Priest offering 3 Masses in a row?

We recently had a change in priests, and our new priest has been introducing some changes. He is planning something for All Soul's Day that I have never heard of before.

He will be offering our usual daily 8:00am Mass (for the intention "For the Parish"), following by a second Mass (for the intention "For all the Faithful Departed"), followed by a third Mass (for the intention "For the Holy Father"). He said that All Soul's Day is one of two times in the year when a priest is permitted to offer more than one Mass in a day. (He didn't say what the other time was.) He also said it was permitted to receive Communion at all three Masses.

Have you ever heard of this? This goes against all I have learned before about how many Masses priests may offer in a day and how many times the faithful may receive in a day. It also doesn't make sense to me, why a Masses needs to be offered 3 separate times; I'm pretty sure a Mass could be offered for one intention, and the priest could include the other two intentions in his personal intentions.

I confess I smiled when I saw the title, because I understood where you would be heading :smiley: There must be some fun associated with being a cradle Catholic (I suppose you are a convert :wink: ).

Well, it’s a special dispensation for All Souls Day. In my parish the same will happen. :slight_smile:

And the reasoning is: the more masses, the better. I suppose the particular rationale for this dispensation is to storm Heaven with masses for the defunct.

Three Masses is permitted on All Souls, receiving Communion thrice is not. Communion may only be received twice daily, and the second time must be at a Mass… unless there is some exception for All Souls, which I am not aware of.

[quote="sicutincensum, post:2, topic:303451"]
I confess I smiled when I saw the title, because I understood where you would be heading :D There must be some fun associated with being a cradle Catholic (I suppose you are a convert ;) ).

Well, it's a special dispensation for All Souls Day. In my parish the same will happen. :)

[/quote]

Actually, I am a cradle Catholic! But this is the first I've heard of back-to-back Masses.

I found this:

"The importance of All Souls Day was made clear by Pope Benedict XV (1914-22), when he granted all priests the privilege of celebrating three Masses on All Souls Day: one, for the faithful departed; one for the priest's intentions; and one for the intentions of the Holy Father. Only on a handful of other very important feast days are priests allowed to celebrate more than two Masses."
catholicism.about.com/od/holydaysandholidays/p/All_Souls_Day.htm

So, how will this work? At the end of the first Mass, will the priest say "Go forth, the Mass has ended" and then kiss the altar and then recess; and then a minute later process up again?? Are the same readings, responsorial psalm, and gospel read at all 3 Masses? Would it be considered poor manners to leave after the first or second Mass? (I can't stay for all 3 for sure, and maybe not even 2 Masses.)

[quote="jpjd, post:5, topic:303451"]

So, how will this work?

[/quote]

You would really have to ask your priest. He can do it any way he wants.

At the end of the first Mass, will the priest say "Go forth, the Mass has ended" and then kiss the altar and then recess; and then a minute later process up again??

[/quote]

Well, maybe, but I doubt it. Typically I've seen masses like this offered at, for example, 9, 10, and 11 a.m. Daily Mass is about 30 minutes, even with extra prayers, it should not be a 2 minute turn around, but more like 15-30 minutes.

Are the same readings, responsorial psalm, and gospel read at all 3 Masses?

[/quote]

Yes.

Would it be considered poor manners to leave after the first or second Mass? (I can't stay for all 3 for sure, and maybe not even 2 Masses.)

[/quote]

No, you can go to none, 1, 2, or 3. You may receive the Eucharist at up to 2 of the masses.

All Souls Day is not a Holy Day of Obligation so technically you don’t have to attend Mass. And even though the priest is saying 3 masses you don’t have to go to them. The priest must receive communion at every Mass he celebrates so he can receive three times, but not anyone else.

All helpful comments, thank you! I think my confusion on how this will work derives from how this was worded in our bulletin. It said Friday Masses would be at “8:00am followed by a 2nd & 3rd Mass.” It made me think they would be somehow connected. But I see now that although the start times were not given, it’s not like the 3 Masses will be running one into the other.

This is perfectly normal. All priests are allowed to offer three Masses on Christmas and All Souls Days.The missal lists threee separate Mass forms for this purpose. It is a centuries-old custom of the Church. The same happens at EF parishes. It matters not whether the Masses are back-to-back or not.

On other days, one Mass pert priest is the norm. However, due to priestly shortages, many priests are given permission by their bishops to binate (celebrate two Masses) or trinate (celebrated three Masses), at least on Sundays and holy days.

CIC Canon 919
1. One who is to receive the Most Holy Eucharist is to abstain from any food or drink, with the exception only of water and medicine, for at least the period of one hour before Holy Communion.
2. A priest who celebrates the Most Holy Eucharist two or three times on the same day may take something before the second or third celebration even if the period of one hour does not intervene.
3. Those who are advanced in age or who suffer from any infirmity, as well as those who take care of them, can receive the Most Holy Eucharist even if they have taken something during the previous hour.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.