Priest not wearing clerical clothing

Hello. :slight_smile: At my parish, we are getting a new priest. But for the time being, we have a retired priest filling in. This priest doesn’t wear clerical clothing. He just wears a white button-down shirt and black dress pants. Is this allowed? It’s strange that he doesn’t dress like a priest.

Thank you for answering my question. :blessyou:

20 lashes!

:rotfl:

is this priest preaching heresy,schism,or immorality ?

seriously, I am curious too. Temps reached 102 the other day, there is no A/C in the church, and I saw the priest in his black attire and thought, My goodness, that poor man. And then to add the vestments?!

:eek:
:coolinoff:

is this during Mass ?

Many are just getting to liberal and comfortable. A priest at my parish once told me he does not wear it because does not want people to know he is a priest? How sad! My advice to him:

Then I guess it is a clue it is time to find a new profession-eh Father?

He did not respond

With a wet noodle!!!

Would you expect a priest to “dress like a priest” when on a bike ride across Iowa in 5,000% humidity or out on the golf course?

How 'bout a priest from a very small parish showing up in fishing gear?

[quote="tabycat, post:8, topic:328466"]

With a wet noodle!!!

[/quote]

Report him to the Bishop, revoke his baptism, and excommunicate his mother for raising such a heretical son!! :eek:

Seriously, why don't you ask the priest?

[quote="Nicea325, post:7, topic:328466"]
Many are just getting to liberal and comfortable. A priest at my parish once told me he does not wear it because does not want people to know he is a priest? How sad! My advice to him:

He did not respond

[/quote]

As a result of the clergy sex scandal, many priests choose not to wear their clericals if they are out in public like shopping or dining out with family or friends (not church functions or hospital visits) because they have had the word "pedophile!" and other obscenities hurled at them.

Our priests need our support. I wonder how many of US would last in this "profession"?

[quote="coachdennis, post:12, topic:328466"]
As a result of the clergy sex scandal, many priests choose not to wear their clericals if they are out in public like shopping or dining out with family or friends (not church functions or hospital visits) because they have had the word "pedophile!" and other obscenities hurled at them.

Our priests need our support. I wonder how many of US would last in this "profession"?

[/quote]

oh,my goodness, I never thought of that. Understandable. But are they required dress in their clericals when going about their personal life?
They certainly need our prayers.

[quote="Nicea325, post:7, topic:328466"]

He did not respond

[/quote]

Of course he didn't respond; there isn't a polite response to such rudeness and disrespect.

From the horse’s mouth:

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/canon-law/complementary-norms/canon-284-clerical-garb.cfm

Thank you!

[quote="bben15, post:1, topic:328466"]
Hello. :) At my parish, we are getting a new priest. But for the time being, we have a retired priest filling in. This priest doesn't wear clerical clothing. He just wears a white button-down shirt and black dress pants. Is this allowed? It's strange that he doesn't dress like a priest.

Thank you for answering my question. :blessyou:

[/quote]

Would you expect a Priest to be in his collar when riding a bike across Iowa in July when the temp is in the 90's with 5,000% humidity? Would you expect a Priest to be in his collar when on the golf course? A priest of mine from my childhood had a small herd of cattle. Would you expect him to be in his collar when pulling a calf from a cow that was having troubles calving?

[quote="garn9173, post:17, topic:328466"]
Would you expect a Priest to be in his collar when riding a bike across Iowa in July when the temp is in the 90's with 5,000% humidity? Would you expect a Priest to be in his collar when on the golf course? A priest of mine from my childhood had a small herd of cattle. Would you expect him to be in his collar when pulling a calf from a cow that was having troubles calving?

[/quote]

I don't see that any of these situations make a collar unreasonable, except maybe the cow part, but why don't they call the vet instead? Cows don't get extreme unction.

[quote="garn9173, post:17, topic:328466"]

[/quote]

When I was a kid we had a priest who gardened & drove his tractor in his cassock all the time. Sadly, he wasn't so priestly in other aspects of his life.

OTOH, I've had many priests dress in civvies unless they were doing parish/hospital visits and they were devout, excellent priests. A cassock/roman collar does not a holy man make.

Most priests I've been in contact with in the last 17 years only wore clericals for official business. Day to day at the office or about town, no.

[quote="SecretaryMonday, post:18, topic:328466"]
I don't see that any of these situations make a collar unreasonable, except maybe the cow part, but why don't they call the vet instead? Cows don't get extreme unction.

[/quote]

Wearing a Roman Collar for golf? Really? And perhaps you should speak to some priests, as I have, who find themselves unable to even use a men's room when they are out in their clerical suit -- lest they be accused of something by a scam artist making a false accusation, against which, in our current environment, a priest is virtually helpless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.