Priest stripped of his duties after performing Mass with a woman priest

A Milwaukee-area Catholic priest was stripped of his priestly duties after he presided over a Mass with a woman priest last month in Georgia.

On Nov. 17, the Rev. Bill Brennan, a 92-year-old Jesuit, performed a liturgy in Columbus, Ga., at which Janice Sevre-Duszynska, an ordained member of Roman Catholic advocacy group Womenpriests, which is not sanctioned by the Vatican, was a participant.
The Archdiocese of Milwaukee and his religious order, the Society of Jesus, ordered Brennan not to perform any priestly duties in public or present himself as a priest publicly.

usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/08/15698507-priest-stripped-of-duties-for-celebrating-mass-with-woman-priest

Good, it’s about time the Church starts cracking down on these disobedient clerics.

The article’s citation of the Holy Father in which they say he “denounced the priests” for supporting women’s ordination deserves a read in its entirety rather than as an out-of-context soundbite:

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2012/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20120405_messa-crismale_en.html

Viva il Papa! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

The priest in question, and the other priest who supported him, need our prayers. They seemed to act out of convictions formed in the context of their own experiences, despite the objective wrongness of their actions and words. :frowning:

I’ll ditto that. I’m fine with a smaller, obedient Church.

There is no such thing as a woman priest…they can call themselves that but it does not make it so.

Any priest who does not practice the virtue of obedience should be stripped of his duties.

Praise be to God.

Agree

:thumbsup: me too

Very true! they do need our prayers. :thumbsup:

I realize I’m swimming against the tide here, but I would have thought that at age 92, in view of the usual clouding of mental processes that accompanies such age, this might have been handled more privately and with more respect for the lifetime of service Father has given the Church. This comes in the same week that arguable the highest-profile deacon in the U.S., Deacon Bill Ditewig, formerly employed by the USCCB, was silenced by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia for co-authoring a book that, among other things, discussed the possibility of women deacons – a topic that I did not believe was prohibited or closed in the way that female priestly ordination was a prohibited topic. This is not a sign of a healthy institution.

“Roman Catholic advocacy group Womenpriests”

They should remove the word Catholic from their title.

Will the CC ever copyright the over all name “Catholic” to prevent a church or denomination from using it?

Do you have a link to an article on this?

Thanks,

It seems that the priest did not violate any biblical law, but rather the church’s controversial doctrine which has been receiving increasing scrutiny in the recent past. I think’s it’s time to consider ordaining women as priests. Most other religions do. Why not allow women to serve God in the same capacity that a male (priest) can?

Are you serious? You can’t be.

Why not?

Easy: because the Church has said so.

The Church, speaks on behalf of God. The Catholic Church does not follow other religions or the whims of society. It preaches the truth.

God Bless the Pope. We should all be praying for him so that he may be supported by the grace of God.

Because its degrading to women.

Other denominations get a lot of things wrong, that doesn’t mean the church should follow.

He’s a PRIEST. A priest is supposed to advocate, follow, teach CHURCH DOCTRINE. I’m really not seeing how anyone can think that a priest should do otherwise.

The Catholic religion is not most other religions. It is the fullness of the Truth. Why would the Church want to do less than the fullness of the Truth?

I’d love to see this as well.

patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2012/12/deacon-bill-ditewig-banned-in-philadelphia/

Found this od Deacon Kandra’s blog…looking for more.

Father Z weighed in yesterday;

wdtprs.com/blog/2012/12/promoter-of-women-deacons-cant-speak-in-archdiocese-of-philadelphia/

It’s not like the guy has been faithful all his life then all of a sudden woke up and decided to support “women priest.” He’s had a whole life time and he should know better. All one can do is pray he repents or having his duties stripped from him will be the least of his worries.

A 92 year old Jesuit!? :confused: How did that happen? :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.