

1. The Prayer to St. Michael among the Leonine prayers is NOT a prayer of exorcism. While there is a considerably longer prayer of Exorcism invoking St. Michael (and I believe attributed to Leo XIII), this is not it.

2. If people are going to leave before Mass is over, they are going to leave. Non-required aliturgical devotions will not motivate them to stay.

3. The Leonine Prayers, as has already been noted. are NOT required to be said after Mass, and have not been since 1965,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.