Priest shortage ideas

This morning my priest talked about the priest shortage it has been a topic he brings up a lot
I was thinking of what ideas could be done that fits withing church teachings that could have an immediate impact (within 10 years) develop more priests

1)Evangelize non practing Catholics bringing them back

2) evangelize non Catholics

3) make all the church teachings clear

4) evangelize Anglican, Lutheran and orthodox clergy

5) help widowers discern for priesthood

6) have a person at each parish that assists children to decern a vocation, (marriage is a vocation also)

7) help men and women who are divorced and not remarried decern a place in the church

8) make being a priest a Intersting option; I know of a priest that is a regular skier and another I have heard talk that is a regular surfer.

Any other ideas I would like to write a short paper on it so I can be clear of the possibilities or discuss my ideas

[quote="Adamski, post:1, topic:317104"]
This morning my priest talked about the priest shortage it has been a topic he brings up a lot
I was thinking of what ideas could be done that fits withing church teachings that could have an immediate impact (within 10 years) develop more priests

6) have a person at each parish that assists children to decern a vocation, (marriage is a vocation also)

7) help men and women who are divorced and not remarried decern a place in the church

8) make being a priest a Intersting option; I know of a priest that is a regular skier and another I have heard talk that is a regular surfer.

Any other ideas I would like to write a short paper on it so I can be clear of the possibilities or discuss my ideas

[/quote]

0) Catechize with orthodox, authentic teaching by orthodox catechists. Even the tough issues, like contraception and abortion.

The reality of the "Priest shortage" is a little more complicated. The media and secular society in general, have done a good job of convincing us that we have a massive shortage. The reality is not so much a shortage, per se, but a shortage of 1) cash and 2) quality candidates.

1) Fact, many potential seminarians are turned away do to lack of funding. This is especially true in the developing world, where seminaries are over-flowing, and simply do not have the money. Sadly, this is also true in the developed world, just to a lesser extent.

2) Fact, since the 80's, due to the sex-abuse scandal, the Church began instituting very strict screening standards (e.g. pyschological) that eliminate many candidates either before, or during seminary.

A side note, is that studies have shown that many potential candidates are talked-out of joining the seminary by their' own parents, whose measure of success in life is secular wealth and achievement.

What we can do to help?
1) Donate.
2) Spread the word (as you mentioned)
3) Encourage those around us who are interested (in case their' parents aren't)

God Bless

Also, check-out the following resource:
vocationboom.com/

[quote="cavaleriesoldaa, post:3, topic:317104"]
1) Fact, many potential seminarians are turned away do to lack of funding. This is especially true in the developing world, where seminaries are over-flowing, and simply do not have the money. Sadly, this is also true in the developed world, just to a lesser extent.

[/quote]

Is this really true? Because I would gladly donate to the FSSP if I knew their seminaries needed the money and were turning away priests because of it. Maybe one day they could get a presence here in Los Angeles! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

News date 2011:

"The number of seminarians in the United States has risen to 3,608--the highest number since the early 1990s--with some seminaries experiencing their highest enrollment in decades.

"In Minnesota, the archdiocesan seminary in St. Paul has its largest enrollment since 1980, while enrollment at the Pontifical College Josephinum in Ohio is the largest since the 1970s. Theological College in Washington is at its maximum enrollment.

“I'm tremendously impressed with the quality of the candidates, their zeal,” said Father Phillip Brown, who was appointed rector of Theological College in March. “We're seeing a real renewal of the priesthood.”

"Under Blessed John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI, the Church worldwide has been blessed with a priestly vocation boom. The number of major seminarians surged from 63,882 in 1978 to 117,978 in 2009, an increase of nearly 85%, outstripping world population growth (58%) and Catholic population growth (56%) during the same time period."

News date 2013:

ncregister.com/daily-news/benedicts-men-u.s.-vocations-strengthen-during-his-eight-year-papacy

Peace,
Ed

[/quote]

I am convinced the urgent thing to do in this regard is to be more sacramentaly authentic. To become authentic in how bishops steward the sacraments especially baptism and Confirmation.
Candidates for Confirmation must be evangelised first. Church teaching here urgently needs to be implemented. Bishops need to make the distinction between those having merely a weak faith and those who are not sincere who do not really intend what the sacrament intends. Candidates need to be considered intelligently with open questions not leading questions. If they do not sincerely intend what the sacrament intends they must be asked to wait. Summa theological Vol 3 q 68 a and 69. Regarding Candidates for confirmation. They need to want tzo be disciples and wittnesses ( Catechism.)
In modern sacramental practice there is the widespread belief that the sacrament will make up for the lack of sincerity or intention in the recipient. St. Thomas does not agree.
There is widespread falsity in the sacramental sign as a result. this is very damaging. Opportunities to evangelise are lost. In effect we are lieing about what it means to become a Christian. This undermines our entire mission as a Church. Thus sacramentaly disobedient bishops do not attract vocations. How can men submit in sacramental obedience to a sacramentaly disobedient bishop? How can the holy Spirit be inspiring men to engage in sacramental sacriledge. Current practices may have fitted Christendom where most sincerely sought the sacraments for what they are. but today many seek the sacraments for social reasons. Natuirally more and more just do not seek them. We are in a post Christendom sacramental crises. Vocations will increase when our bishops have the great courage needed to steward the sacraments authentically in a post Christendom world. lets do all we can to make our bishops aware of this key problem. So my answer is Authentic stewardship of Baptism and confirmation.

So, as Catholics, even here. We need to help to get the word out.

Peace,
Ed

Is that your conclusion or a question?
You do appear to agree with my point.

Uh, just a word of encouragement.

Ed

[quote="edwest2, post:6, topic:317104"]
News date 2011:

"The number of seminarians in the United States has risen to 3,608--the highest number since the early 1990s--with some seminaries experiencing their highest enrollment in decades.

"In Minnesota, the archdiocesan seminary in St. Paul has its largest enrollment since 1980, while enrollment at the Pontifical College Josephinum in Ohio is the largest since the 1970s. Theological College in Washington is at its maximum enrollment.

“I'm tremendously impressed with the quality of the candidates, their zeal,” said Father Phillip Brown, who was appointed rector of Theological College in March. “We're seeing a real renewal of the priesthood.”

"Under Blessed John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI, the Church worldwide has been blessed with a priestly vocation boom. The number of major seminarians surged from 63,882 in 1978 to 117,978 in 2009, an increase of nearly 85%, outstripping world population growth (58%) and Catholic population growth (56%) during the same time period."

News date 2013:

ncregister.com/daily-news/benedicts-men-u.s.-vocations-strengthen-during-his-eight-year-papacy

Peace,
Ed

[/quote]

So happy to hear that. I wonder if they are exceptional locations and times though. It is not like that in Europe.

[quote="edwest2, post:10, topic:317104"]
Uh, just a word of encouragement.

Ed

[/quote]

Then thanks for your good will even though you do not know if you agree or not.
I am actually not at all cynical and I am enthusiastic. But I do not want to buy into that cultuire of deference that got us into trouble before. Basicly I want to protect the church. I am so thankful to all it has done for me. I love it .her. him.

A side note, is that studies have shown that many potential candidates are talked-out of joining the seminary by their' own parents, whose measure of success in life is secular wealth and achievement.

I think the use of controception is a major reason for the priest shortage at age 14 I told my parents I wanted to become a priest and my dad said "I've had a vesectimy and your our only son". I didnt understand but knew that in my family being a priest wasn't an option

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:5, topic:317104"]
Is this really true? Because I would gladly donate to the FSSP if I knew their seminaries needed the money and were turning away priests because of it. Maybe one day they could get a presence here in Los Angeles! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

FSSP in LA? Let us pray!

[quote="cavaleriesoldaa, post:4, topic:317104"]
Also, check-out the following resource:
vocationboom.com/

[/quote]

The priewst shortage will dramaticaly escalate soon. I believe the Holy Spirit will guide more into the sacerdotal vocation when bishops steward the sacraments more authenticaly. So long as there is no intellegent effort made to exclude from baptism and confirmation the insincere and those who are not yet evangelised (in the case of babies their parent) we will have few vocations. So long as bishops lack the courage to steward these sacraments well there is a block to vocatoions. Current practice is effectively lieing to all about what it means to become a Christian. It is counter productive even sacrilegious.

Having more men (married or celebate) become deacons would help the church in so many ways.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.