Priest Offering Peace

So a few months ago I started going to a new mass at the church on my campus, and during the sign of peace the priest left the sanctuary, came up to me, and offered me the sign of peace. I think he only did that to me, but he might have also done that for the other person sitting in my row. I had never had that happen to me before but I brushed it off thinking that it was just his “style” of doing mass or because I was new. However, I looked it up later and read from several sources that at things like weddings or if there is an esteemed person in attendance, the priest may offer people the sign of peace, but are never supposed to leave the sanctuary when doing so.

Why might my priest have done this to me (an unremarkable female college student) then? Was it possibly just a welcome? He has never done it to me again nor have I witnessed him do that for anyone else since.

Welcome. ?
Thought you were someone else. ?
Let it go.

I have a feeling it was because he recognized that you were new and he wanted to make sure you felt welcome. If that’s the case, I think it’s pretty cool that he noticed…:wink:

It’s happened to me before and I just thought it was a nice gesture. He also offered the sign of peace to my children.

Mary.

I suspect this is the same priest you’ve mentioned before? I know it’s difficult, but try not to read anything into it. He was simply being a good priest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.