Priest mentioned we are 'saved'

On Ash Wednesday, at the end of mass, the priest suprised me by pretty much saying "we are saved". The mass was in spanish, so basically he said that a lot of people worry about whether they are going to heaven or not, and he said "We are saved" in spanish, "we are saved, we are being saved and we will be saved"

To me it pretty much came off like he was saying we are 'already saved', but then he said "we are being saved", so it was kind of confusing.

I am afraid some of the Catholics who only attend on ash wednesday understood it as "oh we are saved, cool." and probably not comeback to mass till Easter.

Are we not supposed to workout our salvation in fear and trembling? The reality is few will be saved. The road is narrow. Of course we must trust in the Lord.

Just venting my concern....he is a good priest, but that just came out wrong. And I am sorry if I misunderstoood through my own fault in no way do I want to slander him. Please pray for him, as he also has had surgery and health issues recently

Probably when a Catholic, what more a priest, say that lines, it is pretty much an encouragement without mentioning the qualification. Though it should not be said that way but sometimes we do take it for granted that people know what we mean. And how true it is! Thing we take for granted may not be the same for others who do not have the knowledge.

Father should have qualified his statement with, that is, if only we believe and strictly follow the teaching of the Church and live it out in our lives. But then again how boring this would be for those who already known. That is the thing for a priest. When he speaks from the pulpit, he must take into consideration that the congregation needs to start from level zero knowledge-wise. His homilies must be very basic and when he goes into the complicated part, he has to explain from the beginning.

Should not be a problem. You are right though that we should work our salvation in fear and trembling but sometimes for Catholics, that is an unspoken truth.;)

God bless.

[quote="Maria1993, post:1, topic:315409"]
On Ash Wednesday, at the end of mass, the priest suprised me by pretty much saying "we are saved". The mass was in spanish, so basically he said that a lot of people worry about whether they are going to heaven or not, and he said "We are saved" in spanish, "we are saved, we are being saved and we will be saved"

To me it pretty much came off like he was saying we are 'already saved', but then he said "we are being saved", so it was kind of confusing.

I am afraid some of the Catholics who only attend on ash wednesday understood it as "oh we are saved, cool." and probably not comeback to mass till Easter.

Are we not supposed to workout our salvation in fear and trembling? The reality is few will be saved. The road is narrow. Of course we must trust in the Lord.

Just venting my concern....he is a good priest, but that just came out wrong. And I am sorry if I misunderstoood through my own fault in no way do I want to slander him. Please pray for him, as he also has had surgery and health issues recently

[/quote]

I do not think it came off wrong. When Father is saying Mass, he cannot say two Masses at one time, for those who attend weekly and those who attend on a holiday. Father said it perfectly. We ARE saved, we ARE BEING saved and we HOPE to be saved if we perserve to the very end. I suggest praying for those who just attend Mass 2 or 3 times a year as well. There is nothing wrong with Fr saying that we are saved at all. Thank you for showing concern!

The thing is, we ARE saved. However, we are also being saved and we are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. All of these concepts are Biblical. Catholicism isn't an "either this" or "that" faith. We are a "both" "and" faith. Jesus also teaches that those who have ears to hear will receive His message. The priest's message may come off wrong for those who want to hear what they want to hear and may come off right for those who hear what they need to hear.

merely for conversation, presumption is a word that covers this.
In that to have a “presumption” of Heaven for ourselves is a sin.
we should have a "compunction’ to not knowing.

in an honesty, we live in a time of uneducated to know what words mean, so its difficult for us to know our faith, and our obligations and Truth…

it is politically correct to correct others of their spelling as an igonrance to the fact of a lack of education of an ignorance to not know the launguage and words what they mean…
secularism demands ignorance of religion, words and meaning of, so people dont know Truth…

Many Catholics, I'm afraid to say, think that being a Catholic is enough. :( But we must know scripture, and what the Church teaches about scripture. Not long ago, the RCIA group was mentioned. It's a small group, but it was said that at least one Catholic "sponser" knew nothing about Adam and Eve. That is truly sad. We can't just leave it up to the priest, we have to study as well. Imagine going to school and never doing any homework. We'd most probably flunk that class. Let's not flunk our spirituality.

I don't think that an in-depth knowledge of scripture is at all necessary for Salvation. A Christian doesn't need an in-depth knowledge of scripture in order to lives out the message of Jesus's Great Commandment. It's what you do, not what you know.

[quote="Christy_Beth, post:6, topic:315409"]
Many Catholics, I'm afraid to say, think that being a Catholic is enough. :( But we must know scripture, and what the Church teaches about scripture. Not long ago, the RCIA group was mentioned. It's a small group, but it was said that at least one Catholic "sponser" knew nothing about Adam and Eve. That is truly sad. We can't just leave it up to the priest, we have to study as well. Imagine going to school and never doing any homework. We'd most probably flunk that class. Let's not flunk our spirituality.

[/quote]

Knowing someting about Adam and Eve is theology, not spirituality.

Our spirituality is how we approach the Gospel, talke hold of it, and live it in our daily lives. Spirituality is living faith, not knowledge.

Paul had great confidence in his salvation, stating that he had run the race well and was joyfully awaiting the crown which was being held for him by God.

-Tim-

[quote="Maria1993, post:1, topic:315409"]

[/quote]

This is a very Catholic saying, I've heard it numerous times over the years, and I've heard it on EWTN a number of times from apologists and speakers, although I can't name one in particular because it has become so familiar and I have heard it so many times. It is often what the apologist uses when people say Catholics are not "saved".

We ARE saved by the blood of Christ, we are being saved because conversion is continuous, and we will be saved if we continue to trust Jesus and follow him to the end. There is no conflict in any of these statements and it is perfectly consistent with what the Church teaches. What the Catholic Church does not teach is the idea of "once saved always saved", don't misinterpret what the priest said for that, because he continues on with the rest of the equation. Look at the whole of what he has said.

Here is an explanation from a Catholic Answers tract. At the end of the article, note what the reply is for those who ask if Catholics are saved.

catholic.com/tracts/assurance-of-salvation

To all of those saying the phrase is a normal Catholic thing: doesn't there really need to be a "hope" in that last part?

ie: We are saved, we are being saved, and we hope we will be saved.

Not that I'm accusing the priest of anything, just surprised that the phrase as quoted by the OP is being called correct without qualification.

[quote="Iron_Donkey, post:10, topic:315409"]
To all of those saying the phrase is a normal Catholic thing: doesn't there really need to be a "hope" in that last part?

ie: We are saved, we are being saved, and we hope we will be saved.

Not that I'm accusing the priest of anything, just surprised that the phrase as quoted by the OP is being called correct without qualification.

[/quote]

He did actually mention that, that we hoped to be saved.
It just came off like he was saying "We are already saved" and would be presumptious, but I believe I must pay attention to the context.:blush:

We are saved, we are being saved, and we hope to be saved is how it was writen in a book I'm reading from CA. This book has the NIHIL OBSTAT and IMPRIMATUR, which means there should be no objection in believing that.

I would humbly add, that we should joyfully await our crowns, if we run good race, persevering to the end, as we work out said salvation with fear and trembling. :)

Well when a osas person asks if I'm saved I say

I was saved when Jesus was on the cross
I was saved at baptism
I am saved with my daily actions
And I will be saved when Jesus comes again

[quote="Adamski, post:13, topic:315409"]
Well when a osas person asks if I'm saved I say

I was saved when Jesus was on the cross
I was saved at baptism
I am saved with my daily actions
And I will be saved when Jesus comes again

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="Brendan_64, post:7, topic:315409"]
I don't think that an in-depth knowledge of scripture is at all necessary for Salvation. A Christian doesn't need an in-depth knowledge of scripture in order to lives out the message of Jesus's Great Commandment. It's what you do, not what you know.

[/quote]

Ignorance of Scripture, is Ignorance of Christ"
--St. Jerome

Actually, Catholics do need to read and understand Scripture.....can you tell I just came from a study group on Dei Verbum.?

D.V. 25: The sacred synod also earnestly and especially urges all the Christian faithful, especially Religious, to learn by frequent reading of the divine Scriptures the "excellent knowledge of Jesus Christ" (Phil. 3:8). "For ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.